Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2009, 07:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

TopDog, it's simply that I'm more comfortable with the Dremel and have more experience with it then the jigsaw. I'm sure jigsaw could save me some time, but I don't want to screw this panel up...
------------------------------
So here is the new panel design, dragon takes a bite out of the handle and now I can safely and properly put a window behind it! But I might re-work the dragon ... I dunno I preferred the other one ...

And here's a little secret prototype

Stay tuned!
Old May 21, 2009, 08:29 PM
Top Prospect

wow what is that light up glass thing??!?!?!

share your secret so i can copy you >:D

lolol.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

So minor set back ... I'm gonna plug the holes in the side panel before I cut-sand-paint it. Gonna head to Home Depot this morning and see what I can do!

Also going to The Source to try to find a new power button.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hehe

Gonna try and use the Epoxy to plug the hole since they're not too big and that stuff is sandable once dry.

Found my new power button.

LEDs for side secret project

Wire for ... wiring hahaha, but that thing is pretty huge gage ... I'm sure I could find some wires lying around that would do the same thing, I'll dig in the electric junk box!

Also ordered a couple goodies from NCIX, fans and what not.

Last edited by ADay2Long; May 22, 2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
TopDog, it's simply that I'm more comfortable with the Dremel and have more experience with it then the jigsaw. I'm sure jigsaw could save me some time, but I don't want to screw this panel up
Ya I hear you, if your more comfortable with the Dremel then it's probably the best way to go for you. I also like the first dragon better but that would mean cutting through the handle.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

Shitty day for sure

Side panel all ready to try and use the epoxy to cover up the holes.

That stuff is less liquid then I expected, was a PITA to apply ...

Holy that stuff dries in 5 mins, thought they always over do it on the package ... not this time!

So after 5 mins of sanding ... I give up ...

So I removed the foil paper and on the other side here is what I find ... wasn't expecting that!

So looks like it could work if I apply the epoxy on the inside instead. But there is no way I was able to remove enough of the left over on the outside to be able to make a decent paint job ... so goodbye cutting a dragon head in the side panel idea ...

But ... something else even cooler probably is planned!

So after a frustrating morning, I decided to work on the front panel. Took my little test subject that I made yesterday and I tested my mounting idea.

It works! Quite nicely too! The real panel will have a bent edge covering the top hole no worries.

So I want to see if the inch and a quarter gap will affect the mounting of drives ...

Didn't fit after the inital cut, so Mr Steel meet Mr File.

Oh sweet success!!!

And it works, pretty nice fit too, makes it all solid once it's all in place. So the front panel should work very nicely! Finaly some good news!

Well the upload of that picture keeps failing so I'll put it up later.

Alright, gonna go draw the front panel for half an hour then after I'm taking my mom out for a late mother's day diner. Yeah!

As always, questions, comments, suggestions always appreciated!
Old May 22, 2009, 02:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

There, final mounting of the prototype!

My blood ... I'm an O- , can you tell
Old May 23, 2009, 11:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

So went to Radio Poop this morning to get some stuff for my secret porject ... well not so secret anymore since cutting a dragon directly in the side window isn't an option anymore ...

The goodies I've bought

Bought a new soldering iron because mine had a pointy edge and it's a lot easier to work with a flat edge when soldering wires together, at least I find.

So I took the wires from an old 80mm case fan that was plugged directly into the 12V and ground of a molex connector male adapter, so I took those 2 wires since it will be easier to simply plug it in the molex femal adapter to test.

All set up, circuit seems fine, ready to solder away!

Soldering first parts, 1/4 W resistor to the LED

Circuit all done.

12V+ goes to resister goes to + side of LED goes back to ground.

Plastic coated, you know I still think it's a bad idea to touch it when it's jump starting a PSU ... call me paranoid.

Cool, PSU started.

So now I tested the 12V+ outlet, got 11.7, not bad, seems I've got the right one....sooooooo

I plug in my circuit, moment of truth .... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

LIGHT!

for...half a second

then some magic smoke

and a dead LED ...

Still don't understand what I did wrong, I used the resistor that the LED circuit wizard told me to use ... but clearly it didn't work since the LED had way to much power to handle and burst into little magic powder ....

If you guys know what I did wrong, shoot away! I'm clueless right now.

Thx and ... well it's coming along slowly.

Still waiting for my package of goodies ... got why can't they deliver stuff on the weekend too?
Old May 23, 2009, 07:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Turns out ohms are a pretty important part in the formula ... and if calculated correctly well ...

Tested the whole setup and added a switch to the loop.

Gawd I hate cutting ... before last thing left to cut.

Man that was long...wanted it to go fast, so I raped a couple disks

Man that was long ... so after 3 hours, it's all cut, just need to finish the "grinding" to make it nice and smooth.

And secret project is this plus next one, figure it out!

Sorry for shitty quality ... I didn't draw very dark. +

Yeah that's my name. So I'll let you do the imagining

Except working on the side panel, I can't do much until my goodies arrive.

I might try some new painting techniques on old panels to see possible effects.

And also, I have a beach volleyball tournament tomorrow, so I'm gonna go outside take some sun and have some fun ... I dreamed I was cutting a side panel last night ... you know you do to much when ...
Old May 28, 2009, 11:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

Small Update :

I haven't worked much on Smaug this week, I recently moved back home and my parents gave me a deadline to unpack everything and it's tomorrow, so I'm doing this, my room is a mess! Fun...

Did some sanding on my panels, started doing some paint tests, but it's been rainning and cold for the past 2-3 days so I couldn't paint much ...

Still job hunting, I am now desperate, because I have 0$ left to invest in the project right now, still missing a couple parts to finish her up.

Some good news, my box of goodies arrived today from NCIX

I should have more time to work on this this weekend. Now I will be able to finalize the design of the front panel and will cut it hopefully this weekend!

Thx guys!