Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Moi je dit que tu pogne le naperon de souris pi tu le colle sur le side panel.

Serieux j'ai hate de voir le resultat du side panel.
Old May 30, 2009, 04:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

T'aime pas mon naperon de Place Ste-Foy de .... 1995?!
Old May 30, 2009, 03:48 PM
MVP

Je ne comprends pas ce que vous dites
Old May 31, 2009, 01:21 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just some coded french message in a plan to take over the world
Old May 31, 2009, 01:57 AM
MVP

I see
Old May 31, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

big fan of the side panel ah ha ha
Old June 2, 2009, 05:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

No they're won't be a big fan on the side panel just joking

Small update...I've got a job, well kinda!!! So I have a little income coming in! Yay

Alright, layout for the front panel is finished, should be cutting it tomorrow after work!

Also I need to buy a new dremel bit for the carving of plexi glass.

Pics to come soon!
Old June 3, 2009, 07:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

Wee update

So I've cut the front panel, god I hate working with a jigsaw ... well result was pretty nice, I started to bend the sides, only got one done out of 4, takes more time then I thought and my sister didn't like me banging on metal with a hammer at 9:30pm

Will finish tomorrow with pics!

Also, my paint tests are at primer stage done, finally had some nice weather to pain!

Cheers
Old June 4, 2009, 06:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

So as promised, update with pictures!

So I re-did the drawing for the front panel, making sure there was enough space between the steel and the actual panel to install my intake fan.

All ready and set to use the jigsaw...god I hate using the jigsaw...

Turns out the distance between the cutting blade and the guides is an inch and a quarter, the exact same distance between my lines, so that was easy to set up!

Soooo....I didn't go that straight first and got a little bit of the bench too....ok a lot

Never thought it would work, but it was much easier to cut the corners with these then using a dremel!!! And it made the edge non-sharp!

Sooo after half an hour of sweating, bending, cursing, bleeding, cursing some more, hammering, got this open box design, SWEET!

Drilled the holes to screw it in the front panel.

Gotta love measuring 5 times and cutting once, it was a perfect fit, yippy!

So I'll be tackling cutting the drive bay, fan hole, power button and switches hole tomorrow or this weekend depending on my work schedule.

Also, here's a little shot of my paint tests, the only surface that's actually sanded and all is the weird shape in the middle. This is after 6 layers of primer and wet sanding with 400 grit in between, can't see it, but it's a lot nice and smoother then the surrounding paint, looking very sharp! Gonna start painting the black on it if temperature allows it also in the coming days!

I just realized, this is no the final shot, this is after 4 layers, I'll take another picture tomorrow.

Cheers,

Thx guys!
Old June 5, 2009, 02:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

BIG UPDATE!

I've finally put everything back together to get a first "prototype" to see what works and what doesn't.

Mostly everything worked very well, some little issues with making the new face plate fit, but nothing a hammer can't do!

On the not so fun side ... seems the holes that had rivets are just a tiny bit bigger then the ones for the screws so when I try to screw it it, the screw doesn't "bite" and a little shock knocks it off. I have a couple ideas to fix that, might use so silicone tape to make the screw a little thicker and see if it works. Don't feel like buying more screws with my tight budget....

I still have to cut some holes in the mobo tray for cable management, I'll use a little piece of screen to try to filter the air that gets passively sucked in the holes on the right side panel to prevent to much dust from entering through there.

Here he is! Smaug v2.0 prototype

And here's the real finished primer paint test. Little scratches are visible but you can't feel them when you touch it.

Last edited by ADay2Long; June 5, 2009 at 03:06 PM.