Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2009, 09:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Build for a sick friend

I finally received the case today so I figured I'd set up everything so when the video card arrives I can just pop it in and get running. (And a quick edit, woot, what a freakin post to get me up to MVP )
Here's the case, painted black inside thanks to Eatstone

The DS3R, E8600 and the Vendetta 2 together:

And in goes the RAM:

The probably highly unnecessary Domaintor RAM cooler installed:

And into the box she goes:

The two 250GB Seagates go in:

The Silencer 500W and DVD burner in and everything wired, with an attempt at cable management (Damn those IDE ribbon cables):

you might be able to see the amount of dust smacked onto that Big Boy fan up top, so I took the top off (tiny screws suck) and cleaned it up:

You might be able to barely see it, but of course I run into the lovely Antec side panel fan clearance problem. Gotta find a way to get that corner of the fan off.

And here it is all cleaned up and ready for the video card:

I found it pretty easy to get things set up in there, but I found my Lian Li to be a lot easier to work in for some reason. The motherboard is so close to the top that trying to get the 4 pin plugged in with the heatsink on and my giant hands was a tricky task. The cable just barely reaches without looking like it's going to tear the socket out.
Once I get the video card I'll start putting a mild OC on the processor and then I'll drop it off to him.
Also, if you have any suggestions for trying to tame the mess in the case, please let me know. I've basically tried covering everything running up with the IDE ribbon and then sticking that as close to the mobo tray as possible to reduce air blockage.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old February 3, 2009, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You found the I/O shield!

Nice job!
Old February 3, 2009, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Indeed I did. The couch cushions swallowed the little bugger when I was moving stuff around. Searched everywhere, then sat down and got jabbed in the arse with it. Lucky I guess.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old February 3, 2009, 10:22 PM
Rookie

Grab some zip ties from the local hardware store. I would also either try to get a rounded IDE cable or just a cheap Sata DVD burner. I just had my IDE burner die so I do have a spare blue UV rounded cable I am willing to send to you if you aren't in a hurry since this is for a good cause. I was able to get a DVD burner OEM for $32 here in Regina I would imagine it wouldn't be much different anywhere else price-wise. Just send me a PM with an address and I can send it in the mail. I'll snap a quick picture of it an post it for ya.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:31 PM
Rookie

Here is a pick of the cable and also a DVD-ROM which is IDE you can have if you want as well. When I replaced my DVD burner recently I swapped that with a regular Sata DVD-ROM as well. Also, if you do want this stuff let me know if there are some other cables or a fan you might be short etc and I can look through my parts. I'm curious what video card are you installing?

Edit: I just noticed my feet are in the pic lol.
Attached Images

Old February 3, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great to finally see this hitting the final stages!
Old February 4, 2009, 06:39 AM
Top Prospect

Right on, lpfan. Nice looking case and a good job. I will be surprised if you friend is not astounded. :)
Old February 4, 2009, 11:02 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Good to see this coming along LP!
Fold for team #54196
Old February 4, 2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

As much as I wish that I can contribute to your cause I cannot. Damn Credit cards got my money in a bunch.

I applaud you for what you are doing for your friend though.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Caznoob, the video card that's coming is a Palit 9800GT, donated by someone I don't know. It was anonymous through Misterlarry, so no idea who to thank for it, but thanks to whoever it was. I have talked to Caznoob as well about the round IDE cable and whatnot, so that will be helpful to that giant bunch o' cables. He also offered an Ultra Kaze 133CFM, but I think my friend would rather be able to hear later on in life (plus nowhere to put that beast)
I went and got a can or air and cleaned out whatever little cracks were still dusty, mostly the HDD cages. Once the card comes I'll be ready to just slide it in and go onto the overclocking stage. I already have installed Vista and various other programs before I did this, with a build in a box Almost done, gotta figure out that side fan dilemna though, because I have nothing in the form of a dremel or close to cut that off. Don't think the wood saw will work too well either.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used