Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2009, 07:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

So I've ordered a fan to replace my dead one and a DVD burner so I can make sure everything fits before I paint anything.

Yesterday I suddenly had an idea to incorporate the power and HDD LEDs to the front panel, still have a couple days to think about it before my order arrives.

I'll probably make a couple tests first too see if it would work, it would ressemble the side panel idea which I should buy and work on pretty soon.

Stay tuned!
Old June 21, 2009, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

I'm glad to see more beginners pick up the craft! My first project was ever so very similar to yours (sans burned leds since i'm an electrician...)
Keep up the good work!

That front bezel looks... dare i say, Soviet ??? Hammer it till it bleeds :D
Oh, and do snoop around your town. There are often manufacturers with laser cutting equipment. Often times on lunch breaks, you can talk them into helping you. I know some folks over at promation engineering that lasercut and watercut for me :) You have to draw the CAD tho :P

Good luck and good work so far!
Old June 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

Thx man! It's simply that I was on a very tight budget for this one and it was my first attempt, many mistakes I won't make again, like the magic smoke from the LED ...

------------

Alright, now some good stuff!!!
Old June 22, 2009, 03:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

Almost done with the window, just got some "cleaning" to do since we still see a little black from the marker. Then I add the LEDs without exploding any of them this time hopefully!

I present you Smaug!
Old July 1, 2009, 12:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

Little update,

While installing the LEDs I didn't take into consideration the + and - side when I glued them and when routing the wires I had to play around with them and I broke the metal wire from one of the LEDs ... so I'll have to restart ... grrr

Started painting the whole thing. I received my new fan and the dvd burner to make the final fitting tests. All is nice and smooth, so I'm painting away. Except it's been raining here a lot so its slowing me down a little.

Almost done though!
Old July 5, 2009, 06:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

All primed.

So right now this project is on hold.

I'm taking time to build myself my dream computer desk since Smaug deserves better then the floor!

But the bulk of the work is done for the case, only sanding and black left to apply. Almost done! Also I'm reworking the window!
Old July 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice work man- very ambitious. Going for a "desolation of smaug" theme for the desk? You could make a scorched earth design around where the computer sits!
Old July 5, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wow that's very cool work there.. Keep it up!.. Subbed to see more :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 5, 2009, 09:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well that desk is going to be uber, as in HUGE. L shaped, 5 feet by 8 feet. I just have to figure out right now how to make it stable without banging my knees everywhere.

But I was gonna make a little stand for the case to lift it up from the ground to allow better intake from the bottom, but a "desolation of Smaug" theme is a pretty darn good idea!!! I'll go back to my drawing table for that one!!!
Old July 6, 2009, 12:18 AM
Top Prospect

this is pretty epic

custom bezel. nice.

Secondary System:
Phenom II 940 @ 3.8ghz//ASUS M4A78-E ATX 790GX//XFX 8800 GTS//OCZ 700W//ThermalTake Soprano RS Modded//8gb OCZ SLI edition DDR2-800//1TB WD Green.