Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2009, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect

Default WaterChiller project

today i was sitting in front of my pc with nothing to do. I was so bored that i was thinking about projects to occupy my self. i am that kind of guy that needs to build and invent something few times a year or else i will get so bored that i will die... i then turned my head and saw my window air conditioner sitting there waiting for summer. Then the word WaterChiller came up in my head. My pc is already watercooled so basicaly the only parts i will need to buy is a insulated ice canister (the thing you put ice and beer in), some antifreeze and an insulation kit for the motherboard.

Now this is the first time i am going subzero. i have read alot and alot about phase change and subzero cooling so i know what to expect. But i am still a noob. Every comments, tips, advice will be appreciated.

I took my 5000btu a/c unit appart and modded it a little bit to give the lowest temps possible. I disconnected the thermostat removed the Evap fan and removed some plastic restricting air flow for the condensor. Here are some pics:

compressor

so for now this is it i need to buy some more stuff before continuing. i will post during progress.
Old January 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL...these phase change rigs are so redneck-like. Taking apart an A/C to cool a computer. Who'da thought?
Old January 18, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I don't think phase-change is redneck, I think it's a rather innovative and out-of-the-box idea to use what you would normally use in a fridge or an A/C to cool a computer. Whood've thought?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old January 19, 2009, 12:06 AM
MVP
F@H

holy.....
good luck :|
Old January 19, 2009, 05:27 AM
Top Prospect

and i bet the majority of rednecks can't even do that. It seems all easy, but many wont even dare taking an a/c appart. you must be carefull when moving the evaporator, suction line and cap tube because you can litteraly crack the copper and joints and you loose all your gas. my stock a/c unit (with thermostat unplugged and evap fan removed) gave only -11c maximum. it was when i optimized the air flow to the condensor that it gave -19c, and even reached -21c. i could of built a direct die phase change but my a/c unit wouldnt be good enough so i would have to buy all parts seperatly. so for now i am happy with this and this summer when i will have extra money i might build a phase change.

conclusion, i think it is a fun project and i will have planty of tuning to do. plus i plan on building a bench table to go with it.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

what is the insulating method you are going to use for the CPU socket ?

Are you going to dump the rad into the cooler directly ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 19, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
I don't think phase-change is redneck, I think it's a rather innovative and out-of-the-box idea to use what you would normally use in a fridge or an A/C to cool a computer. Whood've thought?
Same here, I think its an innovative DIY, not to mention cheap, approach to sub zero cooling.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:23 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
what is the insulating method you are going to use for the CPU socket ?

Are you going to dump the rad into the cooler directly ?

i have ordered some materials to insulated the motherboard and it should come by this week or at the bigining of next week. i will then takes pics and describe how i proceed.

the a/c rad that you saw covered up with ice is called an evaporator and yes i will dump it in a cooler with anti-freeze inside. the watercooling will circulate the antifreeze to my cpu.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

There is no rusting issues by submerging a radiator ?

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old January 19, 2009, 11:59 AM
Top Prospect

well antifreeze is anticorosive to start with. plus i have used several times antifreeze in watercooling setup with aluminium and copper and never had a single problem.