Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2009, 06:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Idea: Ghetto Watercooling

I just got what i think is a really good idea while I was in my backyard today. We had this Fountain in my backyard thats pretty big, its about 5 feet tall and the water comes out of the top. The pump seems pretty strong too. Over the winter the Fountain broke because we forgot to take it into the garage. Anyways, while I was in my backyard i saw the pump and got an idea :). I just bought an E7200 off of Synth, and hes kindly giving me an Apogee GTX along with it for free :). So now that I have a cpu block, couldnt i use the fountain pump, the Apogee GTX, and get a nice big car radiator???

Just an idea, Lmk what you guys think and if its doable.
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old April 16, 2009, 06:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The pump might have too much pressure, and may break the block. Try to find as much info on the pump as possible, and MpG will be the man to help you. Send him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.
Old April 16, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with Charlie. That kind of pressure might cause the block to leak through the O-rings, or even break parts of it. Get some stats on it to see if you can use it

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love the idea of ghetto watercooling. I just love building things, I guess.

I thought for sure he was going to use the fountain water for coolant, haha
Old April 16, 2009, 06:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The pump might have too much pressure, and may break the block. Try to find as much info on the pump as possible, and MpG will be the man to help you. Send him a PM if he doesn't see this thread.
Ill get some pics of it soon, and im fairly sure i saw some specs on the side of it. Is there any way to undervolt it if its AC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I agree with Charlie. That kind of pressure might cause the block to leak through the O-rings, or even break parts of it. Get some stats on it to see if you can use it
Ya, was worried about that. See comment above :)^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I love the idea of ghetto watercooling. I just love building things, I guess.

I thought for sure he was going to use the fountain water for coolant, haha
lolol, ive never done anything like this but theres always a first time :)
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old April 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

Just went and looked at the pump again (Pics later when i have my camera). And its one of those submersible pumps. So theres no inlet, it draws water from holes in the bottom of the pump, so basically my res would have to be pretty big and my pump would have to sit in the res. The tubes are definitely 1/2" or smaller so im good for that. Theres a model number and more info on the pump but I have a Bio exam tomorrow so itll have to wait till later

EDIT* Nvm, getting a bit excited, went out and got some pics :)

Do i see a + and -? Hopefully that regulates flow, havent tried it yet
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Last edited by arekieh; April 16, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

It's certainly do-able. It may or may not be bleeding edge, but the price will probably be right. My 2c:

-"The pump" could seriously be anything. Many pond pumps tend to move a lot of water, but have comparatively weak head pressure. So as long as there isn't very much restriction, they're great, but as soon as you start to restrict them (like say, with an Apogee GTX waterblock ), their performance tanks. This isn't absolute, but since they're intended to move lots of water unrestricted, the pumps tend to be optimized for it. So you might want to try and pull some serial numbers off the unit, and see what info can be dug up on the net. The other possible concern is the power consumption of the pump - some AC pumps can be absolutely brutal for this, and sometimes a large amount of that can get dumped into the loop. Hard to say for certain without seeing a datasheet.

-You'll have to set up a relay to turn the pump on when the computer goes on, or be prepared to do it manually every time.

-You'll need to figure out a way to connect all the hoses together, since the biggest you'll get on the waterblock are 1/2, while the pump could easily be larger, and a car radiator is pretty much guaranteed to have much larger tubing.

Edit: Saw above. Good for the pump, then. Still have to worry about the rad.

-If it were me, I'd probably cut the coolant with a generous dose of anti-freeze (even if the radiator was remote-mounted), just to guarantee you don't see any corrosion issues from the copper and aluminum being in the same loop.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Thanks for all the info :). I think first order of business is to see if the pump still works :P. Ill try to test it out this weekend, than hopefully ill test it out with something restricting the flow to try and simulate water going through a block, id rather not try on the actual block so i dont blow anything 0.o.
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old April 16, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Can't seem to dig anything up on this SOB. Best I could find was a forum posting that the pump is rated at about 950L/hr (just shy of 1000, which is likely where the ID# comes from). Based on that, the fact that it's a pond pump, plus the fairly low power consumption, I'm putting forwards that there's no way there's any chance of over-pressuring anything here. Clamp everything, and you'll be just fine. Fortunately, you can run this thing without turning your computer on.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

Ya, i couldnt turn up anything. Thanks for looking for me I appreciate it. Just for comparisons sake do you know how many L/hr an MCP655 does? Also, basically ill just have to turn this thing on each time i turn on my computer (its usually on 24/7 anyways). Or is it still possible to connect it to a relay even though its AC?

Once again i really appreciate your help :)
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay