I started with a 40"x40"x1/8" sheet of used aluminum.
This panel was once used in the fabrication of Carbon Fiber sheets - the aluminum panel are used to help form the carbon panel. The carbon is cooked in a heated press at ~40,000tonnes. After a short while, about 100 carbon panels, the aluminum develops imperfections and heat stains - It's then thrown away. My Dad runs the Carbon Fiber plant so over the years I have developed a rather large collection of these aluminum sheets.
After a bit of rough cutting with the trusty jigsaw I did some light filing to clean the cuts.
Then onto bending
The final product, minus the holes.
Once that was complete I checked the fit - luckily the "measure 5-times cut once" methodology continues to work for me.
A side view, note also that the final bends will be much more precise. I plan on having 'V' shaped groves milled into the copper plate where bends are needed to ensure accuracy.
Then I had to drill precise holes in the the chassis.
From there I did a test fit. (Note that the final design will include slots for airflow, I'll post an illustration later today.)
Almost perfect, I eyeballed the holes in the rad mount prototype and a couple were off slightly. No big loss though because the final product will be machined precisely.
Another update for you guys, but there will be more to come this weekend.
I've finished the tray prototype that will both house the radiator, and lift Prometheus 3.5" off the ground.
We again start with some aluminum plate. As you can see I've marked out the areas to be cut.
Like the above post, I've put the jigsaw to work.
After using the dremel to crudely score the bending lines I put the piece in my bending brake.
This is what I came up with
A close-up of the joints.
Then a test. Perfect Fit!
And here is how it sits right now.
In fabricating these parts I've realized that the final design will need to seat the radiator about 1/4" lower. As you can see from the pics, I haven't left enough room for the front rad fan to breathe.
But that's why I made these prototypes... to narrow in on design flaws such as that.
That's all the fabricating I'll be doing today, tune in later I'll have some illustrations posted.
A small update for the masses.
Here is an idea of what a couple of the copper components will look like.
From left to right - Front Facade Panel, Top Exhaust Fan Grill, Radiator Grill/Mount. I'll post the designs for the rest of the pieced some time tomorrow; along with some of the illustrations that I'm going to have engraved throughout the case.
black = cut
grey = engrave
dashed = bend
*click for supersize*
Added a a 'jagged edge' to the front facade. Since the touch panel LCD covers the traditional front air intake I will need to mill slots in the side of the front panel to act as air intake. The jagged edge will make space for these intake slots. The slots can be seen in the initial design concept illustration