Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2009, 10:26 PM
Top Prospect

Default Project "HAF-EXTREME"

This is my first "major" project, so bear with me on it.

This is the project I have been working on for about the past month too month and a half. Originally it was to be a HAF 932 tear down and paint job, then took off from there.

While it only maintains a few parts from the HAF, it still holds some of it "signature" features as you will see. The "EXTREME" moniker comes from the motherboards being used, a Rampage Extreme and a GA P45-EXTREME.

I did mention that this is my first major project, I have done a few other more mainstream mods, biggest one prior was cutting a P182 to add a window, and a side mounted radiator. I have wanted to do something similiar to this for a while.

So without further adou here are some pictures.

In the begining (Before the final idea was formed) there was a torn down HAF

This was what you could call day 2, day before was a complete tear down, this was after some sanding and prepping for the original paint.

Some of the parts to be used:
Here is the GA P45-EXTREME. This was going to be the main motherboard to be used. Also is 2 WD 1 TB Greens and a Swiftech 360 with 2 Scythe Ultra Kaze 3K's and an old Yate loon.

Some more parts:

Bits and bobs mostly, main parts to note are the 2 Powercolor 4830's, not too sure if you can see the paint colour that was to be used, 1 DMX Canada Mug (www.dmx.com) aka my current employer (If you need any commercial audio/visual equipment, let me know) and I think everything else is self explanatory.

Now this pic is after I started debating possibly building my own case, just to see how it might look. You may consider this HAF EXTREME V 0.10

This was more of a rough mock-up, you get my original idea from it though.

Anoter mock-up shot:

Gives a good idea of what the idea was.

This shot is one of the first fabricated pieces, it is a frame for soft mounting a PSU using friction, I am surprised about how well it actually works.

PSU is an Antec Quattro 850. Decent PSU, has not yet let me down.

I do want to stop and explain what my idea is now so the following pictures make a bit more sense. The premise is a 4'x2' box, which is ~8" tall. The bottom box is to hold wiring, my server, power distribution etc.... Consider the bottom box kind of like behind the motherboard tray, where the ugliness will be. The top will be mounted with a hinge to allow access.

This picture is showing the bottom box being built. This is where my idea really started to get fleshed out

The main structure is built out of 1/2" MDF. I did choose to go with MDF as it will be eventually painted, and MDF should give me the best surface to start with. It is built more or less like a tank.

Here is a pic when I thought up what may be considered HAF EXTREME V 0.50. I decided to mount all hard drives and optical drives into the bottom.

I chose to use an old case I had sitting around for the server mounted in the bottom, deciding to go this way cut down on the headaches.

The following picture is a bit of a jump. It is the essentially finished bottom (Minus final paint) parts iclude:
Intel E2160
Gigabyte P45 EXTREME
2x2GB Mushkin Ascent Redline PC2-8000
2x2GB Patriot Viper Extreme PC2-8500 (All Ram will be at 800 Mhz)
Geforce 256 MB 7200 GS (It is a server....)
Hauppage PVR-150
2x Seagate 7200.11 640 GB HDD's
Stock Intel air cooler (Might put in a cheap aftermarket HSF soon)

Here is the pic:

Does not show everything, those pics will be in the build completed section later. The PSU is an Antec Liberty 620W, this PSU is 2 years or so old, and has not yet let me down, it is semi-friction mounted using a "L" shaped bracket, 1 screw to hold it down.

Here is a picture with a side panel on, and front panel from old computer mounted, this will be all painted and it will blend in. 1/4" MDF was used for side panels to allow for proper fitting of fans on other side panel.

Power button and USB ports will be used for server. You can also see my Netgear GS108, soon to be upgraded to a GS108T so that I may use 802.3af for a 2 Gb/s backbone connection

Here is a pic of the back of the front panel from the inside.

The Kingwin hard drive bay will be used as the main rig drives, hence why it is not plugged into anything

This picture you may consider HAF EXTREME V 0.90 this really gives an idea of what it will look like.

There will be 2 24" Dell monitors mounted on Ergotron Neoflex arms on each side. HAF Motherboard used and HAF input module is used.

So here we are to today. This is what I got done, this shows the motherboard tray, with Rad mount etc.... This is an almost done piece, mostly just needs a good coat of paint.

That is the Rampage Extreme with 2 4830's mounted, just imagine all of the tubing installed running Feser Black

Here are 2 more pictures of the above setup but from different angles.

These pictures really show the construction of the motherboard support mounting system. The Rad mount is only being supported by friction for the most part, with 1 screw for piece of mind.

So I should explain my loop as well. The loop will consist of:
CoolIT Boreas
MCP-655
EK Reservoir, 250 ml
Apogee GTX
Stock Rampage Extreme NB Fusion
2 GPU Blocks (I always forget brand names and model numbers of these)
320 mm Swiftech Rad
Various tubes, Adapters, Fittings, and other pieces

Loop will be: Boreas->reservoir->MCP-655->CPU->NB->Y->GPU's->T->Rad->Boreas
My biggest concern, will be pressurized fluid running through the Boreas pump, but it will be heavily tested before final fire up

So those are all of my pictures so far. I am always open to suggestions, concerns and criticism. Just be light as this is my first major product and I am trying to do something that I personally have never seen before.

People I would like to thank:
Matt - my landlord for his assistance and use of tools.
Braineater - the Thinktank V 2.0 inspired me to take on a larger project
Ncix - for getting me into liquid cooling, and providing some of the best pricing around
Thanks also go out to HWC for providing such a great community that encourages and promotes innovation (The reviews also helped, so thanks all of you reviewers)
I also want to thank DMX Canada for kindly paying me every payday, without them this would not have been possible.

My current ETA of being done (Minus paint) is by this coming Sunday, of course my original ETA was to be done painting by Canada Day. After it is full assembled it will be used for 1-2 weeks, tweaking done, then torn down for about 2 weeks during the painting process (Tips appreciated for painting MDF)

So thanks Everyone, sorry for the long drawn out post.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i want to see it when it's done so far this is looking good!
Old July 8, 2009, 05:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks like fun.

Very similar to my style of builds. Keep it up.
Old July 8, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow i wana see more. wish i had the tools to do something like that. i certainly have the time.
Old July 8, 2009, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

I will be out in the garage for a while tonight, hopefully cutting out some wiring holes in the top board.

Here is a list of what I have to do:
Cut wiring holes
Mount motherboard support (Via another friction mount)
Begin mounting Rad, Pump, Boreas, PSU etc....
Mock wireup
Plumbing the loop
Full clean of the loop using Boiled RO Conditioned water
Full leak test
Prime system and allow pump to run for a day or 2 to verify all connections
Do full wiring
Get the OS's installed
OC it until it cries, I wonder if I can kill my E5300?
Old July 31, 2009, 01:01 PM
Top Prospect

Thought it would be time to post some pics, these where taken about a week ago. The Camera I was using is on the frits, but this is now in my room (Not yet painted though)

Since this Picture I have attached some GPU Blocks (Picture to come as soon as I can find a Camera)

Not the greatest picture, mostly shows the Boreas

Kind of shows layout with the monitor attached

I will hopefully have some more pics as soon as I find a Camera, it has come a little while since this pic.

Last edited by Wall86; July 31, 2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Resize Pictures
Old July 31, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Please scale your pictures down.. those are way too big..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 31, 2009, 01:38 PM
Top Prospect

Resized them,
Old August 1, 2009, 01:58 AM
MVP

man...I loved those belkin surgebars... too bad NCIX doesn't have them anymore *got a wicked Premier partner price on them*
nice build though