Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2008, 06:17 AM
Rookie

Talking Bringing In A Frosty New Year

Here we go guys. The long wait is finally over. A little tearin' down and preppin' never hurt nobody.

CLICK ON PICS

That Panflo 80x25mm fan teamed up with the Thermalright HR-05 SLI/IFX should keep the nb cool. :D

CLICKY CLICKY PICKY PICKY

A little neoprene around the cpu. First try at this. I feel I did a good job but with more practice I'll be better. Going to go the kneaded eraser method at first as people have talked great about it. We'll see.

CLICKY CLICKY PICKY PICKY

Okay. Here we go. Welcome to my new bench station. Hope I have all my t's crossed and i's dotted as I am ready to throw some ice in it tomorrow. I already see room for improvement next time but this will have to do as I am jonesin'. That dang 1200w PC Power PSU was on my nerves with all the cables. One problem I did run into was the DICE plate on the back of the board raised the whole mobo setup so GPU's will not be able to screw in. Going to have to raise the gpu bar with some washers or somethin. Also going to have to put bigger rubber mounts on the mobo tray.

CLICK PICS

Going to go pick up the dice and acetone today and hopefully establish some stable CPU benching specs. Shooting for 5.5ghz to 5.75ghz. Maybe more!!!
Old December 27, 2008, 08:10 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Looking great, but what's the hardware used?
Old December 27, 2008, 04:50 PM
Rookie

E8600 paired with a 790i Ultra. GPU's were gtx 260, 9800gt and 8600gt. PSU was 1200w PC Power.

Well all in all I feel I had a good day. Benched for about 6 hours. Bought about 18 lbs of dice and I still have a chunk left in a cooler in the deep freezer. I was benching at 5.6 somethin' ghz at 1st with my 260's but 03, 05 and 06 kept crashing, freezing and what not. Came to find out hours later that it was just driver related as I went back to those speeds with my 9800gt. Next time I need to focus on 1 series of card and stick with it all day. My area needing the biggest improvement is the gtx 260 single. That's where I start next time as there are mad points to be had there. I could only get the temps to around -60ish degrees. Think I heed to put some TIM within the threads of the pot next time. Here are some pics.

CLICK PICS

Now for what we've all been waiting for. You ask how did I do on my 1st DICE session?

CLICK FOR PWNAGE

Old December 28, 2008, 10:57 AM
Rookie

Back plate problem fixed. The problem at 1st was it wouldn't sit level due to the screws in the back plate and had to rig it up. Used a rotary tool and drilled out the problem area where the screws were hitting. I wouldn't get any style points for this as I missed the area the 1st time but would get functionality points for sure as it works like a charm!!!

CLICK PICS

Old December 28, 2008, 12:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

looks good for a first time. your right about the single card scores, i should have ran those while i had my cards...they are up for grabs

what you will want to do in the future is crush up the dry ice into a snowy powder. better yet, if you can buy rice grain pellets it is even easier as less crushing is involved. this will help lower temps and transfer the cold from the acetone mixture at the bottom. you want to start off the base of the pot with all snow, then pour in a shot or a bit more of acetone. add more dry ice powder as necessary. then pack this down, you want a hard packed slush mixture. then add dry ice packing the entire bench session as you add more dry ice powder. the pot will also hold load much better with a setup like this as transfer of the cold should be much better. from your pics is looks like you just dropped chunks into the pot, it is hard to see.

looking forward to the next set of results
Old December 28, 2008, 01:52 PM
Rookie

Yeah I crushed it, well for the most part. There were still a few rocks here and there but for the most part powder. I was reading that it is not necessary to pack the pot to the top so next time I won't. Also next time I know not to use some much acetone. I put some tim in the threads as well on the pot so hopefully that will lower the temps more than -60 degrees.
Old December 28, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

not sure what you mean, "tim in the threads...". are you referring to where the base screws onto the tube?
Old December 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
Rookie

Yep. Been preppin' the board today so I don't have to deal with the kneaded eraser as much if not at all anymore. Need to go get a little model brush and paint the spray on electrical tape between the mosfets and under the CPU socket.

CLICK PICS