Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

That's hilarious....no sense in getting sickened/grossed-out by it..it's just(pretty-much) dust. It looks like sheets of dryer-lint inside it.
Old August 8, 2009, 03:16 AM
MVP

yeah, that dell is pretty typical of dells of that design...I had one one time that literally the entire bottom had a carpet like the fan guard did
there was one I had one time that they were still using it when renovating their house...good halfish inch of dust all over the entire computer, we had to strip the entire case down to nothingness, and blast it part by part, replace all the fans...and most of the system, lol
no pics though...
Old August 10, 2009, 01:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
In defense of myself as a technician of big box retailer...
Thanks for the info RyanJ, and sorry if I came off as dissing all techs, certainly _not_ the case for sure, just a few that I've met And here I was worried about those darn tags all these years!
Old October 12, 2009, 06:37 PM
Rookie

Heh reminds me of the case where the owner found a dead mouse in it. Great clean up job.
Old October 12, 2009, 10:21 PM
Top Prospect

thats crazy. I cleaned my mom's this weekend with a can of compressed air, and a vacuum. don't worry, the vacuum never even got close to the parts of the computer, it just ran outside the case sucking the dust in the air out. It wasnt as bad as yours, but it was pretty bad. It got a 12 degree Celsius temp decrease after blowing all the dust out, lol. any idea what kind of temp change yours got?
Old October 12, 2009, 11:08 PM
Top Prospect

Why is your dust a lot browner than usual? Is it because of the smoke? The dust I have are more grey.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:27 PM
Top Prospect

his looks like there is a lot of gravel in it from a nearby road. normal skin and stuff is grey.
Old November 2, 2009, 09:11 AM
Rookie

Yeah , amazing how much dust can be drawn into the case and it depends on location , pets , use , number of fans....etc .

I take mine out to the garage 2-3 times a year and put the compressed air to it , you should see the dust fly !
Old November 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk55 View Post
Yeah , amazing how much dust can be drawn into the case and it depends on location , pets , use , number of fans....etc .

I take mine out to the garage 2-3 times a year and put the compressed air to it , you should see the dust fly !
Really...even w/out pets carpets etc. ..(a clean house), the amount of dust in the air is staggering. That's why we have hairs in our nose, and have to blow it frequently. A PC with multiple fans is very similar, but on a much greater scale. So.....blow you computers nose regularly!!
Old November 2, 2009, 06:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Can't help but chime in here with my dirtiest PC pic...

I work at a local big box retailer in the tech room. We see some NASTY stuff fairly often, but this one took the cake.

For a while we had a tupperware container that we kept with one specific ball of dust we had pulled out of a machine; I'm pretty sure we named it "Hector". But we've changed managers once since then and he dumped him down the garbage. :(

Anyway, enjoy the grossness. Sorry about the crappy quality; cell phone cams are only so good.

-r-
lmao I have that exact same computer and it was almost that bad after my dad drywalled downstairs