Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2009, 09:16 AM
Allstar

Great worklog, I look forward to seeing the rest. I'm in the process of building one but waiting for enough money to get a few things. I was looking at the NMedia 2000b or whatever it's called as it's atx and lets me use my old mobo.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old March 3, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i don't know about the 2000B but the 5000B i got is something i really like since it's a desktop formfactor, but is the full 5.5" high so i don't need low profile stuff. It will take a full atx psu and a matx mobo, plus it has 4x 3.5 internal drive mounts plus a slteathed dvd rom drive. one thing i think would go really well with this case is instead of a the supplied powier button is one of those bulgin vandal buttons in black anodized aluminum.

Old March 3, 2009, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ok so i got the case and i had a couple of extra hours tonight. So i decided to rebuild my HTPC.

First here is the box the case showed up in. plain jane brown box.

next we have some product shots of the case with all the side panels on.

Next up we have the parts from my old HTPC which is going into the new case.

Now we have the case with the Top panel off.

LCD Module Installed, in this picture i accidentally installed it upside down. (there are no markings on the unit to indicate which is the right way.

Mobo, Ram and CPU installed on into the case

Front panel connectors.

Sound Card Installed

This card just first as you can see.

Tv Tuner Card

HDD/DVD Rack

One HDD Installed

Everything Installed

This is with everything installed, with 4 HDD and Optical Drive this unit is very heavy so don't drop it. Also i would recommend using a molex to sata adapter for the bottom ones for ease of use and connectivity. Also attach the SATA Data cables prior to reinstalling the part back into the case.

I actually used a Antec Neo Power HE. With this case a modular PSU is a must.

All the cable installed

Finished Product

Now unfortunately i won't be posting screen shots of the software rebuild since by a fluke accident i managed to hook all the drives back in properly. So i didn't have to reinstall anything. However for the sake of this guide i will go over the steps.

SOFTWARE

This part will assume you know how to install windows.

First Install Windows, i used windows XP and it's worked pretty good so far.

Once windows is installed install all of your drivers. For the Front panel lcd don't install the MCE software just install the USB driver.

Once all your drivers are installed continue to install all of the remaining windows updates.

Next install your codecs. I recommend using the CCCP codec pack. If your using a regular Onboard sound card you would also install the Nvidia Purevideo Codec Pack. If your using a soundcard such as the Auzentech series which support DTS/DDL just set it to either DTS or DDL and be done with it.

Finally install SAGE TV. the install is pretty straight forward. Input all the pertinent data. Choose your recording directories, media center import directories, source setup (TV Tuner). Once your done that your basically setup. Now comes the tweaking. First go into Setup -> Detail Setup. Under vide settings change the video rendered to vmr9 (direct x) also if your wanting to watch encrypted DVD's you will need a dvd decoder such as nvidia pure video or cyberlink's power dvd.

Now to get that LCD working with sage TV. This involves a bit of tweaking.

First download all of the pertinent software. You will need the following.

1. LCD SMartie
2. LCD SMartie VL Systems Plugin
3. Nielm's Status Plugin
4. LCD SMartie Plugin

If you follow the instructions on the pages they should be fine. When configuring LCD SMartie just make sure you select the proper com port for the LCD module. For me it was COM3, leave the bit rate as it is.

Also before you install the plugins make sure you have LCD SMartie working with the module.

For me all i wanted to display was a progress bar, channel number, program name, and the amount of space left on my recordings drive.

To do this i needed to make 2 screens

anyway that's all i can think of ATM. Here are some links to the files i posted above.

LCD Smartie - A free open-source LCD program!

Sage LCD Smartie plugin

GetStatusPlugin - sageplugins - Trac

Video of HTPC in action.

YouTube - HTPC Video

If anyone here needs help setting up their HTPC's i am willing to give you a hand. One change is your going to be using MCE instead of Sage TV. then you don't need to use LCD Smartie but rather just install the MCE software and just select MCE from the options.

Anyway that's it for my HTPC rebuild. My thoughts on the case are while it looks rather nice, the metal is very thin, and has sharp edges. but it is only $100's but a purpose built HTPC case so you get what you pay for. If i had to do it again i probably would have saved up more money and and got something like the Fusion. One other addition that would be nice would be a 2x20 size graphic LCD instead of a character LCD.

Anyway enjoy the read. I am off to bed now.

Old March 12, 2009, 09:11 PM
HaDeS

Nice clean install dude... I'm gonna be redoing mine here soon and getting back my top cover i had modded. Braineater informed me that i coulda had it done way cheaper but wutever I wanted to give an up-an-starter a shot at it. My case is similar in layout... even with the litlte tiny fans which i hate TBH. I'll be ripping those out and replacing them with dual 140mm fans if i can get them to fit.
Old March 13, 2009, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks for doing the write-up! I'm still getting my feet wet in all of this and am really surprised by the learning curve when trying to get it all integrated and operating smoothly. I bought myself a DH-101 and didn't much care for the packaged software, so I'm trying VMC at the moment and I really like it... so far. I hear it has many limitations so my opinion probably will change once I reach those. I've read in a couple places that TMT will 'integrate' into VMC for bluray... but I'm not going to start holding my breath just yet. Hell I'm sill having issues trying to get my FLAC's working right.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 14, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Thanks for doing the write-up! I'm still getting my feet wet in all of this and am really surprised by the learning curve when trying to get it all integrated and operating smoothly. I bought myself a DH-101 and didn't much care for the packaged software, so I'm trying VMC at the moment and I really like it... so far. I hear it has many limitations so my opinion probably will change once I reach those. I've read in a couple places that TMT will 'integrate' into VMC for bluray... but I'm not going to start holding my breath just yet. Hell I'm sill having issues trying to get my FLAC's working right.
One of the biggest limitations with VMC or MCE is the EPG support for ATSC in canada. You should give Sage TV a shot. You can install it on your VMC box and it shouldn't screw with teh VMC configuration as it's just a program.