Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2009, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Neat idea !

/subscribed.

Old May 21, 2009, 04:12 PM
Allstar

the point of this idea? lol...

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old May 21, 2009, 06:24 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by element291 View Post
the point of this idea? lol...
Is there ever a point? If it is physically possible, someone will eventually do it.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old May 21, 2009, 07:27 PM
Top Prospect

argh. sorry guys. i havent worked on this in a few days.

no updates yet. still waiting on parts to arrive -_-...
Old May 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
Top Prospect

Day 3
CPU case arrived + fairings. Mobo tray removed, bike put together

Today (yesterday) i spent a long time doing this mod... I finally got a case (for 10 dollars ) and pocket bike fairings (40 dollars). The case was actually pretty nice. it was pretty much brand new (except for a bit of dust on the inside) and painted beautifully with no scratches or anything. The front bezel was pretty good. it had a start/restart button + 2 usb ports and auto i/o. I actually kinda felt bad for cutting it up afterwards.

Poor case... i took it apart.. here come the pictures O_O... there are like 5000 of them lol.

so anyways, i began removing the bezel and taking apart what i could with a screw driver. you can see the power button/reset button removed and the usb ports about to get ripped out

heres the back of the bezel. the auto i/o and the usb ports are here. it looked pretty easy to remove at first. two screws.... but the screws hardly did anything. i ended up breaking the plastic bezel with pliers to get the i/o chip out lol..

Success!! the important guts of the case have been removed!. now its time to cut up the metal.

So i removed all the screws i could from the frame... and then... DISASTER STRUCK!

There were RIVETS!@!@!@!

so here: Welcome to my
Ghetto Rivet Removal Guide W/ Primitive Tools

I have no fancy tools at all in my house/ i did most of this work outside in my back yard so i wouldnt get aluminum dust everywhere. anyways, removing a rivet takes ~3 steps. its quite easy once you get a hang of it.

Tools needed:
Metal File
BIG hammer
A Strong nail

So first, i have my victim, a rivet.

Then i start filing it down as far as it goes, untill its practically flat.

heres the rivet after being filed down.

And then you take a nail and give it a GOOD SMACK (with a hammer of corse)!

It should go right through the rivet

Then you pull it out and walaaaa.. a hole without a rivet!!

Congradulations, you have successfully removed a rivet!

Worklog continued in next post (cant post all pictures).

Last edited by Saibot; May 25, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:51 AM
Top Prospect

Anyways, so theres my guide on how to remove a rivet. i pretty much tore my case apart and removed ever rivet (there were like 30 lol... took me ~2 hours)

So after a bit of fiddling and fondling (not really) with teh case, i got the entire side plate of the case out. Unfortunately, it was too big so i cut it down

as you can tell, im not too good at using a dremel. heres the before and after pics of the dremel cutting disk lol....

anyways, eventually i got the motherboard tray cut out.

Oh ****, i forgot to mention/take pics of the pocketbike parts that came. anyways, i basically spraypainted everything. the plan for the pb is a blue/gold and black paint scheme. Up above, you can see the entire bike frame + fairings put on. I also tried sticking the mobo tray in, and as you can see, its kinda visible :[

i removed the top fairing to show what the motherboard tray looks like inside the frame of the bike. Unfortunately, its very very squished so it looks like i'm gona need to modify the frame... woo... steel cutting, here i come (DAMM1T, time to bust out the angle grinder)

Heres the end of day 3. Later on today i'll be busting out my angle grinder and cutting some steel pocketbike frame (im not gona like it at all. last time i got metal pieces in my eye)

Last edited by Saibot; May 25, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

much much easier and far less work to use a drill for rivets :P
Old May 25, 2009, 11:39 AM
Allstar
F@H

hahaha agreed, use a 1/8 inch drill bit and drill those rivets right in the middle, takes 2 mins to remove them all

but man your a patient man! 2 hours for rivets!

looking good man!
Old May 25, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
much much easier and far less work to use a drill for rivets :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
hahaha agreed, use a 1/8 inch drill bit and drill those rivets right in the middle, takes 2 mins to remove them all

but man your a patient man! 2 hours for rivets!

looking good man!

Haha yep, I was about to say this!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old May 25, 2009, 03:20 PM
Allstar

maybe he doesnt have a drill...

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |