Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2009, 03:33 PM
Top Prospect

hence, the GHETTO RIVET REMOVAL GUIDE!
Old May 25, 2009, 03:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

But if you had a dremel, wouldn't you just need the drill bit? <laugh>
Old May 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

This is looking to a really awesome mod, can't wait for more pics!
Old May 25, 2009, 05:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Looking good.

-----

When you are drilling out rivets on non-spec'd items (Things that don't need to pass some sort of inspection) , use a drillbit size a little larger than the actual rivet hole , it works better.The risk is , 'beveling' the host material , but if you are careful that wont happen.

As far as your dremel work : Looks good to me , that amount of disc loss is correct.The one piece of advice I give would be to use reinforced cutting wheels rather than the 'sanding' type you are using , they'll work much better.

Old June 2, 2009, 05:36 PM
Top Prospect

DAY 4
Angle Grinder cutting and securing the mobo.

I went to home depot and asked the guys there how much it would be to rent a welder o_O... firstly, they had never heard of welding a thin piece of aluminum to a pocketbike frame, and secondly, they did not recommend me to weld aluminum (aparently its really hard to hard weld alum)... Third, the welder cost ALOT!!!!! Instead, they recommended i use a combintaiton of screws rivets and brackets with some JB weld epoxy (i think thats what it was called) to attach the mobo tray to the frame... so thats what i did.

and regarding the eye protection... i dont have any specialized goggles so use the following:

A motorcycle helmet!! ! it blocks the sound and keeps my eyes protected..
and if you notice, i dont have a c-clamp or a vice either.. so i use my shoe :D

Anyways, on with the log update...: Today (actually this is a combination of two days of work. Basically what i did was i removed the "obstruction" present in the last build log posting and then i secured the motherboard tray to the frame of the bike.

As stated before, i like to use a full faced motorcycle helmet as eyeprotection , so i got that prepped up and started cutting.

Yes, i know i look young... i'm only 17 anyways

my friend didnt know how to take pics of me with my Nikon D80, so i told him to cut and i'd take pics

anyways, i ended up removing the entire engine mount because the entire thing was obstructing the motherboard tray.

After cutting, all the metal shards stuck to my magnetic screw driver. i thought this was pretty cool so i took some macro shots of it (^^,)

Anyways, so now that i cleared the area for motherboard mounting, i went out and bought some supplies. Originally, i had planned on making metal brackets to attach the motherboard at weird angles... but luckilly, my friend, who has also done some casemodding (he built a P3 into a wheeled suitcase with a monitor included lol... he eventually disassembled it because the monitor heat was overheating the case) suggested i use steel strapping. Aparently it works very well, so i went out and bought some and decided to give it a try. While at the hardware store, i also found these cool self-drilling metal screws, so i bought some of these too. now i dont have to drill into metal and then put a screw in (^^,)

A shot of the raw attaching materials i went out and bought.

Anyways, i started attaching the mobo tray to the frame w/ various amounts of steel strapping.

There were two points on the tray, however, where steel strapping didnt seem sensible. There was one point that was basically touching the frame, and another point that was really really really really far away... and using long peices of steel strapping isnt very strong.... so i decided to use part of the case aluminum i'd cut off earlier and use it to secure the part that was really really far away. I used a screw for teh part that was close to the frame.

Anyways, i eventually finished attaching the mobo tray to the frame.

This is all for today. i'll be probably modding the fairings abit so that the mobo tray isnt touching them so closely, and attaching the mobo to the tray in the next update.

Stay tuned

Secondary System:
Phenom II 940 @ 3.8ghz//ASUS M4A78-E ATX 790GX//XFX 8800 GTS//OCZ 700W//ThermalTake Soprano RS Modded//8gb OCZ SLI edition DDR2-800//1TB WD Green.
Old June 2, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

SWEEEEETT

Looking like an awesome project - though my only thing would have been - Couldn't you have mounted the motherboard vertically from the seat to the floor? Maybe it doesn't fit in with your plans on where you can the outputs to come out though?

Could have them coming out any one of four spots vertically thought

Just a thought

Oh and the Shag, spotted leopard print on the bike.....
Old June 2, 2009, 06:39 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
SWEEEEETT

Looking like an awesome project - though my only thing would have been - Couldn't you have mounted the motherboard vertically from the seat to the floor? Maybe it doesn't fit in with your plans on where you can the outputs to come out though?

Could have them coming out any one of four spots vertically thought

Just a thought

Oh and the Shag, spotted leopard print on the bike.....
my original plan was to mount it horizontally... but that didnt fit

so i tried vertically..

and that STILL didnt fit lol..

so now i have to make it kinda diagonal-ish.

the i/o ports go out from the mid-right topish... they point upwards. you'll see what i mean in the next update :D

Secondary System:
Phenom II 940 @ 3.8ghz//ASUS M4A78-E ATX 790GX//XFX 8800 GTS//OCZ 700W//ThermalTake Soprano RS Modded//8gb OCZ SLI edition DDR2-800//1TB WD Green.
Old June 2, 2009, 08:57 PM
Top Prospect

DAY 4.5
A mini update...

So... from my last update, i already got the motherboard tray up and everything securely attached to the pocketbike frame... but what kept bothering me was that... it wasnt finished! my fingers kept itching to keep on going even though i didnt know what else to do. I was personally really curious as to what the bike would look like and whether i did the right thing or not....

so as i lay tossing and turning in my bed, i suddenly woke up and decided to mount my mobo onto the tray (LOL!)

Though it looked alright, there was one BIG problem. Up untill now, i've been running my computer outside of a case with random parts scattered across my desk, yet stlil connected. I had a TRUE120 attached to the thing... and i realized that (****IT) there was not enough clearance to fit it... so i had to remove it (guess i'm gona be angle grinding abit more of the frame later on lol).

anyways, i proceeded with my randomness and tried to fit my videocard in.

and yet again, another problem. THe videocard is friggen massive (i never knew it was so big, even though i've owned it for about a year now lol) More work to be done: Cut holes in the fairings to allow the 9800 GTX+ to stick out lol >.<

so anyways, i was itching to see what the bike MIGHT look llike so i decided to take off half the bottum fairings (so i could attach atleast part of it) and see what the bike lookse like. Here are the results.

List of things to do:
Cut away sections of the fram
Cut away sections of the fairings
Repaint everything (shouldnt have painted them at the beginning. it all got scratched up anyways.
do some special modding to the fairings (secret lol... you guys will find out when i get around to it)

More work to be done tmro/day after/whenever i have time. Exams for me are commin up next week so the next update might be either this weekend (if i dont feel like studying for exams) or in 2 weeks lol.

Secondary System:
Old June 2, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Coming along...

Wear gloves when ur using that grinder k ? even with the guard .Thats a really great grinder pic tho !! nice one.

-----

The welding you are after would be 'TIG' or 'GTAW' . It is the pinnacle of welding.I'm pretty good with stick welding , and I've tried the specialty aluminum rods.They are terrible.....I could not get decent welds at all , so until I learn TIG , I pay for my aluminum welding.

Old June 4, 2009, 07:38 PM
Top Prospect

My first job ever was shaking sheet metal, the test to become a welder there was to weld 2 pop cans together (End to end), I really should have learned more metal work there, specially for an upcoming project.

Not too sure if anyone else has brought it up, but where are you mounting HDD's and DVD Drives etc.... ?

Liquid cooling it might be kinda sweet, turn the old engine into one large radiator ^_^