Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Some nice WC stuff... Keep posting pics!
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old April 30, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks! Hoping to get some time on the weekend to cut up the case a bit :)
Just need to examine a few more things before I place some holes. Ah crap, which I just realized I need to go out and buy that Uni-Bit!

Anyway, here's where today's testing has landed me.

On order:
Swiftech MCW-NBMAX
Bitspower TRUE Silver stop fittings
EK Res v2 150

Need another multi-option top which I may steal from my old res.. hmm.. which means I should have ordered more stops.. oops. :)
Old May 5, 2009, 04:57 PM
MVP

wow that's a nice overclock! You got a D0... lucky. I'm stuck with C0/C1 :( I'm around 1.38 to 1.40 @ 4100mhz. 202 BLCK.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Looks nice.

Quick question, though. Anyone know any sure place to get a 920 D0? I still can't seem to track one down. It's holding up my own lil' noob build log.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
Looks nice.

Quick question, though. Anyone know any sure place to get a 920 D0? I still can't seem to track one down. It's holding up my own lil' noob build log.
tankguys in the USA had guaranteed D0 a little while ago but I think they ran out of stock.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:40 PM
Rookie

Good stuff Zoob!

Just a couple thoughts:

When you call powder coaters (or better yet... go there in person) ask them what their "stock" black is. Chances are, they shoot black once a week and if it's pretty much anything but gloss, it will likely work for your purposes. Ask them if they can gang your parts with their weekly black run... should save you buckets over having them setup a run just for your stuff.

My experience is that scratches do show through powder coat. Always better to be safe than sorry and spend the time needed to prep surfaces for coating. use Emory cloth on the scratches - starting with a coarse grit and moving down to a fine finishing paper. For general surfaces, I use a coarse scotch brite pad to scuff up the aluminum. Helps the powder stick.

I read Unibit... be sure to use cutting lube on that thing! You'll get a much better result - especially when cutting soft metal like aluminum. Well, that's all I can add at this time; looking forward to following...

happy modding. :)
Old May 7, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the advice charles_h!! I'm a huge fan of your work and I was doing a lot of research in your Murder threads :) I'll have to hit Home Depot or something and buy some emory cloth and scotch pads. How rough do you make your surfaces?

And an update... got a few parts in earlier than expected, but my EK res is on back order.

Borrowing a macro lens from my friend, and man this thing is sweet!

Finally found my 24/7 OC settings for 6GB of RAM for low noise/heat/power.
Had to bump up BCLK to 201 because spread spectrum gives me slightly less than 4 GHz :P

And for you lowfat, I tossed in my 2nd kit of 3x2 D9KPV for 12GB total and it's passed 3 rounds of LinX so far in about 50 minutes using the exact same settings as 6GB. I think it's a good thing you're selling your old chip :)

implosion222, I was a bit premature on the 4.2 OC as I didn't have the RAM stable yet. I'm gonna hit 4.2 with some LinX again after I test this 12GB setup. I super lucked out on the 920 with Dell.ca shipping me a D0 and others a C0. When I ordered an E8400 from them, I got an E0 so I took my chances and won the gamble! But even then, it looks like my chip is only marginally better than an average C0.

crispex, looking forward to what you have up your sleeves :)

Code:
MB - Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
CPU - i7 920 D0
RAM -  3x2GB D9KPV
CPU Cooler - FuZion v2 
Fan - PA120.2 + Scythe S-Flex E + db-1 
VGA - 8800GTS 512 + EK FC-G92  
PSU - Corsair HX620 
HDD - X25-M 80GB 
----------------------------------------------
AI overclock - manual
OC from CPU level up - auto
OC from Memory level up - auto
CPU Ratio setting - 21

CPU configuration 
CPU Ratio Setting - Auto
C1E Support - enable
Hardware prefetcher - enable 
Adjacent Cache line prefetcher - enable 
Intel Virtualization tech -  enable
CPU TM Function - disable
Execute Disabled bit - enable
Intel HT Technology - enable 
Active Processor Cores - all 
A20M - disabled 
Intel Speedstep tech - enable 
Intel Turbo Mode tech - disable
Intel C-STATE tech -  enabled

