Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 28, 2009, 09:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

the bottom picture on that site is wider than the 2 above it? all its doing is making the image larger (which would require a larger screen), cant that be done by moving the projector further from the screen?, so its not doing anything special, if it was keeping it the same width and then making it the same height without making it look stretched then it would be doing something amazing.

Old September 28, 2009, 10:49 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
the bottom picture on that site is wider than the 2 above it? all its doing is making the image larger (which would require a larger screen), cant that be done by moving the projector further from the screen?, so its not doing anything special, if it was keeping it the same width and then making it the same height without making it look stretched then it would be doing something amazing.
You could move the projector back further from the screen yes it will make it bigger, however the further from the screen the lumens drops (need a darker room), also brings other issues such as what if you dont have the room or if the projector isn't designed (screen door effect) for that distance from the screen? Secondly, you are not utilizing the projectors or screens full potiential since you still have black bars. Remember, those black bars are there since the source is larger than the output (16:9) so the image must be reduced to appear on the smaller output. Hense with stretching and using the lens, you are producing an image close to what the filmaker intended.

I believe projectors in the theaters use a simliar setup to display the cinemascope film (or digital source nowaday)

Anyways, not here for a debate since this is supposed to be for gallery anyway. All I know is the lens is an important part of my HT now. The yellow outline boxes on the sides of the picture show what would be left out if there was no lens and the yellow middle outline box would be what image would be if not stretched and black bars (on top and bottom of the middle box) were part of the image. To me, well worth it.

Xfx R9 290X (x2) Sapphire Tri-X 290X 6048x1200/2560x1440 @120Hz| Dell 2709W (left/right) Yamakasi Q270 Catleap 2b 120hz version (center)
OCZ Vertex 3 (x2) Raid 0 480Gb - Windows 8.1 PRO (windows 7 mockup)
Corsair Obsidian 800D | Seasonic X-1250
HeatKiller 3.0 | EK R9 290x WB (x3) | TFC Exchanger Quad Rad |Thermochill PA120.3 rad|TFC Dual rad Scythe Gentle Typhoon (x9) |Swiftech MCP655 (x2) | EK drive bay Res.

Last edited by ontariotl; September 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old September 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

H/K AVR 745
Cambridge Audio azur 540C
panasonic veira plasma
Paradigm 5.1 channel monitor series speaker system
and a bunch of other stuff
Old October 8, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My current setup in all it's bare MDF and primer glory. Mostly meant for music but HT's pretty good too.

EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old October 20, 2009, 11:07 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

Where did you get that equipment rack, i Have been looking for one similar to that.
Old October 20, 2009, 11:13 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestor View Post
Where did you get that equipment rack, i Have been looking for one similar to that.
Visions
Old October 25, 2009, 02:25 PM
MVP

I dig the couch Lowfat. Black would be a better color for it tho :P The bricks?

Here's mine, nothing special. but it works

LOL @ resolution. sorry I'm resizing right now

alright let's try this again shall we!

Last edited by implosion222; October 25, 2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old October 25, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by implosion222 View Post
I dig the couch Lowfat. Black would be a better color for it tho :P The bricks?

Here's mine, nothing special. but it works
OUCH TURN DOWN THE RESOLUTION
Old October 25, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice job on the speaker housings- very clean job with the mdf, which is no walk in the park to make look clean like that. Did you make the satnd as well? Is that a stereo amp nect to the HK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
My current setup in all it's bare MDF and primer glory. Mostly meant for music but HT's pretty good too.

Old October 25, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Nice job on the speaker housings- very clean job with the mdf, which is no walk in the park to make look clean like that. Did you make the satnd as well? Is that a stereo amp nect to the HK?
Thanks. I'm not to keen on the chamfer edge treatment on the sub. But it's a 20" cube with 1.5" thick walls plus internal bracing so I'm not in a big hurry to rebuild it and I may have different needs in the future. The mains are still primer grey, they were just meant as a test build to get the hang of building speakers and to get an idea of what a small speaker this size sounds like. My planned mains will still use the same tweet and 5.5" mid but will add a pair of 8" on each size.

Yes I built the stand - it's still bare MDF as well. I never finished it because I wanted to see how I liked it before I went through the trouble. There's threaded rod going through the 4 corner posts as well as the center brace - it all sort of stacks. So if I didn't like it I could make some changes. But now we're moving next year so I'll probably do something different in the new house anyway.

That stereo amp is my htpc, it's a thermaltake DH-101.

Ryan
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water