Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

Cool Neo's Watercooled HAF -Pics Warning-

Alrighty, so as most of you are aware, I'm in the process of watercooling my HAF, though there's quite a few steps that I have to go through to get there, so here's a small log that I thought I would get up and continue on with as I go.

Supplies
(Case Painting)
1 Can of Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer
2 Cans of Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Satin Black
1 Roll of Masking Tape

(Water Cooling Loop)
Swiftech MCR220 Dual Rad
Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
Swiftech MCRes-Micro Rev2 Reservoir
D-Tek Fuzion V2 CPU Waterblock w/OCZ Freeze Thermal Paste
Danger Den Fillport
1/2" High Flow Barbs
10 Feet of 7/16" Tubing
Primochill UV Brite Orange Anti-Kink
Primochill Fluid w/ Brite Green Dye Bomb
Sunbeam 12" UV Cold Cathodes

Disassembly/Painting
Being the lazy guy that I am, I initially thought that I'd just tape the snot out of the case and leave it at that, however my interest was piqued to see how it was to take apart. I was actually pleasantly surprised how quickly that it happened until I reached the tool-less 5.25" bay plastic bits. WARNING- Be very careful taking those off, I had one spring launch somewhere I still can't find, though at least 9 of them are accounted for

Taking some care with screws and making sure they're all off is standard practice before pulling at parts, so hopefully that's not an issue for anyone else that tries this at home. Aside from the spring fiasco, nothing else was damaged- and even that doesn't matter. I plan on putting the damaged one at the very top where I need to have my fillport running past anyway, so everything should run smoothly past the crippled bay holder.

Once absolutely everything was removed, I taped up every single part that was factory black painted, even covering the bottom and feet for any overspray issues that may have occured. This is where it took me around a good hour and a half to two hours, being rather meticulous and I'm happy I did. There's no way that tape was messed with by the pressure of the spray cans. Things appear to be going quite well. I ran 2 coats of the Krylon primer over every surface and gave it a gentle sand once it was dry before moving on to the Satin Black which will become the final finish.

The Krylon paint dries quiet fast so it's actually a pleasure to work with- just make sure you're absolutely in a ventilated area. It seems to stink to high heaven a bit more than some other paints I've used. Thus far in my endeavor (Up to the pics of the black case) I've put on around 5 coats, and am actually very happy with the subtle finish that isn't reflective like a new car. Sure the flash comes back at the pics a bit however my digital camera could be used as an X-Ray Backup. The important part is that I'm more than happy with it at this point.

I did debate putting a clear coat over at the end, however these 2 cans are lasting far more than I expected and I think it's going to stand up to some minor scratches and dings rather well. That being said I still haven't quiet decided to seal it or not...perhaps I'll flip a coin in the morning. It isn't the best job done by far, but as long as I'm happy that's what counts

Anyway, on with the painting pics!
Attached Images

A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown

Last edited by Neolithium_Wpg; December 13, 2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old December 12, 2008, 10:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

Reserved for Water Cooling Section
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 15, 2008, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice, I have been considering doing this as well. im getting the HAF for christmas and my only complaint iwht it is the paint job on the inside (or lack of one lol)

I work in a shop full of spray primers and paint as well a bead blaster so this is a very tempting thing to do. How hard was it to get everything off down to basics?
Old December 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Turned out pretty good.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old December 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
MVP
F@H

while its all taken apart apply a coat of clear...itll make your finish shiney and durable...apply more then a coat if you wish:)
Old December 16, 2008, 10:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

This paint job was more half **ed than I expected cause the wife was getting really pissy about the paint smell that she could barely detect. So I'm gonna sand it down and do a REAL nice job this summer, but at least it's acceptable to me for now. It was actually pretty easy to get everything stripped down, much easier than I expected but I took a little more time with it since there's a fair bit of plastic that can be snapped here and there. The most difficult part, like I said above was the tooless bits on the 5.25" bays, but those are permanently off on my rig now. They were a pain coming off but even WORSE getting them back on, so I said **** it. ;)

Purolator is on it's way with my WC stuff so I should be able to start leak testing in the next few hours, if he hasn't frozen to death on his way to my door.
-Author Unknown
Old December 16, 2008, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

lol, how hard would it be to just protect the tooless bits in tape?

I might get lazy and paint the drive bays with some black thread spray since its nice and thin and doesn't interfer with moving parts/threads.

Tags
haf , paint , water cooling