Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2009, 09:19 PM
Rookie

Default Build in progress. Waiting on parts!

Hey guys, I thought I would post these here just to show what I've been working on and get feedback and suggestions. So far I have the extra fan mounted on the top and motherboard, ram in place. One dumb thing I id though was when ordering a 80mm fan for the back part of my Coolermaster 690 I didn't realize it had to be a 15mm fan not a 25mm. I didn't even know they made 15mm fans! I also have been having a hell of a time trying to find one that will mount on this case.

I am now waiting on the processor (Q9550), graphics card (GTX 285), HDD (WD 650GB Caviar), and my dvd burner w/ Lightscribe (should be nice to not have to write on my discs with a Sharpie). Now I am going to run Windows 7 64-bit beta on it and hopefully won't have any compatibility issues. I am considering ordering another 4gb of ram but no rush there.

Anyways, enough of that. Here are some pictures!!
Attached Images

Old February 8, 2009, 12:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Lookin' good so far p3dro. Yes, the mobo-tray fan is a PITA.. has to be 15mm, and has to have open corners(where the screw holes are). You'll soon realize that the included CM 120m fans are quiet, but weak. I mounted them in the 2 top holes, as convention will ease the load on them, and replaced the rear 120, lower side-panel 120(second won't fit with TRUE 120 ), front 120 and added a 120 to the bottom spot(in front of the PSU)... all Scythe SS 1200rpm...got them last spring for $6/each. I also mounted my PSU upside down, so the cable-bundle is closer to the mobo-tray hole(for neater cable-management). This also makes the PSU draw cooler air in from underneath the case, to keep the PSU internals nice and cool.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:49 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Lookin' good so far p3dro. Yes, the mobo-tray fan is a PITA.. has to be 15mm, and has to have open corners(where the screw holes are). You'll soon realize that the included CM 120m fans are quiet, but weak. I mounted them in the 2 top holes, as convention will ease the load on them, and replaced the rear 120, lower side-panel 120(second won't fit with TRUE 120 ), front 120 and added a 120 to the bottom spot(in front of the PSU)... all Scythe SS 1200rpm...got them last spring for $6/each. I also mounted my PSU upside down, so the cable-bundle is closer to the mobo-tray hole(for neater cable-management). This also makes the PSU draw cooler air in from underneath the case, to keep the PSU internals nice and cool.
Hey 1Tanker, thanks for checking out my build progress. i like that idea of switching the fans up. I'll tell you though, the fan on the top is a Aerocool Xtreme Turbine that says it moves 89.39 CFM. It was a PITA to mount though ... the screws were very tough to turn and at first it wouldn't stay solid to the case. Took me almost half an hour just to mount that one fan!! I don't have a lot of experience mounting fans but are they always tough to mount?

Did you end up finding a fan that would work for the mobo? I'm thinking I will move the rear fan to the top and move the Aerocool to the back. i kinda want to leave the front fan alone as it has the green LED lights for the case. my question is which fans should be pushing air out and which ones should be pushing cool air in? I'm going to order a nice 140mm fan for the bottom but haven't decided on one yet. Maybe order another 120 for the top at the same time.

Can't wait to get the rest of my parts so that I can finish!!
Old February 8, 2009, 12:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks great! (I wouldn't have gone with the Nvidia green, but that's your choice... :) ).

Just a heads up on the lightscribe though.... don't throw out your sharpies! You'll probably want to use them for everything other than special projects/backup disks, as Lightscribe burning still takes forever to do. :)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old February 8, 2009, 12:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Looks great! (I wouldn't have gone with the Nvidia green, but that's your choice... :) ).
haha, green is my favorite color though. I am a big fan of nVidia as well and i'm thinking of getting an extra green LED for the interior of the case. i'm thinking of putting this badboy fan on the back of the case.

NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Kaze Maru 140MM Cooling Fan 1900RPM 41.3DBA 104.5CFM *Fits 120MM Mounting Holes - SY1425SL12H In Canada.

Overkill? i don't worry too much about the noise as it really doesnt bother me and I use headphones for gaming. might get 2 of em and put one in the bottom as well. 104.5 CFM lol!

Question about raid0 as i have always just run a single HDD. if I get a 2nd WD Caviar and put them in raid0 (after i learn how) will it be faster than a single drive? This may be a silly question.

thanks
Old February 8, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3dro View Post
haha, green is my favorite color though. I am a big fan of nVidia as well and i'm thinking of getting an extra green LED for the interior of the case. i'm thinking of putting this badboy fan on the back of the case.

NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Kaze Maru 140MM Cooling Fan 1900RPM 41.3DBA 104.5CFM *Fits 120MM Mounting Holes - SY1425SL12H In Canada.

Overkill? i don't worry too much about the noise as it really doesnt bother me and I use headphones for gaming. might get 2 of em and put one in the bottom as well. 104.5 CFM lol!

Question about raid0 as i have always just run a single HDD. if I get a 2nd WD Caviar and put them in raid0 (after i learn how) will it be faster than a single drive? This may be a silly question.

thanks
Quote:
Did you end up finding a fan that would work for the mobo?
No, i didn't bother. What i plan on doing, is cutting out a much-bigger hole(but carefully placed as to not weaken the tray) that will allow any warmer air to possibly escape, can/could be used to route some cables through(behind mobo), and best of all.. eliminate having to remove the mobo if/when changing HS/Fs' backplates(i figure ~ 4.5"-5" square).

Quote:
104 cfm in the bottom might not be the wisest idea, here's why:
1. That's a lot of air movement, which will either suck all kinds of dust/hair in and blow it around or right at your GPU. If using the filter, it will have to be cleaned all the time..a PITA.
2. As in # 1, that's a lot of air "draw", which may actually suck in some of the PSUs warm air exhaust.... (possibly counter-productive).

I would keep the CFMs to 60-80cfm max...to try and avoid those two scenarios.

Quote:
Yes, it will be faster, but there's inherently more risk. If one drive dies... the array is lost, along with your data/apps. If a bad crash occurs, power-outage, etc. , that could even corrupt the array. With the vast amount of drive failures, and problems that seem to be more and more commonplace with higher aerial-densities... that risk isn't totally unlikely.

Quote:
I don't have a lot of experience mounting fans but are they always tough to mount?
Are tou talking about screwing the course-threaded fan screws into the plastic screw-holes? If so, yes.. the first time they are somewhat tight... and if working from an awkward angle, can be tight. After the initial mounting, the screws will go in easier, as the threads have already cut into the plastic.

Green's one of my fave colors as well... and i generally prefer nVidia over ATI. I went with the standard CM 690, as the nV version was $20+ more... and price was paramount to me. GL with the build when the rest of the parts arrive.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:04 PM
Rookie

If you want to run raid on windows 7 you'll need drivers for the os to see your drives but chances are there are no drivers out for 7 yet.
Old February 8, 2009, 05:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs01 View Post
If you want to run raid on windows 7 you'll need drivers for the os to see your drives but chances are there are no drivers out for 7 yet.
Vista drivers should work but my guess is Windows 7 Beta probably already has some drivers anyways.
Old February 8, 2009, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Ordered a couple things today ... lol im ending up spending more on this than my original budget but I got my tax return coming. Ok, so I was just going to use my Thermatek CPU cooler but I decided to go up a notch to one that is really going to do a good job.

NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Katana 2 CPU Cooler Heatpipe Heatsink LGA775 AM2 S478 S754 S939 S940 W/ 100MM 1500RPM Fan - SCKTN-2000 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Scythe Kaze Maru 140MM Cooling Fan 1900RPM 41.3DBA 104.5CFM *Fits 120MM Mounting Holes - SY1425SL12H In Canada. Ordered 2 of these and I'm going to mount them on the top.
NCIX.com - Buy Bitspower 5MM Wired LED for Case Lighting 4PIN Molex Connector - Green - BP10353 In Canada. Just for kicks haha

Got free shipping from using my NCIX points because I ordered a laptop backback for school.
NCIX.com - Buy Targus X-PANSION Notebook Backpack with Expansion ZIPPERS. BLACK. Fits Notebooks - TEB002CA In Canada. Perfect backpack for me, little pricy but it's got everything I want. I've got a Lenovo Y430 14.1, 2GHz, 3GB, 160GB
CPU = Intel Q6600 @3.15GHz HDD = Maxtor 320GB RAM = Corsair XMS 2x1GB & Kingston 2GB (4GB) Mobo = XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Case GPU = XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX (down to one) PSU = Ultra 700w Modular Screen = Dell 19"

CoolerMaster NV690 System
CPU = Intel Q9550 HDD = WD Caviar Black 650GB 7200rpm 32mb cache RAM = Patriot Extreme 4GB 800MHz 5-5-5-12 GPU = XFX GeForce GTX 285 Mobo = XFX nForce 780i Tri-SLI PSU = Corsair 750W Screen = LG Flatron W2052TQ 20" 10000:1 2MS
Old February 9, 2009, 11:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Not really the best choice of CPU cooler IMO. Should of got something with HDT (heatpipe direct touch).