Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2009, 10:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sleeving Time!

All the tools laid out:

Here's the cable I'm starting with, a 12" 8-pin extension. My 8 pin on my PSU won't reach all the way. It came sleeved from NCIX, which was nice:

But not good enough for my purposes. The sleeving was bunched up, making it expand and more see-thru:

I love this MDPC-X Sleeving! It's stiffer than the others that I've used, which makes it easier to work with. Here's half-way:

And done. Charles from Murdermod gave me a little tip, to leave just enough wire exposed to see the color. You can't see it when it's in the connector, but it makes it way easier to reconnect the wires in the right spots.

So that's the 8-pin EPS. Which leaves me a 24-pin, 2x PCI-E 6-pin, 2x Sata, 1 Molex, 2 USB headers, 1 Audio header, 1 Firewire header, and 6 fans to do. WHAT HAVE I STARTED? Well, only the power cables will be individually sleeved, and not the whole length either. But .
Old August 25, 2009, 06:16 AM
MVP
F@H

Thats looking real nice!

I want to do this now :P

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30
Old August 25, 2009, 07:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damnnnnnnnnn that's sexy. I'll remember that tip...still haven't gotten my PSU yet, BUT It's the same PSU I have now so I have extra modular cables I can get started on.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Now how come you can't live closer Gord??...I'd pay ya in beer ta do mine!..LOL!...GREAT looking work!

Old August 25, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
Now how come you can't live closer Gord??...I'd pay ya in beer ta do mine!..LOL!...GREAT looking work!
I'll do it, but damn it'll be a lot of beer!
Old August 25, 2009, 11:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
Thanks Bob. It really is simple, just very nit-picky. (Is that a word?) The tape measure is key, making sure all your sleeving and heatshrink is cut to the same length. That cable is exactly 11" between the connectors, my sleeving was cut to 10 3/4". Using the clamps to hold the sleeving in place while doing the heatshrink is something else I picked up from Charles, helps to keep it uniform. Picking up that heatgun was worth it, too. Saves a lot of time vs. using my wife's old hair dryer.

I'm not looking forward to the 24 pin though.
Old August 25, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
I'll do it, but damn it'll be a lot of beer!
I might just take ya up on that!....but lots of beer only AFTER yer done or who knows what it'll look like

I would think about doing it myself Gord but it would take me forever with this arthritis, my thumbs in particular give me a real rough time these days and I just don't think I want to tackle trying and screwing it up

Old August 25, 2009, 01:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ya, I can see how that might deter you from doing it yourself. My hands hurt after doing sleeving for a couple hours, I wouldn't want to start off with them hurting already. Let me finish my stuff and we'll talk. If your cables are modular, it'd be easy to ship just them.
Old August 25, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow!...thanks for the offer Gord but chances are I'll just leave it the way it is, I have most of the wires hiden pretty well and for the most part I'm happy with it. I'm just uploading new pics of the Pet now that it's up and running full tilt, give it 10 minutes then have a look at my worklog

Old August 26, 2009, 10:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, didn't have any time last night, but got to spend some time on more sleeving tonight.

Here's the front panel connections done:

The sharp-eyed among you will note that the Firewire cable is not done. I don't own anything that uses Firewire, so that cable will be dropped down and hidden behind the rad. I'm trying to keep the mobo connections as clean as possible. Actually, I'm thinking of using my step bit and drilling a large enough hole so that all the cables will drop into the bottom and route from there. And that white block will get some flat black paint on it.

While I like the individually sleeved look for the power connections, I'm thinking that might get a bit busy for the 2x 6-pin connectors. What do you think?