Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2010, 11:11 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri5cui7 View Post
I have a question, and I didn't see the answer anywhere. What exactly are you going to use this beast for? Do you render or fold? Or is it purely a passion project?
it's a DAM good question.
Old March 11, 2010, 11:17 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri5cui7 View Post
I have a question, and I didn't see the answer anywhere. What exactly are you going to use this beast for? Do you render or fold? Or is it purely a passion project?
Rendering a little. Lots of encoding now (although I still can't find an application that uses more than 8 cores for encoding,lol) and DEFINITELY a passion build. I told myself "Why the hell not?" and just did it. lol
Old April 14, 2010, 11:38 PM
Rookie

I realize that this post may be a little dated, but I would like to say nice job on your project! I also wanted to say that I am going to tackle a build almost identical to this.

I had a problem finding anyone selling the CM Stacker 810, so I decided to purchase a Lian-Li PC-A71f full tower case. Now I realize that Lian-Li’s specs say that is supports EATX, but to me, it will support much more J I will have to Dremel out the cage at the top of the case to be able to extend my board to the full 16”.

For my processors, I am using 2.5GHz Opteron 8360’s (Barcelona) 137 Watt peak load beasts!

Here are the specs of my future system:

- Tyan S4985G3NR ($299 @ Newegg)
- 4x Barcelona 8360SE 2.5GHz CPUs
- 8x 2Gb sticks of DDR2 5300 ECC Registered
- 4x Seagate 15k SAS drives (Have yet to figure out which controller I will be using)
- 1000 Watt Silverstone PS w/ single nominal 80 amp rail (85 amp peak)
- Lian-Li modified PC-A71f case
- 4x Dynatron F558 77mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
- GTX 260 video card

I had a difficult time finding heat sink/fan and was lucky enough to stumble across PugetSystems.com, which make systems of this level and found the equipment they used.

I am doing this build for a work PC, as mine is currently a core 2 duo and when working with SQL I find it rather easy to push my 2 cores to the max. I will also be posting pictures of my progress, as well as writing about this on my blog www.osxisforbabies.com.
Old April 15, 2010, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

Steve,

You may want to look at my worklog also.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...quad-quad.html

I just ordered a Silverstone single rail 1000w, as I see that is my problem.

I would recommend against going for the quad quad right now. If I was to start right now I would get a duel g34 8-core with ddr3. You will most likely get alot better performance from that.

If you dont have the money to buy two $400-$600usd processors, just get one for now and upgrade later.
Old April 15, 2010, 02:52 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Looks like a fun build! ANd if you havent already bought the heatsinks, my supermicro 70mm tower coolers for socket 1207 will be available very shortly. Im interested to see how the modding of the lian-li goes as well, good luck with it!

Although i partially agree with whited that the G34 would be your best bet (plus you wouldn't have to mod the lian-li) but on the other hand the boards are almost impossible to find and the processors seem rare as well. On top of that, the best dodeca-core Opteron 6000-series tops out at 2.3Ghz right now. Whereas Istanbul, Shanghai and Barcelona Opterons can hit as high as 3.0ghz and are readily available, even through ebay. Just some food for thought
Old April 16, 2010, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect

It looks like every where is sold out of the g34 duel processor tyan motherboard

newegg has the 8core 2Ghz for $300. Newegg.com - AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8 x 512KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache Socket G34 115W 8-Core Server Processor

Impressive considering what you get from intel for $300.
Old April 16, 2010, 12:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

Why does it not appear on the Canadian site??? There are no AMD server CPUs on the Canadian site, only the American one....

I am highly interested in this as a summer project. I know Intel is better for F@H ... but 16 real cores? That's got to crunch and a half!
Old April 16, 2010, 12:59 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
Why does it not appear on the Canadian site??? There are no AMD server CPUs on the Canadian site, only the American one....

I am highly interested in this as a summer project. I know Intel is better for F@H ... but 16 real cores? That's got to crunch and a half!
As proven by numerous attempts to get overclocked i7 workstations to pass Behemoth's 1024m wPrime score, cores > threads. Even with half the threads but more than twice the clockspeed, the difference is not made up.
wPrime 2.0 32M/1024M Benchmark Competition
*note to self: update that thread* lol...
Old April 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

aka yes it will do very well at F@H?
Old April 18, 2010, 10:50 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the information :) I already had a few parts on hand for this build, which is why I chose the parts that I did. I originally was going to order the supermicro board with 8x integrated 6GBps SAS connectivity, but did further research and the board did not support my chips. So I had to go with this Tyan board with an offboard SAS controller. I am going to try and get Server 2008 R2 to run on this beast.

I ordered my parts from the Egg last Thursday and everything should be here by Thursday / Friday next week. Can't wait!!!