Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

I agree S_G, fairly difficult and if you scew up (not that you will), incase you do then it is not good. Did you read lowfat's, did you see the powder coat, the person who did it for him messed it up.

Off course Red stands out, but leaving it black would also look pretty good. Or you could do spray painting, take off the covers and paint them red. I kinda have to agree with Phobes on the waterfall idea, I say drop it.. (now you probably wanna beat me, I know :P)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 26, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are such creatures as window/reservoirs apparently

OUT OF STOCK
AngelEye Water Window Reservoir - Clear

Price: 8.50 (9.78 Including VAT at 15%)

Quantity:

The Water Window Reservoir from AngelEye Technologies combines the functionality of a water-cooling reservoir with the aesthetics of a side panel window. Constructed of sturdy cast acrylic and factory pressure leak tested, the Water Window Reservoir is designed to deliver maximum durability.

A 1/8" NPT fill plug at the top of the unit allows for easy filling and bleeding of the system. The reservoir utilizes a unique deep divider system to also help eliminate air bubbles from your lines. The kit itself includes practically everything you need to install the Water Window Reservoir inside your case. So show off your water-cooling system with the Water Window Reservoir from AngelEye Technologies!

Features:
Multi-purpose window kit and water reservoir in one
Visually appealing all clear setup
UV reactive barbs included
Easy access fill plug
Pressure leak tested
Specifications:
26.803 cubic inches of water volume
Cast acrylic enclosure
UV sensitive barbs (polypropylene based)
11.5" x 9.5" external window dimensions
1/2" hose barbs
1/8" NPT top fill plug
Parts:
1 x Water Window
1 x Self-Locking Molding
1 x Razor
1 x Installation Tool
1 x Tracing Washer
1 x Instruction Sheet
Filling Funnel
Filling Barb
Filling Tubing

NOTE: Picture shown with optional UV sensitive water dye, and optional UV cold cathode illumination. Always leak test water-cooling equipment for at least 24 hours before installing in case.
Old January 26, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Love the Arrested D quote. That doctor was hilarious...

Cant wait to see this build...mmmm pretty.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:57 PM
Allstar

I think NCIX just threw this project into a coffin. Seriously, what the hell? First the sales rep I contact never answers my email (same thing happened the one other time I used this rep). I have to go call him out on the forums to find him, only to be told he is no longer in sales. He supposedly forwards my email to another rep, who also does not contact me.

I put in my order manually, since three of my items were dangerously low in stock. I put a note that my rep should handle the order and I do not want it processed until I get contacted by someone. NO ONE calls me, emails me, or makes any faint hand motion in my general direction. My order gets automatically processed by the system, and I send in a ticket. Ticket goes unanswered. I get an order status email telling me the case is discontinued, despite it showing one in stock (after I placed my order, the case was changed to unavailable, I presumed I took the last one). It's also saying the Feser Tube I ordered is also discontinued. Curiously enough, the one item in my order that was listed as "unavailable" even before I checked out, they are saying "will be available shortly". How does that make any sense? To top it off, the Feser rad didn't appear in the email, though everything else did.

So, I requested a call back and it came quickly. I talked to the rep, who, while very helpful, seemed irritated. He informed me that everything else, including the Feser rad AND the Feser tube had shipped, despite the status email. He tells me there is indeed one case left, but it's at their store and he can't be sure if they can transfer it out. For the PSU, he can't really give me any timeframe on when they'll have it, if at all. SO, I have two highly conflicting statuses here. What really bothers me? If the rep is right, why the hell would they ship out my order if three of the items are unavailable?

This is the worst experience I've had at NCIX by a long shot.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old January 29, 2009, 05:41 PM
Allstar

Good news, the sleeving samples arrived! Sorry for the camera phone-quality pictures, my new camera doesn't arrive until next week. Got a Lumix DMC-FZ28S. Until that arrives, here are some poor sleeving shots.

Sleeving
As you can see, the nylon sleeving just destroys the PET sleeving looks-wise. It's soft and you just can't see the wire within. The problem? I got it in 3/16", the next step below it is 1/8", which is probably not even going to fit, and if it does it'll be a miracle that I don't rip it in half. I know why MDPC-X uses 11/64" now.

