Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2009, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

well at my work we had a spare single port pro 1000/mt lying around so i chucked it into a compaq box for fun and it seemed to work alright. (the box was pretty old. an evo series desktop). The difference is when you jump from dual to quad as the quad port board is missing a couple of notches preventing it from physically plugging into the motherboard. I will let you know. The only catch when using a pci-x card in a regual pci slot is you can't really have anything pci not pci-e related plugged in or you run the risk of overloading the bus.

Old September 19, 2009, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default UPDATE NEW HARDWARE

Well i went to the post office and picked up the raid card i ordered. It also has the BBU so i have jerry rigged a back plate to it. There was some slight damage on the card but nothing that i am overly worried about. It also seems my cables a have shipped from china so here's hoping i get them soonish. Also i should be getting my case on monday. I will post pics of the case and raid card on monday.

Old September 21, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

So i got my case today so i decided to do some of the hardware build. Unfortunately i am still waiting on some key parts (CPU HSF and SAS -> Sata Cables). But i have completed quite a lot despite the lack of parts. I am very anxious as i can't even test it yet to make sure it boots.

The UPS man commeth with this massive box.

So i crack it open to find another box (+1 for compucase and double boxing.)

So here it is in all it's closed and open glory. i really like this case and it was fairly cheap at a PM of around $123.

The first step (after removing the top panel and the cross bar) was to remove the drive trays. Each tray is held in by 4 screws. Once the screws and washers are out it's simply lift up and back and out.

omg a naked dirty case :)

Now that they are both out we can get to installing the 3 in 4 bay adapters.

one done and then two :)

now before i reinstalled the bays back into the case i wanted to test fit an old cd rom of mine from a laptop to see if it would fit and it does :D

now back to reinstalling the bays. Here's what it looks like. It feels like this how the case should look from the factory :D

with all of that out of the way next came installing the motherboard.

if it looks small then your right since thats a mATX board in an eATX case :D

Next up is the raid card. This is a dell perc 5/i as recommended by a form member. I have made some changes. I have screwed a 38mm deep 40mm fan to the HS to help with cooling. I have also zip tied the BBU to a back plate for a cleanish look

next up is the cf to sata and cf card. This is pretty straigh forward.

and finally the power supply. Since this is not an HX i had to do some convincing to get it to fit nicely. I think i did ok all things considered.

there it is about 50% done. I still need to add the dualport nic, sata cables and 6 more hard drives. Then onto the software install. until then enjoy the pics.

Old September 21, 2009, 11:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Looking sweet!
Old September 22, 2009, 04:38 AM
Allstar
F@H

Liking what I see so far. Keep the pictures coming! I have a CF -> IDE that i was going to use for a project but haven't gotten to it yet. Havent decided on router/fileserver yet.

Old September 22, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i just got my HSF so i will be able to power it up tonight. But i still can't connect the raid card due to the lack of cables which should arrive either wed or thurs.

Old September 22, 2009, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default MOAR Picures

so i got the HSF installed and it worked beautifully, (it was free so ya, i was happy about that). And the unit to came to life. The mobo i got like these raid cards. Yaay. Without any hacks to the card due to smbus. Double OMG YAAAY. So i then temp hooked up a cd drive and decided to do the initial installation of freenas. (it took all of 10 minutes, that includes reboots.)

Basically it worked great without a hitch. The addtronic cf to sata worked exactly as i expected. The bios saw it as if it were a 4GB hdd so freenas had no problems installing to it.

Once free nas has been installed. (as you will see below, the only other configuration you need to do from the shell is configuring the nic in your system to dhcp. (you could do static but i prefer to do dhcp and manage ip assignments from my router using static dhcp leases)

Since i don't have a long cable the ip address space is empty. now enough jawing and onto the pics of this process. At this point i am pretty much at a stand still. I need 6 more HDD's for this beast, my dual port intel nic and the sas -> sata cables. Then i can finish the configuration of the nas and i am on my way to 8 TB bliss .

Old September 24, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I got my last remaining HDD today and should be picking up the break out cables from the post office tonight. So i should be good to start configuring it. Expect more screen shots on this and on the configuration of freenas itself.

Old September 24, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

woot! i'm quite excited to see this!
Old September 24, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default EVEN MOAR PICTURES

So as promised here are some more pictures of the build. I am pretty much done with the build. All i am waiting on now are 2 things (the array to initialize and my dual port nic). The freenas screen shots cover getting up to a basic windows style share. personally i will also be running in addition to smb/cifs. DAAP, Upnp with Transcoding and NFS.

First here are the pictures of the hardware i recieved to day and it's installation.

yaay, cables from china and their adaptec to boot :)

8 HDD Oh My thats a lot of storage.

No Cables tooo...

Mr Octopus, tooo....

Yaay Connected.

Oooh Pretty Lights.

now onto the freenas configuration.

This section leaves off from my last post.

First open up a web browser and point it to the ip of your freenas server.

You will now be prompted to enter in a username and password. The default for freenas is the following.

User: admin
Password: freenas

click on ok and you should get the default first screen.

now at this point freenas still doesn't know anything about our drives. We need to let i know about the drive. (*NOTE: since we are using a hardware raid controller the raid is configured in the RAID bios not freenas. If you were setting up software raid you add each of your disk like the following*)

First go to disks

The Management

when you click on management it should look like the following.

click on the plus sign and it will change to the following

Select the disk from the drop down box and set the other variables.

click the add button and your screen will change to the following.

click the apply button and it will change to the following.

If we were using software raid or setting up multiple raid arrays we would repeat this process until all drives were added.

The next step is to format the drive. If it's a large volume (it most likely is) i would recommend using UFS with GPT. Set the variables and hit format.

Let it do it's thing and when it has completed your screen will look similar to the following.

the array is now formatted with UFS. Quickly go back to the Disks -> Management page and the File System should now read UFS.

Now were almost there (as far as the HDD is concerned) We now must add a mount point so we can use the drive.

Go to Disks -> Mount Point

Click on the plus sign

Set the variables and choose what you want to mount.

and click the ok/apply button

click the save a restart button

now that we have the drive added and a mount point set we can create a share. Since i am using this in a movie network i am not to worried about using iSCSI or LDAP/AD Authentication i won't cover this.

First click on Services -> CIFS/SMB

Check off the enable box and set the variables and click on apply.

Now click on the Shares page and click on the plus sign.

Fill out the information and browse to the mount point you made. I am using one mount for everything. and click on apply

click apply changes

and that's it. If you browse your network the new server should be there if not give it a couple of minutes it should show up. Now you can use the share. But i advise waiting for the initialization to finish first.