Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2009, 09:43 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Curtispan's "Another 900 Mod"

This is my first computer mod and I wasn't planning on making a thread on it, but after seeing all of the others here and the 900 dedicated thread on Xtreme Systems, I couldn't resist. Let's see how it turns out!

First off, I don't have any pictures of the rig before holes were cut, seeing as how I wasn't expecting to show anyone this. Also, didn't want to offend any hardcore neatfreaks.

Some of you may have already seen the holes I've cut on the Post Your Desk thread, but here it is for the rest of you:

With my stuff inside:

As you can see, even with holes to route cables, it's still not the cleanest build. I drilled some zip tie holes on the back to keep the cables down to reduce clutter and will be ordering some longer sata cables and run them inside the hard drive mount. Also, the ide cable has been replaced with a rounded one.

Didn't take any pictures of the painting process (slipped my mind...) but here are some shots after the first coat of paint. (Enjoy the ping pong case display stand )

Shot of the side panels: (A bit too much paint on the windowless panel..)

Now on to the little extras:

And here's a problem I noticed while taking pictures:

I'm not sure what's going on here, it seems the paint is cracking. Hopefully when I apply the 2nd coat, it'll go away and leave me alone! If anyone could drop a hint as to how to fix this, it'd be much appreciated.

That's it so far, I'll post more pictures later of the finished paint job and with everything inside. Sorry for the blur on some pictures. If you have any questions, ask away!

Last edited by curtispan; September 19, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old September 19, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

looks good! need to get rid of the ide dvd though. Sata drives are like $30. Very good investment
Old September 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Yeah I've been contemplating on it for a while, maybe when I grab the 24" sata cables.

Old September 19, 2009, 09:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

What kind of paint you using? regular spray or gun? also, you going to spray a sealer onto it?
Old September 19, 2009, 10:07 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I'm using Rustoleum Universal Flat Black and Blue. It's a regular spray paint can with a better handle, so a bit of both? :P I'm going to wait and see the end result before I decide if I need to or not.

Edit: RustOleum.com

Old September 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I can't help but chuckle at how you seem to love suspending everything up in the air.

It's just funny to me, for some reason.

Also, the part where you're sharing the bike rack with computer components. Two very different worlds. Nice bikes, by the way.
Old September 20, 2009, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Paint that PSU of yours... :)

Can't wait to see the final build!
Old September 20, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

^^ And Sleeve the cables please and for good cause replace that IDE drive please :p..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 20, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

some times the metal has a hard time taking the paint and from your pics it seems to crack just a little when it dries. Try sanding in between coats it can help
Old September 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Finished everything today. Here it is:

As you can see in the first picture, there was a bit of chipping on the far left, but that was because the panel and the case were much closer together because of the layer of paint, causing them to rub against each other.

Unfortunately while painting the front bay covers, I missed the area where the hanger went through, so there's a small black spot. Other than that, I'm happy with it.