Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
Top Prospect

Day 7 & 8
Mounting PSU and cutting fairings.

Well... to my dismay, sometime between my last update and my current one, i've seemed to misplaced my Nikon D80 SLR
I've been going to too many drunken parties

Regardless, i persevered and kept working. Unfortunately, from now on, all the pictures are going to be cr@p due to my cr@p phone cam.

Day 7, i mounted the PSU. I actually took pictures of myself working on it but.... their on my SD card which is on my D80 which is somewhere.... Dam.

So i took two pics of the finished product.

and then on day 8, i finally chose a logo (out of three that were presented)
Heres what it looks like and what happens after i cut it into the fairings.

Now you guys are all probably going "WTF??!?! isnt that the nVidia logo thing?!?"
you see, i'm not very creative so i like to take other ppl's ideas and add onto them to make them better. Its natural for humans to do this. Take the helicopter for example... it was derrived from the shape of a dragonfly LOL!. anyways, my logo is NOT the nVidia logo (even though i will be using a nVidia card)... pfff.. i wish they sponsored me :(

so i added on two extra strokes:

And here's the original logo after its cut out (this is what it's supposed to look like :P)

So i stopped drawing and got to cutting (took me 2 hours to draw out the logo... had to keep covering up my permanent marker mistakes with more tape LOL!)

I learned something about cutting plastic. It's really simmilar to going to the beach... But instead of getting sand in unexpected places, you get plastic dust/shavings in un expected places

SO anyways..... i started cutting with safety goggles... and i realized i was getting loads of plastic shavings stuck up my nose... so i decided to wear my helmet for this one.

Heres the progression.

AND ITS FINISHED!!!!

Luckilly i wore a helmet for this one... when i took it off... the front visor was covered in plastic dust lol.

but that wasnt the worst >.>
by the time i went inside to take a shower.. i discovered a hidden cache...

Anyways, thats all for today. Up next will be reinforcing the fairings and whatnot (their kinda flimsy now).

UPDATE
I'm now working fulltime. havent started day 9 yet... (its been 5 days since last update).
Lost my damn phone on the bus two days ago... so now i have absolutely nothing to takep ictures with...FML

Will post anohter update on sunday maybe... if i can getsome sortof image capturing device,

Secondary System:
Phenom II 940 @ 3.8ghz//ASUS M4A78-E ATX 790GX//XFX 8800 GTS//OCZ 700W//ThermalTake Soprano RS Modded//8gb OCZ SLI edition DDR2-800//1TB WD Green.

Last edited by Saibot; July 16, 2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

DAY 9
Cutting holes for graphics card in fairings.

ALLLRIGHT... so i havent worked on this in a while and i finally got one day off. i also got a new phone (n0k1a 7510) so i can take pics now. unfortunately, im fulltime workin in ottawa while my bike is in toronto... im gona be living here for a while.. and i may occasionally get one or two days back in toronto... so anyways, i finally got one day back in t.o and this is what i worked on.

cut some 'stylish' slots for teh graphics card.

short update. sorry, wont b doin another one for one or two weeks -.-

Secondary System:
Phenom II 940 @ 3.8ghz//ASUS M4A78-E ATX 790GX//XFX 8800 GTS//OCZ 700W//ThermalTake Soprano RS Modded//8gb OCZ SLI edition DDR2-800//1TB WD Green.
Old August 4, 2009, 09:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

An idea came to mind, dunno if you have the space, but to make it so that you have they keyboard/mouse and monitor in the bike as well (i may have an "old" (3-4 years) crt which i doubt would fit i could donate if you think it could)
Old August 5, 2009, 06:47 AM
MVP
F@H

All I can say to this is....EPIC... One of the best case mods I've ever seen.

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard $80 + Qualitas 73GB 10k SCSI $30
Old August 6, 2009, 02:48 PM
Top Prospect

looks good, grats!
Old October 5, 2009, 11:09 PM
Top Prospect

Finishing up and Finished Pictures

Well guys, i really have not updated this in almost two months. I actually finished this project on september the 6th, which was ONE DAY before moving into residence at the university of waterloo. I really rushed the last 2 days working 9 hours straight a day.

In total, this project has lasted 5 months, out of which, i've only worked on it 12 days. The rest of the time was spent making craploads of money to fund the project and screwing around because of my lazyness.

Most of the work was done the last 2 days and because of how hard i was rushing to complete the project for university move in day, i only have a few photos.

Things i did since the last update:
- Sanded fairings with 80 then 200 then 1000 automotive sand paper to make them shexy (this took sooooo long)
- Re-painted fairings with automotive paint (this cost me a good 30 dollars)
- Re-Painted frame with gold paint
- Cut off another section of the fairing because it was blocking air from the TRUE120
- Found mesh material to use on fairings
- Painted mesh material to flourescent green
- Attached the mesh to the holes i cut in the fairings.
- Installed motherboard + components
- Made a custom fan bracket to reach to the pwm section of the motherboard (because it was really really hot)
- Securely mounted PSU
- Securely mounted HDD's
- Sanded wheeles to make them pure BLACK and waxed the rubber.
- added 5 CCFL's, 1x LED spot light, 2x under-car neon lights (pulled these from a junk yard lol)
- added a total of 6 fans
- assembled everythign together. stable 24/7 oc of 4.41 ghz ht on @ 1.4vcore.

Here come the few pics i have.

Picked up a B batch 3845b260 for OC'ing (aparently these are good)

Re-painting the frame

The mesh stuff i got was actually roof gutter covers to prevent leaves from getting in. Picked up a pack of 20 giant sheets for 20 dollars. i only used one and a half sheets.
Here you can see i used clips to attach them to the fairings. Then i used epoxy to securely cement them onto the plastic fairings to ensure a good bond.

Heres the finished result of my epoxying. clips removed.

Insert missing photos here:________

Thats all the pictures of me working on the bike. I pretty much did everything else without taking pics. Assembled the bike and whatnot.

Then i moved into residence.

FINISHED PICTURES

By the way, i just started screwing around with HDR pictures so heres some HDR pictures. I took them like this so you can see both whats going on inside and outside of the case while the case fans/lights are on.

For full sized, click here

For full sized pictures, click here.

THE END

Secondary System:

Last edited by Saibot; November 16, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old October 5, 2009, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been watching this thread from the beginning and I must say it turned out much better than I thought it would. I'm sure it's quite the conversation piece. Great job!

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old October 6, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wow... It turned out really nice! :) For sale? :P Jk
Old October 6, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Very nice, light and stuff make the bike look very cool. AmuseMe^^ since you said it, buy it :p.. cost doesn't matter..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old October 6, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
Very nice, light and stuff make the bike look very cool. AmuseMe^^ since you said it, buy it :p.. cost doesn't matter..
Not only can I NOT afford another computer, but I can not afford a bike!