Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Heheh

---------

Ran all night with no problems. 51 C

PSU was pretty warm tho , I think I'll need to do some more work on the thermal paths.

-----

I've got the MO display software up and running.I'll be adding several thermal probes today so I can get a better picture of the temps.

------

Once I get the thermal issues ironed out , I'll get to the sealing.The idea with the cabling is to build a plate that bolts over the rectangular hole at the back , that the cables will be sealed to.......I don't have the cables yet tho so....

Old April 13, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

ok !

I've installed the 1-wire digital thermometers , and run some tests.

---------

Open box , ambient temp=22 c , ~2% cpu load
-----------------------------------------------
CPU : 39 c
Northbridge : 37 c
Southbridge : 31 c
Video : 58 c
PSU : 28 c
HDD : 30 c

Case top on , ~2% cpu load , after 3 hours
------------------------------------------
CPU : 51 c
Northbridge : 51 c
Southbridge : 43 c
Video : 71 c
PSU : 44 c
HDD : 42 c

The internal air temp of the case was 40 c

-------

The listed PSU temps are for just inside the case , above the heatsinks......I'll be cracking open the PSU and remounting the 1-wire probe , get a more precise read on the PSU....

Old April 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Couldn't you add a fan inside the case (no exhaust) just to allow some air movement?
Old April 13, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

It's got one.The fan inside the PSU.

Old April 13, 2009, 09:31 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking more of some cross airflow over the board. This would help lower the GPU and NB temps. All others are well within safety margins.
Old April 13, 2009, 11:11 AM
MVP
F@H

also i was thinking about it the other night if you sanded the grey finish off the outside of the case (everywhere) wouldn't you get a more effective heatsink from the whole thing?
Old April 13, 2009, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I was thinking more of some cross airflow over the board. This would help lower the GPU and NB temps. All others are well within safety margins.
If I do , it will be 'bonus material' on this worklog.

....And in fact with the loads it's seeing , every component is within spec ( Except the PSU I'm guessin ) . Even at 71 c the video card is fine.

The Northbridge is exactly at the temp I thought it would be.It's 1 inch from the CPU , given a static sytem , they will equalize , and the experimental values back that up.

-------------

This log is over for the most part.The rig totally works for the 12 hr sessions it needs to.I have only to install the USB Stingray and confirm loads with some data coming in.

-----------

I'll post the final sealing process here , then lastly , a pic of this rig running while I water it in the garden with a hose.

-------------

/me bumps back to the Thinktank 2 thread.

++Good

Old April 19, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

OK......

Got back to playing around with this today.I think I've decided to thermally connect the video card and possibly part of the PSU.

I took apart the psu.

------

After dis-assembly , I tested the primary (HV) switchgear heatsink , and the secondary (LV) switchgear heatsink for thier voltage relation to ground....I also added another channel of temp monitoring , so both heatsinks are monitored.

The primary heatsink (The short one in the pics above) is @ -160 Vdc , related to ground.

** Important lesson ! : don't poke around inside a PSU if you don't know what you are doing **

I used a voltmeter to discover the live heatsink , but it's possible to discover that with yer finger.....160 Vdc is no joke , be careful !

-------

The secondary heatsink is case grounded.I connected it to the case with a jumper and ran the computer for an hour ;

-----

Funny thing is , it was only when I was resizing/proofing that shot , that I saw the electrolytics !!

There are at least 7 blown caps on the secondary side.....sigh nother antec victim.

It still totally works !..... I'll hafta replace the caps with better spec'd units , and try again.....after 1 hour the temps on the 2 PSU heatsinks were >50 c.

------

I'll be working on the video thermal path right away , need more copper tho....

Old April 19, 2009, 06:57 PM
HaDeS

gg antec... another satisfied owner. Thisah is how we fixah russian space station! BANG BANG BANG.
Old April 19, 2009, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Russian components , American components , all made in taiwan......