Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2009, 04:34 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

You should paint the mobo tray to match the body or frame of the bike as well as the brackets for it.
Nice mod :)
Old July 3, 2009, 05:40 PM
Top Prospect

Well guys. Finally another update. I havent updated this in nearly a month... First i had end of year gr 12 exams .. which was two weeks.. then i had graduation and crapload of parties LOL ... and then there was a recent week of rain which hindered my ability to do anything outside/in my backyard wit this project. I bet lots of ppl thought this proj was flopping lol...

But now that summer has started and i'm a self empoyed loser goin off to university next year, i finally got back to it... Here we go guys!

DAY 5
More metal frame modding and commencing work on the fairings!

So.. throughout the past month where i have not posted anything about my project, some things have changed.
1) I tried to sell my entire i7 kit because i was gettin frustrated that it would get so hot on an open bench. I didnt really put too much effort into trying to sell it and my thread is still open now, so if you wana go do a quick search for it, go ahead. I dont really care whether i sell it or keep it.
2) I shorted out my 9800 GTX+ with the damn metal TRUE120 fan clip. Im currently running an 8800 GTS while i wait for my 9800 GTX+ to return from RMA.

Also, i realized that i havent really been heading anywhere with this project. I never really had an idea what it would look like when finished so i've been kind of running around blindfolded. I Finally decided to actually design this project properly... More to come on my design drawings later on.

For now: here's the updates:

ANyways, so i was trying to fit my TRUE120 into the chamber, and as you can see, it wasnt fitting :'(.. I had but one solution... TO CUT THE FRAME SOME MORE!!! :D

As recommended, i bought the re-inforced dremmel cutting disks. They looked pretty cool so i decided to take a few pics :p

So i began cutting...

and i realized: *ZOMG* the friction from the disk and the steel frame created an induced magnetic field causing all the shavings to line up funny. i was pretty surprised when this happened cuz i was like *LOL i actually learned something in physics 12*!!!!

So heres the picture of the ugly frame with a big steel chunk cut out of it lol. it was like 1" thick :S

Anyways, with the frame done, i started working on the fairings. Unfortunately, i was taking pics of me cuttin the plastic fairings with no SD card... And i just realizd that right now LOL... so sorry for the bad pics. I coudl only get pics of the fairings after they were cut, and not while the designs were draw in, etc etc.

i basically removed all the screws holding all the fairing pieces together.. and began cuttin with the dremmel. Heres what i have:

I kinda screwed up the bottum half (and i havent finished it yet)

Heres what the fairings look like when they are put together at the moment.

Next update: Hopefully sunday july 5th... It will contain my logo designs and maybe even finished fairing cuts :P

Sorry to keep everyone waiting so long >.<

Btw happy belated canada day!!

Secondary System:
Phenom II 940 @ 3.8ghz//ASUS M4A78-E ATX 790GX//XFX 8800 GTS//OCZ 700W//ThermalTake Soprano RS Modded//8gb OCZ SLI edition DDR2-800//1TB WD Green.
Old July 5, 2009, 07:56 PM
Top Prospect

DAY 6

Waiting for a logo design and installing harddrives.

So... as promised, i did some more work on my project today... I asked a friend whos an animation and design major to help me with a logo... but unfortunately, he couldnt get his idea finished today so i'm going to pick up his work tomorrow... which means my original idea of finishing fairing cuts today is a flop.... Instead, i decided to work more on the guts of my machine. i have the mobo and everything ready to mount... i just need space for the HDD's / Optical drive and PSU...

So i decided to do the HDD's.

Lookin around for ways to attach the HDD's to the bike, i decided the best place was probably where the gas tank was. My original plan was to put the PSU there, but there was no space for it... so my harddrives are going there.

Now with this build, there are TWO hard drives, so i'm gona make space to accomidate both of them. Originally, i was thinking of just using steel strapping to attach the harddrives, but i realized that the holes didnt line up with the screw holes on the HDD... so i was left with one choice. Making a hdd cage.

ON WITH THE PICTURES::!!!::

So remeber that old case i had from before? I ripped the drive bays out of it and i was pretty much left with two separate metal "sheets". In an effort to reconnect them, i had to get the distance between them right, so i stuck a harddrive between them.

