Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2009, 05:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
... can we see a shot of the case with those parts out?
Ask and ye shall receive. Here's whats left behind:

Side panels, trim rings, top and bottom rails, box with power/usb/audio/firewire connections, support brackets for rails, quick locks for drives, couple of filters and a fan, and the front grills.

Tonight I plan to paint the blue buttons black, and do some more sleeving. ATX connectors are a biotch, BTW.
Old January 27, 2009, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

Cwap. not much left behind..!! Can't wait to see more :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 27, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

looks good. How are you liking the cosmo s? I think it'd be cool if it didn't have those ugly rails!
Old January 28, 2009, 11:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm loving the space in the Cosmos. And it has to have those rails, because the trim rings are plastic. Unless they made some feet for it.

The good news is I picked up my parts at the powdercoater's today. They were already doing a semi-gloss black run when I dropped them off, so I got them back in less than 48 hours. I'm really happy with the results.

The bad news is you have to wait until tomorrow for pictures. I'm too tired to muck around with them now. Did you know there are 80 rivets holding the Cosmos S together? My hands are sore.
Old January 29, 2009, 02:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Manually doing 80 rivets dosen't surprise me you're a little sore after, lol

Looking forward to the pics Sugar,

EE
Old January 29, 2009, 06:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As promised, here's the pictures from last night's work.

Here's how I got my parts back. If you look carefully, you can see they left the sponge blocks in the mobo threaded holes.

All 11 parts after unwrapping. I've put the chrome rail braces on the top and bottom panels:

Here's a shot after 27 rivets. I left the slot cover alone, as it is polished aluminum which looks like chrome, and won't scratch up when I'm putting cards in and out:

On the home stretch here. I've only got about a dozen rivets left to do:

And here's the shot you've all been waiting for:

The top power box thingy is not installed yet, I've got a bit more sleeving to do tonight. Then tomorrow I should get my new res and barbs, making it time to tear apart and clean the loop before re-installing.

I'm very happy with the quality of the powdercoating process. Because it's done electrostaticaly, the particles went everywhere including the underside of lips and folds. It was well worth the $56, plus the $7 in rivets. And 4 hours of time. And sore hands.

Updates to follow as they happen. My very pregnant wife is due on Saturday, so I might not get pictures up right away.
Old January 29, 2009, 09:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Double post FTW.

Here's what the backside looks like after I sleeved all the front panel connections:

The sleeving reflects the camera flash, in real life it is very stealth. And I cheated, I just disconnected the esata cable rather than try to break apart the connectors.

Here's a question. Do you think I should take the rails and have them done black too? Hmm.

Last edited by SugarJ; January 29, 2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old January 29, 2009, 10:31 PM
Rookie

If by the bars you mean the ones it sits on and the sort of handles I would say yes that would look very sweet to have done.
Old January 30, 2009, 04:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks bloody awesome SugarJ!!! I seriously have to start sourcing a Toronto based powdercoating company and get my Antec P182 done.

You should send a pic to Cooler Master and say "this is how it should be done" For an extra $50 or so dollars I'd pay for it to look like that.

EE
Old January 30, 2009, 05:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Maaaan Gord.. :drools:.. Some nice powder coat job for cheap, amazing, impressive..

That case looks sweeter than before.. !! .. Can't wait for your expert cooling in there.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution