Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2007, 08:38 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

It will rarely be used for simultaneous recording/viewing of tv. Gonna just schedule recordings into it to watch them at a later date when needed and use the dvd player along with VLC/mythtv/whatever to watch my HD videos that have been converted to divx. Ill be doing all that converting on my main pc though (see sig) so i don't have to wait as long, hehe. Still Waiting On Parts Dammit!!!

PS: JJBigDig, I just got the keyboard the other night, looks and works great! Thanks!!!
Old July 21, 2007, 01:49 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Update:
Due to a foul-up with a certain ebay store *cough* my processor was never shipped nor was it even in stock. Therefore, ive stretched my budget a little further and found a Turion ML-37 instead (TMDML37BKX5LD) Which is faster at 2GHZ with 1MB of cache and still with only a tdp of 35 watts.Wohoo! It should make the recording / playback of tv and hdtv much smoother i believe.

Now if only i could get word on the motherboard (which has also taken forever even to just get an email through to them... sigh.) Delays delays, sorry for keeping anyone that might be interested in the results of the build...
Old July 28, 2007, 04:27 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Another update:
Apparently it was all the same story with my MSI Motherboard from yet another ebay store... sigh. Ebay doesnt like me i tells you all, it really doesnt. Oh well, ive decided to attempt one more time to buy from ebay. This time a much better overclocking pcie motherboard (K8N-VM) which means no x800xl... how lucky my gf is to get so many hand-me-downs, hehe. Back to waiting....
Old July 31, 2007, 04:40 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Wow, i reply to my thread sooooo much.... oh well.
Anyways, thanks to somed00d im now in the possesion of a sonic tower from thermaltake. And while looking at my case i saw a funny hole cut into a reinforcing bar in my Apevia case... one thats shaped oddly like the sonic tower?

So i put my lil sonic tower over the hole and.... wow! With just a few little cuts to remove the thin part of the reinforcing bar... the sonic tower might just fit??!?!?!

Wow... this is starting to turn in an ssf modding/overclocking dream! We'll see just IF i can fit it in there once i get my motherboard... if i get it.... Ever.... sigh

What do you guys think of the modding idea?
Old July 31, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

dooooooooo it, but you only get to do it once so make sure it'll fit :D
Old July 31, 2007, 04:46 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Agreed, thats why i gotta wait for the mobo to get here.

Another problem is that the height of the sonic tower might interfere with the psu... so i might be off to find a strangely shaped psu or perhaps a couple of a dc/dc boards with external bricks for a powersupply... lol
Old July 31, 2007, 05:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ummmm........

This is all going to depend on the cpu placement of your motherboard isn't it???

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 31, 2007, 05:02 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Exactly sswilson.

Anyone know of any good places to find strange and/or dc/dc power supplies?
Old July 31, 2007, 05:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you just looking for bricks?

Don't know if they're only a maritime company, but we've got a chain here called PC Medic who deal in used computer goods.... they've always got a box of old bricks on sale for around $5 each.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 31, 2007, 05:32 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Thanks for the idea sswilson but i doubt theyd have the better 120w minimum bricks id need (system consumption is going to be at least 200w, so i need two).