So I've cut the front panel, god I hate working with a jigsaw ... well result was pretty nice, I started to bend the sides, only got one done out of 4, takes more time then I thought and my sister didn't like me banging on metal with a hammer at 9:30pm
Will finish tomorrow with pics!
Also, my paint tests are at primer stage done, finally had some nice weather to pain!
So I re-did the drawing for the front panel, making sure there was enough space between the steel and the actual panel to install my intake fan.
All ready and set to use the jigsaw...god I hate using the jigsaw...
Turns out the distance between the cutting blade and the guides is an inch and a quarter, the exact same distance between my lines, so that was easy to set up!
Soooo....I didn't go that straight first and got a little bit of the bench too....ok a lot
Never thought it would work, but it was much easier to cut the corners with these then using a dremel!!! And it made the edge non-sharp!
Sooo after half an hour of sweating, bending, cursing, bleeding, cursing some more, hammering, got this open box design, SWEET!
Drilled the holes to screw it in the front panel.
Gotta love measuring 5 times and cutting once, it was a perfect fit, yippy!
So I'll be tackling cutting the drive bay, fan hole, power button and switches hole tomorrow or this weekend depending on my work schedule.
Also, here's a little shot of my paint tests, the only surface that's actually sanded and all is the weird shape in the middle. This is after 6 layers of primer and wet sanding with 400 grit in between, can't see it, but it's a lot nice and smoother then the surrounding paint, looking very sharp! Gonna start painting the black on it if temperature allows it also in the coming days!
I just realized, this is no the final shot, this is after 4 layers, I'll take another picture tomorrow.
I've finally put everything back together to get a first "prototype" to see what works and what doesn't.
Mostly everything worked very well, some little issues with making the new face plate fit, but nothing a hammer can't do!
On the not so fun side ... seems the holes that had rivets are just a tiny bit bigger then the ones for the screws so when I try to screw it it, the screw doesn't "bite" and a little shock knocks it off. I have a couple ideas to fix that, might use so silicone tape to make the screw a little thicker and see if it works. Don't feel like buying more screws with my tight budget....
I still have to cut some holes in the mobo tray for cable management, I'll use a little piece of screen to try to filter the air that gets passively sucked in the holes on the right side panel to prevent to much dust from entering through there.
Here he is! Smaug v2.0 prototype
And here's the real finished primer paint test. Little scratches are visible but you can't feel them when you touch it.
Last edited by ADay2Long; June 5, 2009 at 03:06 PM.