Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2008, 09:33 PM
Fallen HWCer

The black keyboard keys FINALLY arrived, and I'm quite pissed.

The keys fit, they fit really well... small caveat:

As you can see, some of the black keys are designed with a twist:

Normally I'd just scrap the plan, but this was a very expensive plan - that I was uncertain of from the beginning.

I've been running though a bunch of ideas and I've come up with this:

using an x-acto knife cut away the clips on he bottoms of the black keys, then cut the walls and corners off the existing white keys...ONE BY ONE!

The end result will work well with a few drops of super glue:

If you'll excuse me I have some grumbling and cutting to do.
Fallen HWCer

After 7hrs of straight carving and cutting, and a couple nicks on my fingers I have this:
The 'hollow' black keys:

The 'streamlined' white keys:

A pile of leftovers:

And the tools of the trade:

I still have to go get some super glue to hold them all together. The keys actually happen to 'snap' together quite nicely, the 'snap' even holds firmly... but I want glue.

Pics of the case and such will be posted tonight after clean my desk - perhaps tomorrow, if I can't get the light right I'll need the sunshine tomorrow.
Fallen HWCer

One of my parcels arrived today:
First up the super skinny Black Ice Stealth GT 120mm rad that will cool the mosfets/nb/sb.

I also got a whole bunch of copper ram sinks that I'll be scattering about the motherboard - for pimp value.

With the unnecessary cooling comes a laptop ram cooler for the Pico-ITX ram.

The second loop needed tubing, and I figured 3/8" will more than cover that - my only issue with this tube is that it's a slightly lighter shade of black (also called GREY?!?!? way to drop the ball PPCs!) than my 1/2 tubing... so it will go right into the bin and I'll be ordering more from NCIX (the place where I got my other tubing).

The flash shows well just how GREY this 'black' tubing is.... useless.

In an attempt to minimize my tubing lengths i got a few anti kink coils:

I also needed some dark nickel plated 3/8" bitspower fittings:

I also got some bitspower T fitting for my fill points:

Some G1/4" bitspower male-male adapters:

Two bitspower fillports... that don't have caps... i didn't realize that and I expected some sealed caps and not just though holes.

Space constraints need to me replace one of my 133cfm Scythe fans with a slim Yate Loon (super lame company name IMO) fan.

Some thermal grease... anyone have any experience with this stuff in comparison to AS5?

And lastly some adhesive thermal pads.

Sorry for the crappy pics, lighting is poor in my basement.
Hopefully more updates tomorrow if my next Aquacomputer package arrives.

Thanks for tuning in... tune in tomorrow. Same Bat time, Same Bat channel.
Old December 3, 2008, 09:34 PM
Fallen HWCer

A quick update for you all:

I ordered the cable sleeving today - I couldn't find copper braid to the spec that I wanted and too many people are using plain old PET sleeve, so I went for Nylon.

The nylon sleeve that I will be using is made to military spec and looks damn sexy IMO.

* UV resistant
* Operating Temp. -49F to 248F
* Melt Temp. 250C / 482F
* Excellent for sound and rattle control
* Compliant with European Union's Restrictions on the use of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) Directive

NM's fabric-like softness and flexibility hide surprisingly tough specifications. The high coverage sleeving meets or exceeds military specifications MIL-I-47203(MI) and MIL-S-47053(MI). Nylon Multifilament is highly resistant to abrasion, cuts, common automotive and marine chemicals, UV damage and vibration. It will not rot or retain moisture.

The only downside is that I had to order 100-225' of each size as a minimum... so I guess all my future projects will sport this sleeve... and the Buick will get some too.

HERE IS A VIDEO

On another note... I also ordered a custom license plate for the Buick - "D VADER"
Fallen HWCer

Another small update.

I took delivery of my second Aquastream pump today, and I've made the necessary modifications to mount it.

I must apologize for the very crappy images, the lighting is really poor in my basement.

First up I had to modify the 3.5" drive bay to accommodate the height of the radiator and the pump:

Then a small cut to the bottom of the 5.25" drive bay to make room for the inlet fittings:

Here is the pump installed, the install isn't yet finalized I've ordered a G1/4" plastic nipple to help reduce vibrations - and the pump will have a proper mount made for it to alleviate the strain on the outlet port.

My Watercool Heatkiller R3.0 CPU block was shipped late last week, and my NB/SB/Mosfet blocks are were shipped from Mips this morning - I'm expecting them Friday.

The cable sleeves will be shipped on the 18th of November.

More coming soon.

Thanks for reading.
Fallen HWCer

Another small update.

The very kind folks from performance PC's did me a favor and shipped some bits that I forgot to order super quick.

First up another Scythe Fan:

Why 1x fan you ask?

Because I only ordered two extra the first time around, and I've allotted room in the final base design for the added height of 6x scythe fans. Delivering ~800CFM - realistically lower of course.

Also I'll be cooling the Alix integrated Linux firewall...because...er...um...those 433MHz Geode's are so... hot?. And it looks cool.

Enzotech did a fine shine job on this as well:

Lastly my first attempt at purchasing G1/4 plugs was a fail [see left], so I got "plug plugs" [see right]:

My fillport#1 - more on how these will be used later:

I've also repainted the keyboard, still needs sanding and more coats but it wont stop raining. Many more keyboard updates to come.

more later.

Thanks for reading.
Fallen HWCer

Update time!

I took delivery of my chipset waterblocks today.

These are courtesy of Mips Computer Germany, these blocks are absolutely beautiful. Mips makes a damn fine product - with service to back it up too.

I'll let the pics to the talking today:

Only 1-more waterblock outstanding - and that's the R3.0 CPU block from Watercool. I hope it arrives soon.

More to come. Thanks for reading.
Old December 3, 2008, 09:35 PM
Fallen HWCer

Thanks guys, small update.

I still have to sleeve the tubes with the nylon multifilament sleeving - much of the layout finalization will be done with the copper shrouds that are still not finished. The shrouds will also act as guides that will keep the hoses neat.

More soon.
Fallen HWCer

Slight revision, and a tubing diagram.

Fallen HWCer

The sun is out so I got some better pictures.

Here is the 'fillport' for the first loop - this will be a bit more complex later on.

Here is the 'fillport' for the second loop, This T will be swapped for a Q and too will have a bit more added to it.

Here's where the Pico Rad will be mounted:

Here is a super simplified version of what will -sort of- be happening later.
*click for big*

I must stress that this is just the beginning, I have quite a few surprises left for this loop.
Also I will note that because of the second loop I'll no-longer be running the blocks in parallel - like my first diagram showed. The added tubes of the second loop kind of ruined that plan.

SO much more coming.
Tune in soon.