Your basic TechFlex is not as good. It's far, far easier to put on, but it doesn't do much more hiding than the standard PSU sleeving. It's cheap though, and is still an improvement.

Of the 1/4", which I haven't been able to try yet, I was able to get three PET variants: TechFlex, import (aka standard weave), and heavy weave. The heavy weave has a much thicker wall than the other two, but looks fantastic. The import stuff is not bad either, it is considerably better than basic TechFlex. Note that I think TechFlex manufactures all the variants of the PET I used, but they have different names. You can find them on the TechFlex site, I just don't remember what they're called exactly.

I will probably be using the PET heavy weave for fan sleeving, and maybe misc cables too. Going to get some more nylon for my PSU connector endings, and possibly more of the 7/8" nylon for the first quater or half of the PSU cables, from which the smaller single-strand sleeved cables will come out of and into their respective connectors:
[ PSU ]||||||=====>connector (if this makes any sense)

Heat shrink
I do not like this 3:1 1/2" heat shrink at all. It has an insane amount of glue inside once shrunk, and doesn't really get as thin as I was expecting. I'll need to find another 3:1 or a suitable 2:1 shrink. Not a fan of the clear stuff either, it's got a yellow tinge to it. Good thing about the clear is that you can place a label underneath and then shrink it on top, which is pretty neat.

I like the 2:1 3/4" black heatshrink. Goes on smooth, and is the EXACT fit to slide over a SATA power connector. So, if you're feeling lazy and don't want to take off the SATA connectors from your cables, you can easily slide one of these over and shrink it. Unfortunately, it doesn't really shrink as far as I'd like. So, for this to work, you'd need to shrink it over roughly half the power connector to get a nice seal on it.

Going to get some more 3/4" 2:1, and see what I can find for the smaller stuff.

As for the case stuff, Linus sent me an email this morning. Most of the parts shipped out, just waiting to hear back about the case. Fingers crossed!
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old January 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

S_G thats why I always suggest to people to pick up the stuff from murder mod.

You pay a bit more but your buying GOOD stuff.

I bought some of that tech flex and your right for cheap stuff its ok.. but otherwise its junk.
Old January 29, 2009, 05:46 PM
Allstar

You're absolutely right. After I got this stuff, I kinda wished I had gone with MDPC-X from murderMod in the first place. I'm going to follow up with Charles from there, he said he'd check out his SATA sleeving to see if it fits over 1/2" OD tubing.

In the mean time, going to see if I can find some more nylon and better shrink. I don't think MDPC-X is nylon, is it?
Old January 30, 2009, 01:40 PM
Allstar

NCIX.com - Buy Tagan Black Pearl Full Tower E-ATX Case Black 7X5.25 8X3.5INT No PS Side Window - BLACKPEARL/10070 In Canada.

This Product is Not Available This item is no longer available. Notify me if this product is available again.

Whew, got scared. Finally got a tracking number, good ol' NCIX. I think I got the last one.

Now, we play the waiting game.
Old February 3, 2009, 12:01 PM
Allstar

And so the boxes have started pouring in. Only managed to snap a few shots before the batteries ran out.

I love these barbs. They look great, should have bought more.

And now a word from our sponsors:

Edit: More! Today is a good day.

The camera.

One box of goodies.

Silver Feser Tube with those awesome barbs.

And a couple of things for two upcoming projects:

Last edited by S_G; February 3, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old February 6, 2009, 09:28 AM
Allstar

How about a little narrative about today's journey?

So... My love arrives in a box.

Eager to look inside, I grab whatever tool was closest.

Almost there...

WHITE BOXES OF GOLD!

There they are. Granted, not quite as nice as the 5420s I had before, but they'll OC further. Let's open her up!

ACK! Paper cut!

MEDIC!!! (This is when I remembered I don't keep anything in the bathroom cupboard.)

All better.

Finally inside, after some (serious) war wounds.

And there she is. Can't wait to try this baby out!