So... LET THE CUTTING BEGIN! (i finally got some eye protection lol)
And yes, i did get mugged on saturday so i have funny scars on my arm.
jk jk. I went paintballing last week... and my friend dared me to go in a wife beater.. so i did... and now i have scars on my arm LOL.

Yes, that is a harddrive in the bays while im dremmeling it. O_O
I'm crazy enough to do that... Not afraid to let it die in the name of the POCKETBIKE MOD!
Actually, it was an old 40 gb WD IDE HDD that was already dead so i figured i might as well put it's mass and shape to use lol.

Finished product of the dremmeling.

I realized that having one connection wasnt very secure. the two metal plates were very flimsy so i put the steel strapping i bought to good use...

And then... i decided to attach it to the pocketbike frame. There happened to be a metal flat bar thing across the bottum of where the gas tank was suppsoed to go.. it lined up perfectly with the one piece of steel strapping i had on the bottum of the bays so i put two screws in there... then i realized the entire thign was really flimsy so i added another steel strapping thing to the front to make sure it doesnt wiggle around :]

Theres the finished product!

More to come by next weekend. I'm workin full time so i'll see if i can squeeze in some time durin the weekdays to keep this project moving along.

Secondary System:
Phenom II 940 @ 3.8ghz//ASUS M4A78-E ATX 790GX//XFX 8800 GTS//OCZ 700W//ThermalTake Soprano RS Modded//8gb OCZ SLI edition DDR2-800//1TB WD Green.
Old July 5, 2009, 08:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't know if you've answered this or not, but how do you plan on powering your power supply? I'm not sure if something like that would put out enough juice in its battery to allow a converter to switch it to AC so that your PSU can then switch it over to its proper DC voltages
Old July 5, 2009, 11:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Don't know if you've answered this or not, but how do you plan on powering your power supply? I'm not sure if something like that would put out enough juice in its battery to allow a converter to switch it to AC so that your PSU can then switch it over to its proper DC voltages
I dont know if i've answered it either lol.. i have this build log on 2 different forums so i think i must have said this on the other forum.

I dont plan on running this bike with an engine because everything would get greasy and nasty... and i dotn really want a greasy motherboard lol... plus, I totally grinded off the engine mount from teh frame anyways so even if i did decide to change my mind, i'd need some l33t welding skills (which i dont have).

I do, however, plan on putting some sort of a light/illumination device where the signal lights should be and wiring that up to a relay circuit so that once the HDD LED goes on, it also activates the relay to turn on/flash the signal O_O... as if the bike is about to make a turn lol... but i'll get to that later.

Secondary System:
Old July 10, 2009, 02:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

hahaha, this is the best mod I've ever seen. Work faster, I want to see the end result.
Old July 11, 2009, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

UPDATE:

i lost my damn DSLR. (there goes 800 dollars)

from now on, i will be taking pics with my crappy cell phone... EDIT:(which i just realized i lost as well)

Anyways: heres an update without pictures... Power supply has been mounted, logo has been pasted onto the side of the fairings ready to be cut.

its nearing completion

after cutting out teh logo, im just gona give it a new paint job and start installing hardware

Secondary System:

Last edited by Saibot; July 11, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old July 11, 2009, 01:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saibot View Post
I dont know if i've answered it either lol.. i have this build log on 2 different forums so i think i must have said this on the other forum.

I dont plan on running this bike with an engine because everything would get greasy and nasty... and i dotn really want a greasy motherboard lol... plus, I totally grinded off the engine mount from teh frame anyways so even if i did decide to change my mind, i'd need some l33t welding skills (which i dont have).

I do, however, plan on putting some sort of a light/illumination device where the signal lights should be and wiring that up to a relay circuit so that once the HDD LED goes on, it also activates the relay to turn on/flash the signal O_O... as if the bike is about to make a turn lol... but i'll get to that later.
Yeah i tried to quickly read through this thread and i swore i hadn't see you mention it. It sounds like the bike will look kick ass. I have a suggestion rumbling around in my head but it looks like i have a cold/fever (temp is 100.0F) and well it eludes me
Old July 11, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lost!?!?! Egads!
Old July 11, 2009, 03:54 PM
MVP
F@H

wahhh howd you lose it?!?!?!

PS. ABSOLUTELY SICK.
i'm 16 and no way i could come up with something like that LOL