Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2008, 09:45 PM
Fallen HWCer

My name is Jesse Lang, and I'm a 21year old graduate of Vancouver Film School - and I'll be returning to VFS this April for another degree.

I'm a big geek and I have been modding just about everything I could get my hands on since I was a little boy.

By trade I am a Motionographer, but I spread out into the world of interface design and experimental user experience stuff as well.

My first project log was my 16 mod eeePC which I completed before the eeePC craze - thats when I got the modding bug really bad. I'n my mind I had been dreaming of another project that would reflect my work on the eeePC, but in a desktop.

After months of designing - fueled by years of backlogged ideas - I started ordering parts with a budget of $4500. I was in school at the time so I had to put off meals to pay for parts.

After just over $3000 I had Prometheus R1.0

After a few months I got some big contract offers so I asked school if I could take a year off. I started making some cash and had the freedom to complete the mod of my dream.

I started with a plan:

Now, 6months later I've been just about broke consistently but happy as hell.

For now I'd like to invite you all to tune into my thread and enjoy.
I've tied to push the envelope in every possible way with this project - and I'm sure that those of you who take the time to read the thread will like what you see.

One of my goals with PrometheusCU is to incorporate "industry". By this I am referring to the little things about the products we use every day, and the elements of those products that make them feel "factory made".

One of my favorite elements of this project is something that I'm working very hard on to get the right feel. This element is the laser raster engravings of little things like instructions, QC stamps, part numbering, and labels like "cool air intake do not block".

Some people have whipped at my "lack of originality" - I'd just like to agree with them and elaborate. For some years I've been watching many 'mod forums' and all these years I've been watching some of the finest artistry and marvels of engineering I've ever seen unfold. The best part was that many of them were humble folk in basement closets - some were German machinists with Grayskull in their corner. What I'm trying to do with PrometheusCU is incorporate many of my favorite ideas and expand on them - all in one mod. An easy enough task in itself, but making it a seamless 'whole' has made this endeavor mentally taxing in just about every way - for me.

Thanks again.
Fun stuff on the horizon and surprises for all. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Langer; December 4, 2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:28 PM
Allstar

Lack of originality? They couldn't be more wrong!
Old December 3, 2008, 10:37 PM
MVP
F@H

^ouch... Been keepin track of this over at XS. I like the way its goin!
Old December 4, 2008, 07:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Some people in here have whipped at my "lack of originality"
Not here. Maybe on other forums.........

Welcome Langer.
Old December 4, 2008, 07:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

I don't see any lack of originality, I sure see a reason for me cry though for my case modding skills being limited to painting though. Looks bloody nice to me.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 4, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Holy .... Thats an AMAZING worklog, can't wait to see more of it!
Old December 4, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Amazing, keep up the good work !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old December 4, 2008, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Epic MOD! I love the way you stripped down some of the components. Definitely takes modding to a new level and those blocks look fantastic. I'd ignore the comments on originality as it is quite unique. I just spent an hour at work reading through it all

The only thing I wasn't sure about in terms of practical was all the right angled bends but if the temps are great who cares, thats a powerful pump anyway.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

aaaahh! *stabs firefox* bitch murdered the draft of my post! whoever made the delete key = back button needs to be kicked in the face repeatedly! >:|

Anyway, I will try to remember all of what I was going to say so do not mind if I miss something.

I have not seen you being called unoriginal(I am assuming this is a copy&paste from another forum?) but I would be willing to suspect that with the sponsors, custom etched copper whatzits, carbon fibre talk and such - people might end up being jealous and disliking you without actually realizing why and just fall to calling you unoriginal because they cannot come up with something better.

After closer examination perhaps the part they do not like is the fact that you are modding something to look as if it could be stock instead of the traditional look many modders give their hardware. (you know it has been modded and you know it is now badass because it was modded)
>_> I would prefer to think that my first guess is correct but now that I spend erom time thinking about it I am probably wrong about the first guess. I hate to think that people would reject something just for looking like it came off the factory floor...

Anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer
What I have come up with will involve soldering the power lines right to the mobo.
Heh. I had considered removing the original connector and soldering half of an ATX extension to the back of my old asus P5K but ended up not doing it due to not wanting to either put the original connector back on the board or cut up the case it would be mounted into next if I ever replaced it.(and I did replace it so I am glad I left it alone)

By the way.. What happened to the thumbnails after the first post? :( Granted, so far I have only seen pages 1, 2, 6 and 7(dialup).. but still.
Old December 4, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Just amazing. I will be watching this thread with much anticipation