Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, Realityshift! I was thinking somewhere around $700 as well, given the fact that the parts alone were around $500, but I have no real basis for comparison. I was thinking I might market it as part HTPC as well, as it would be a handy media player with an external drive hooked up to it.

I actually had the choice to go for either the NES or the SNES controller converter, or one of each, but decided to go with two of the NES for the sake of keeping the build "clean." If you look at it from any angle but the back, you'd never know it was anything but a standard NES, which is EXACTLY what I wanted; putting in a SNES port would have kinda killed the feel of it.

You know, I actually considered building the computer inside a giant controller, but decided against it. I was pretty sure my fiancee would NOT be OK with having an NES controller for a coffee table, and once the novelty wore off, I'd probably want it out of the way as well. Still...there's always next build :)
Old May 15, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The fact that it looks like any other NES is exactly why that would make an awesome retro HTPC, you did a great job of keeping it looking perfectly clean. NES controller coffee tables are for the man basements lol not somewhere the gfs hang out =) I will eventually be building one but I have no where to put one right now either.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old November 4, 2009, 04:47 PM
Rookie

hey,

great mod man, i read this thread during the summer but i wasnt registered here at the time. im planning on building one for myself this winter. im gonna go with the zotac ionitx-a i think its got the same processor as you used(the atom n330 right?). but its got a good gpu aswell for playing hd video and its got all the ports you could need. anyway i will have plenty of questions, hopefully you can help me out.

spiros.
Old November 4, 2009, 05:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sure; if you have any questions, just fire away.

I had no complaints about the GPU on the ATOM board I used, but I would very much have liked some more display output options; all I've got on my is VGA and S-Video, and the S-Video is a little questionable under linux.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I build mine in august, and I'm using the Zotac IONITX-A-U in it. It's currently in the For Sale section here
Old November 6, 2009, 04:27 PM
Rookie

hey,

yeah i saw your build awhile back, it looks great but sorry i've been looking forward to the whole project for ages(ive been in greece all summer, now im in england) and now im gonna be back soon so im dying to start it.

the hardest thing for me is finding the nes in the first place, they really are going for ridiculous prices, they must be coming back into fashion or something. anyway im really looking hard, and i should be ordering the mobo tomorrow its 210 at newegg.ca and i they have a sale 10 percent off, and ill get another 5 percent off from paypal.

anyway where/how did you guys get your NES consoles?
Old November 6, 2009, 05:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Ebay did it for me, and specifically looking for NON-WORKING consoles. Check your local used sites, or what have you as well (we have usedregina.com here...I imagine Montreal must have the same kind of thing), but emphasize that you're looking for non-working consoles, as people really do want looney prices for working ones.
Old November 7, 2009, 03:45 AM
Rookie

yeah, ive been trying ebay but so far the nonworking ones also had damage to the case or they were in a lot of five or so, and the seller was asking a stupid price anyway. i tried craigslist but you have to sign up to leave a post, and you have to verify your account through the phone so i couldnt do that seeing as im not in montreal. but on ebay they really are asking ridiculous prices. but yeah im trying those local sites like craigslist and kijiji. hopefully i can find a broken one that looks nice aswell.
Old November 7, 2009, 09:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've got a spare one that I could probably sell you for cheap if worst came to worst (mine came as a set of two), but it's a bit yellowed on the front, and some of the words have faded on the front. Keep looking, but if you get absolutely desperate, let me know.
Old November 7, 2009, 06:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I had 3 that I could find, but they all worked, so I had to tear a working one apart for my build.

Last edited by Nemaster203; November 7, 2009 at 07:48 PM.