Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Thinktank revision 2.0

Ok.

First I gotta thank my sponsors.

JustRight PC (Rob) Thank you soo much....couldnt have done as much as we did without yah.

Wildrose Brewery : Thanks everyone !!

John , thanks again for the silicone....

And of course thanks to all the suppliers that were patient enough with me to help me out.......Cascade Glass of Calgary , Chinook Pumps of Calgary....

And of course thanks to HWC .

Thanks for the thermometer Zac , the photography Keeton , and the stickers and shwag Gav !!!

------

Ok so onto the bad news.

We did not actually get a computer to stay running in the Iso........3 seconds of post was the best we did.

HOWEVER

The coolant system appears to function perfectly.Everything I fabricated survived -50 Isopropanol no problem.I'm quite happy with the performance of the systems.It sure does burn off dry ice fast.

The issue appears to be slight 'conduction' in the Isopropanol......that's the 1% in 99% Isopropanol rearing it's ugly head.

We are pretty sure we killed one p5k mobo , the other is iffy.......I'll know in a couple days when I test em out.

So while we didnt get up and running today , we successfully tested out all the systems , and we learned a whole lot.

The wierd part is , I've done the whole 'computer-running-in-Iso' thang berfore.....it worked perfectly for hours.......but that was an older machine at much lower clock frequencies.....

So despite the fact that the computer did'nt work , I'll call the first run a win.

No-one was hurt , nothing broke except mebbie silicon ,and I know what I have to do to fix the stuff we discovered today.

I've got some more work to do , but I'm more confident than ever that this can actually work.

-My first task : no more 99% Iso , I'll be making anhydrous Isopropanol first and testing that out.

-------

PS Gav , I'm sorry I did'nt get the stickers on today , Thank you very much for everything , they'll be on when it works.

Pictures en-route.
Old July 31, 2009, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Here's the tank at about -25c.........nice n frosty....

--------

Here's a video of the co2 coming out of the Iso : this is 2 hours after the DI was gone.......

http://braineater.kicks-ass.tv/miscshite/tttv1.avi

----

Oh yea , it appears you can connect a 3 volt battery to the 'power switch' leads on a mobo with no Ill effects.....haha Yea I had a bonehead moment...........

edit :

Heres a couple shots of the logo's.......they are just temporarily attached.......I need to clean the surfaces , attach the logo's then clearcoat em , so the iso won't wreck them.

-----

---

Last edited by BrainEater; August 1, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old July 31, 2009, 06:59 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice to hear it mostly worked, ive being dieing to hear how it went...

when you did this b4 was it to the same -50 or a higher temp?

bad solder joint or contact that shrank in the cold and became disconnected maybe?

Wow waiting to hear what went wrong and how you overcome it is going to have me at the edge of my seat now....

Keep it up! this project is fantastic!..
Old July 31, 2009, 08:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thanks for the hospitality Ross
Old July 31, 2009, 09:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Pics: http://braineater.kicks-ass.tv/miscshite/jpics.rar

Download the file from link (~200Mb) to view them. Don't worry, it should be pretty fast...
Old July 31, 2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

What an amazing adventure today!

From what we thought was a failed motherboard to a mad-dash to our favorite local computer store to stock up on replacements to several hours of tinkering before the final quick dunk (submerged) and POST for 3 seconds below -35c.

Braineater, Eldonko, Fixt, MisterLarry, 3.0Charlie, Mklym, and a few others (I apologize for not recalling your names)... FUN TIMES.

We will get it next time fully!
Old July 31, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

NiceDLing now. I wanna see keeton's group shots too.
Old July 31, 2009, 09:15 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

They should be up Monday.
Old July 31, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nice John, thanks...
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 31, 2009, 09:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to hear its a win and looking forward to continuation of this thing. Hope many great minds/scientists ever got anything to work the first actual run anyways, its all trial and error and keep up the great work!