Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default DFI NB Cooling mod

So here's the scoop:

I have a DFI LP JR 790GX-M2RS. The NB runs a little hot (60's) with the passive cooler.

I needed a change!

Since I had a WC loop in the works, I thought why not include my NB in the loop... put it right after my CPU and call it a day.

Turns out... its not that simple. As far as I know, only 1 block fits... The EK NB SB Asus 1. Sweet, I think, I'll just buy one (omg they're like 50 bucks!!), good thing for me I get a PM from Brewer625 saying he's got one, and its cheap... I'm like alright now we're in business, time to cool this MOFO down!!

I wait exactly 2 days for it to get here... and guess what?? It doesn't fit! Nothing wrong with brewer625, he sent me the block I asked for and it was nice and shiny and really cheap... it was EK's fault :rtfm:... So I'm like what am I gonna do??

Well, I listed it in my FS thread, and no one bites... obviously. Its a specialty Item, I half expected people to ask me WTF kind of block it is. So I go to Ebay and buy a cheap swiftech mcw30... it doesnt fit either. CK

...List that in my FS thread also.

So now what? I'm out 70 bucks for 2 useless chunks of copper. I get a PM from M1dget saying he modded his swiftech to fit... But the temps werent stellar. Great...

I finally bite the bullet and decide to mod my block... but not the swiftech... no no, I'm going to punish the EK block Figured I would vent a little by subjecting it to my dremel for a few hours.

So, Since the block was physically too big, and because my mosfet cooler was directly attached to my NB cooler, and because there was a big fat capacitor in the way, I decided that the best (and easiest) (and least destructive) way was to mod this block in such a way that it could fit over the NB while still being attached to the mosfet cooler. The only problem was that only one of the holes lined up, and the heatpipe going from the NB to the mosfet cooler was in the way. I wasn't about to cut a heatpipe, so I decided to shave off some of the copper (there was a lot!) that was in the way... well, about an hour later, and after putting my tungsten cutting bit to good use, I had successfully shaved off a load of copper (all of it was needed, for it to fit) and a peice of the acrylic top (the part with the second mounting hole that did not line up) which was also in the way of the heatpipe.

Cool... it fits, now to mount it! Uh oh... only one hole lines up, so I put the one screw in the hole that lined up, now how do I get it to stick?... WWJD?? Use zip ties of course!! 2 to be exact, but it took about 5 tries to get it to seat fully (correctly).
I ended up having to physically remove the cooler and run a zip tie right under it, and not just tether it to the heatpipe (the capacitor gets in the way, causing an improper seat). So... after all is said and done, I give you pics!

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Comments?

Last edited by Cowboy; July 9, 2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old July 9, 2009, 08:30 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Zip-tying a waterblock, teehee. Youre nuts! Pleas tell me you at least used the Black ones that last longer and dollar store white ones that crack and dry up? Post them pics!
Old July 9, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm trying, but how do I embed them into the thread?

EDIT: as you can no doubt tell, I GOT IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Zip-tying a waterblock, teehee. Youre nuts! Pleas tell me you at least used the Black ones that last longer and dollar store white ones that crack and dry up?
Neither! I used UV green! LOL

Last edited by Cowboy; July 9, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old July 9, 2009, 08:39 AM
MVP

like so

Code:
(put a open [ here)IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9027/dsc02502fyg.jpg[/IMG]
just resize them a little first, they are HUGE
Tathar WIP*Q9550*Gigabyte EP45-UD3P*OCZ Reaper PC-8500 4gbX2*OCZ Vertex 120gb*WD 1TB WD1001FALS*BFG GTX275*
Old July 9, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks, I just figured it out like minutes before you posted.

Old July 9, 2009, 08:41 AM
MVP

yea sorry about that lol
Tathar WIP*Q9550*Gigabyte EP45-UD3P*OCZ Reaper PC-8500 4gbX2*OCZ Vertex 120gb*WD 1TB WD1001FALS*BFG GTX275*
Old July 9, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

I <3 this mod, it is SO sexy!!! I can't wait to fire it up and post temps!

Gotta wait a few days tho ;) getting a freezone elite for the CPU and I'm going to be running a seperate water cooled dual gpu and NB loop. Its gonna be sweet

But I can tell you that before I properly seated this sucker I was getting 44C pretty consistently (it was right after my CPU in the loop.) So with this thing fully seated I'm expecting temps in the 30's

Old July 12, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Just got my loop setup after getting my freezone elite plugged in:

NB is sitting @ 38C and staying put. :) Nice job I think!