Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2009, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Oh we all hate him for having that case.. Aday2long, that's why I mentioned the HAF 932, great case on a budget that has exceptional potential... Well with the HAF, it's the same problem, very small window.. But the case is cheap that you could use a dremel and mount a window on there too..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 4, 2009, 12:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

Dremel a window ... I think I could manage that ...
Old August 5, 2009, 11:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

So, I found the new #1 thing to do last night. As you can see in the last picture, the rad is sitting on the edge of my mouse pad. Guess who buzzed his knuckles playing CoD last night? The fans now have the grills on to protect the stupid.
Old August 5, 2009, 12:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

Hahaha, I'm gonna guess that it scared the shit out of you too ... especially when you are not expecting it ... did it a couple times, turns out its the fan on my 4850 that hurts the most
Old August 6, 2009, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A couple of emails back and forth, and Charles is going to send my case parts in with his batch to be powdercoated. It's just too good an opportunity to turn down. So, the build gets torn down tomorrow and goes back on my test bench. Then I get to cut holes in my nice new case, sob. The mobo tray needs holes for the 8 and 24 pin, and for the front panel / sata cables. They will be under the mobo, and should be hidden. And the mid plate needs a hole behind the tray to pass cables up. The plan is to get a murdermods clean midplate eventually, so that the only thing passing through it and visible through the window is 2 hose runs.
Old August 7, 2009, 09:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The teardown is complete. The parts are back on my homemade test bench:

I've disassembled the TJ07 completely. Here's the parts all spread out. I think there's less here to be powdercoated than there was in my Cosmos S:

The green Mr. Happy Face is our dog's favorite chew toy. Charles has a Zen frog. We've got Mr. Happy Face.

Somebody patiently waiting for Mr. Happy Face to finish modeling:

So tomorrow morning I'm going to pick up a step bit and some more Dremel cutting wheels, so I can cut the cable management holes in the mobo tray and midplate. More pics later.

Last edited by SugarJ; August 30, 2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old August 8, 2009, 12:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So this morning went like this:

Marked location of holes for drilling:

Setup drill press with step bit:

Realize I should have used the larger drill press at work:

Said a few bad words, decided to drill holes to 9/16" diameter on the press, and enlarge to 3/4" with my handheld:

This actually worked out very well.

I did a similar procedure on the midplate, and then some dremel work:

This hole is behind the mobo tray and the solid side panel, it can not be seen at all.

After cutting the slot in the mobo tray:

So all I need to do is wipe down my machined parts, and they are ready to go for powder coating.

Last edited by SugarJ; August 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old August 8, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Very nice Gord... This sounds fun!!..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old August 24, 2009, 06:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So this was waiting for me when I got home today:

Came via mail from Minneapolis, MN in 11 days. Not bad.

I included a pin extractor, shown below my old Sunbeam one here for comparison:

I like it for one big reason. Notice how the pins get wider? This stiffens the pins, and makes it easy to judge when you've got the tool in all the way:

For those of you who haven't done any sleeving, I've learned that needlenose pliers are invaluable. Insert the tool (or staples, they work too), grasp the wire as close to the plastic as you can, and just roll the pliers. If the wire doesn't come out easily, the tool isn't in right.

One other thing I figured out is that the wire ends are interchangeable on my Strider. This means I can hide the end of the cable with 2x 6-pin connectors down at my PSU, and only have the end with one 6-pin up to my GPU. That way I don't destroy my cables in case I go SLI or PhysX at a later date, because there was no way I was leaving the 2nd connectors hanging loose and visible.

I'll post some more sleeving pictures once I get started. I have to go find my clamps to keep the sleeving tight while I'm putting on the heatshrink.

Last edited by SugarJ; August 30, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old August 24, 2009, 06:36 PM
MVP
F@H

mmmmmm sexy sleeving. Subscribed, can't wait to see more pictures of the sleeving....

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30