BCLK frequency - 201
PCIE frequency - 100
DRAM frequency - DDR3 1611
UCLK frequency - AUTO
QPI frequency - AUTO

Dram timing control 
1st iformation - 8-8-8-24-6-88-14-8-30-0
2nd information - 1N-59-61-62
3rd information - 7-7-18-9-9-9-7-6-4-7-7-4

EPU II phase control - full phase
Load-line calibration - auto
CPU differential amplitude - auto 
Extreme OV - disabled 

Current voltage 1.244V - 1.812V - 1.290V (May be different)
Cpu voltage - 1.25000
CPU PLL voltage - 1.81592
QPI-Dram voltage - 1.32500

Current voltage 1.230V - 1.508V - 1.111V - 1.508V
IOH voltage - 1.25916
IOH PCIE voltage - auto
ICH voltage- auto
ICH PCIE voltage - auto

Current voltage 1.654V v
DRAM Bus voltage - 1.65681
DRAM REF voltage - auto

Debug mode - string
Keyboard TeakIt comtrol - disabled or enable

CPU spread spectrum - auto
PCIE spectrum - auto
CPU clock skew - auto 
IOH clock skew - auto
Old May 7, 2009, 06:35 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Thanks for the advice charles_h!!
And for you lowfat, I tossed in my 2nd kit of 3x2 D9KPV for 12GB total and it's passed 3 rounds of LinX so far in about 50 minutes using the exact same settings as 6GB. I think it's a good thing you're selling your old chip :)
Ya I was talking to Linus yesterday about it, he believes it is the CPU as well. Too bad i already sold all my other ram
Old May 7, 2009, 11:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Thanks for the advice charles_h!! I'm a huge fan of your work and I was doing a lot of research in your Murder threads :) I'll have to hit Home Depot or something and buy some emory cloth and scotch pads. How rough do you make your surfaces?
Cheers zoob! :)

You don't want the surfaces rough - use the Emory cloth on the deep scratches and try to get the surfaces as smooth as possible. The scotch brite pad can be used on stuff like the motherboard tray which is plated... the pad will ever so slightly etch the surface giving the paint a little extra help with bonding. I've never seen powder coating chip but I reckon it's good feng shui to properly prep surfaces rather than just hoping for the best.

Here's the Scotch Brite pads you want: Shop 3M: Hand Pads

Awesome macro shots!
Old May 15, 2009, 05:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sweet I picked up some emery cloths and a scotch pad. Will get to work on it this long weekend :)

Here's a wall of text - sorry no pics as I was intent on getting a test system up and running last night AND I had to return the macro lens.

I tore apart my old Core 2 rig to yank some of its guts (GTX285, PSU). Put together a make-shift setup on my desk.

Turns out, the placement of the NBMAX on the R2E is TERRIBLE if you have a FC block on your first video card. I ended up having to use two BP 45 Rotary fittings to make an S shape so the bend from my EK-FC wasn't super tight.

Also, I had a small leak on the BP compression fitting on the NBMAX and killed my fingers tightening the stupid thing. I don't have any pipe wrenches that are small enough for the job, so I ended up wrapping the fitting in cloth and using my needle-nose pliers and tightening the crap out of it -- no leaks as of this morning. I left it bleeding over night, and hopefully when I come home from work I won't have a wet mobo

Primochill LRT tubing looks really nice with the BP fittings, but man does it ever suck trying to tighten the compression fittings. I hold the tubing, hand tightened the CPU and GPU blocks, then I think my forearms got too weak to tighten the NB block. My index and thumb fingers are all scratched up now

One last thing, I noticed my CPU temps are uneven now, 10C higher on core 1+2 than 3+4. Probably an air pocket in the block somewhere..

Regardless, the test setup gave me a taste of the challenges I'll face when putting this system into the actual TJ07. I did end up disassembling the TJ07 last weekend, and had a little accident that ended up shearing one thumb screw that holds the PSU plate in place. Now in one of the rear support beams I have to figure out a way to get the piece of screw out :(

Pics to be edited in tonight... thank you for reading if you got this far!