Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2009, 09:45 AM
Rookie

Can't help but chime in here with my dirtiest PC pic...

I work at a local big box retailer in the tech room. We see some NASTY stuff fairly often, but this one took the cake.

For a while we had a tupperware container that we kept with one specific ball of dust we had pulled out of a machine; I'm pretty sure we named it "Hector". But we've changed managers once since then and he dumped him down the garbage. :(

Anyway, enjoy the grossness. Sorry about the crappy quality; cell phone cams are only so good.

-r-
Old August 7, 2009, 09:59 AM
Rookie
F@H

*cry*
Old August 7, 2009, 10:08 AM
Rookie

OMG! That is actually hairy!

But in all fairness, how many people, like my parents, who go to the Future Shop's, Costco's or wherever to buy a computer, are ever told by the "technicians" there to clean the inside of the machine every so often? Heck, I've seen one that actually had one of those "Void If Removed" stickers stuck on the side panel, so if you would have opened it to clean it then you would have been screwed the next time it bombed and you had to take it into the dough-heads to fix it. Just saying...
Old August 7, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just threw up in my mouth a little...

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old August 7, 2009, 10:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is there a cat in this computer? ho no it's dust and mushroom growing. If someday I see my computer like that, I would surtenly cry all the water laying in my body!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old August 7, 2009, 10:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

All of a sudden, my rig at it's worst doesn't seem so bad. Granted after my last thorough cleaning this week somehow my temps dropped 9 degrees....still trying to track down the source of how. Not complaining though!
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old August 7, 2009, 10:43 AM
Rookie

In defense of myself as a technician of big box retailer (and I don't want this to turn into a flamewar against such places saying no it isn't or yes it is), _I_ tell people to clean it any time I notice it's dirty; but that doesn't mean others do. Most people just simply aren't aware that you're supposed to clean it; hell, most people don't understand the difference between hardware and software (one step further: most people don't know the difference between Windows and Word and use the terms interchangeably).

As well, many people don't know and/or take advantage of the fact that as part of some extended warranties (ours), they're entitled to a yearly tune up and cleaning, so they can bring it in and get it cleaned when it IS dirty.

Lastly, no one checks those stickers anyway. The only time we do is if they're put on by our external service depot; if they're broken, we ask why and can usually get around it. It's rare that it ever becomes an issue. In fact, I can't think of a single time in 2 years as a tech there where we've refused service to someone because of one of those stickers being broken.

I do admit that most of the guys that work for big box retailers as techs tend to be ... let's just say less than great techs. That said, I won't try to blow my own horn, because I'd never convince anyone otherwise.

Just sayin'... ;)

-r-
Old August 7, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Yessh... sounds like my mom.
I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole
Old August 7, 2009, 04:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

LOL ! If your computer cases are so dirty like that I'd hate to see the back of your refrigerator condenser coils LOL !
Old August 7, 2009, 04:52 PM
Top Prospect

oh. my. god. 'disgusting' is an understatement.