Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2009, 07:42 PM
Top Prospect

Default The Pocketbike Casemod I7 Build!! Pics in post # 1,8,15, 16, 25.. Work in progress.

Pics in Posts 1,8,15,16, 25, 28,32,33, 41,42,46
**THIS PROJECT IS NOW COMPLETE!!**

Link to finished post: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post266288
Introduction:
Hello all! this is.. my FIRST case-mod thingy done from scratch. I'm not buying a case, but simply turning an every day vehicle (not really) into a computer case!

I'm not sure how many of you know what a pocket bike is, so i'm gona go ahead and explain. A pocket bike is basically a miniature motorcycle that resembles a sport bike except its about 40 inches long and 10~20 inches wide. They are not street legal and run on 39, 49 or 50 cc engines. Some may also classify Midi bikes (bikes with 110-120 cc engines) as pocketbikes. Anyways, I'm a pocket bike enthusiast who likes fixing up bikes and riding them around, pi$$ing off my neighboors with the massive amount of pollution from the exaust and the extremely loud engine sounds. I also like the new i7 processor, so i decided to combine them. I HEREBY WELCOME YOU TO MY i7 POCKETBIKE WORKLOG!!!!

THE BUILD (original)
Corsair tx750
Intel i7 920 C0 stepping
Asus P6T
OCZ 3gb ddr3-1333 @ 7-7-7-24
EVGA 9800 GTX+
1x WD 1TB HDD
A furry pocketbike
TRUE120 + Scythe Ultra Kraze's (lol)
Lots of lights

THE BUILD (Finished)
Corsair TX750watt PSU
Intel i7 920 d0 batch# 3845b260
Asus p6t
OCZ 6gb DDR3-1800 @ 8-8-8-26
XFX 8800 GTS (my 9800 gtx+ died)
1x WD 500gb HDD
1x Samsung 1tb HDD
Furry pocket bike
True120 + tricool
Lots of lights and led fans.

Reason:
First up I have my pocket bike. I have 2 pocket bikes. One is a 50 cc Banshee Sho which is a liquid cooled (haha) pocketbike that runs up to 110 kmph. My other one is my first bike which i bought in 2006 from a guy who modded it (ironic) to be furry. The bike was built in 2003 and currently is a pile of scrap metal waiting to be thrown out. When i was cleaning out my shed, i noticed it lying around in a puddle of grease so i decided, HEY! why not? i have a new i7 mobo + cpu + ram, might as well build it into the pocket bike!

Heres some pictures from 2006.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

DAY1

After lying around for a good 3 years doing nothing, it doesnt start up and requires about 200 dollars worth of parts to fix to get up and running again. Hardly worth it considering i bought it for 130 dollars.
So i decided to take it apart and see wht i could do with it.

Taking it out of the shed today, i noticed not only was it covered in grease/oil, but also spider webs and rat poop. Anyways, i started disassembling it.

I was looking around and i saw that the engine + clutch + exhaust + everything was held up on a small little metal platform... Hmmm... this could be used:

SO i removed all the fairings and gas tank. This left the engine assembly + exhaust + pull start + clutch exposed.

I decided to be lazy and not take them apart separately. Instead, i flipped the bike over to loosen the bolts holding the engine to the support plate. UGH GREASY!!@!@

And now, i removed the engine! wooooo. the entire bike frame is exposed and now i can start washing/repainting it.

and heres the platform that i plan on using to hold the mobo tray + mobo + everything.

BTW, i also began cleaning and painting it with a light coat of gold. it was dark outside so i was spraypainting blindly lol... i'll post pictures of the paint job tomorrow.

oh yea, heres my i7 stuff that arrived [Thanks to cecil!]:

i7 920
Asus P6T (plain)
3gb OCZ Platinums ddr3-1333 @ 7-7-7-24

I already have a Corsair TX750 and a Evga 9800 GTX+ sitting around with 1.5 tb of harddrives... so my computer needs are all done.. Other than that, i'm just waiting on my TRUE to arrive before i being overclocking the hell outta the 920 and sticking it in my pocketbike.

Last edited by Saibot; October 5, 2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:48 AM
MVP
F@H

hows it going to be powered?
Old May 18, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

man, this one is gonna be for the ages lol. i cant wait to see how it turns out lol

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old May 18, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very cool
Old May 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Madness!
Old May 18, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Woah, that's going to be kind of complicated...Is the second bike (broken one that you're modding) W/C'ed as well? If so I'm assuming you're going to re-work the engine watercooling into the i7 setup somehow...

Hell, even if it's not watercooled, if you're doing a mod like this then you MUST watercool that somb**ch one way or another! =D

This is gonna be sweet. Lol if you keep the engine and mod the bike around a bit you can ride your computer to a LAN party, major props for style there man.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old May 18, 2009, 02:06 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
Woah, that's going to be kind of complicated...Is the second bike (broken one that you're modding) W/C'ed as well? If so I'm assuming you're going to re-work the engine watercooling into the i7 setup somehow...

Hell, even if it's not watercooled, if you're doing a mod like this then you MUST watercool that somb**ch one way or another! =D

This is gonna be sweet. Lol if you keep the engine and mod the bike around a bit you can ride your computer to a LAN party, major props for style there man.

If the engine was watercooled it would probably be wayy too hot to put on a CPU, if its anything like a car...
Old May 18, 2009, 03:49 PM
Top Prospect

ahhhrh unfortunately i removed all the engines :[

too greasy, didnt wana risk something gettin dirty on the motherboard.

its basically gona be an i7 system on two wheels with brakes :D

someone actually gave me the idea of putting an electric engine in... its a good idea but i dunno how much i could get an electric engine for..

plus, i cant use liquid cooling... the liquid for the engine comes up as like 130 degrees celcius! i dont really plan on riding this bike after i mod it :[..

btw its gona be air cooled ;P

Day 2
Mini update: Painting and getting new parts.
Cant do anymore due to lack of parts :'(

Today is victoria day!... overnight, i coated the frame of the bike with a golden gold (lol) paint... unfortunately, i was spraying blindly with the spray paint because it was dark outside. i got some on the wheeles and brakes :'(

Anyways, i started peeling the "skin" off of the actual plastic fairings of the bike. To my dismay, the inside was covered in GLUE! and had all this dirty crap stuck to it after 6 years of sitting there and soaking up leaked gasoline and oil.

it was horribly disgusting BLAH! the other part, the seat, however wasnt too bad considering my clean a$$ was sitting on it all day long. So i painted the frame and the seat.

I'm going out later today to buy new fairings for the bike... i cant work with nasty rat-poop and glue covered fairings...

Still waiting for my TRUE to arrive and a good deal on a cheap case that i can use to cut out the mobo tray from

Last edited by Saibot; May 18, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 03:34 PM
Top Prospect

I have an ultra cheap case sitting here, if you are in Calgary (Or area) it is yours for free. Rather not go through the hassle of shipping something so large though.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:22 PM
Top Prospect

o_O thanks for the offer... but im in ontario lol :S

the search continues!!!