I have more to share but I'll save it for this evening.
My NAKED RAM courtesy of Corsair - 8GB of 1066mhz Dominator.
My Dominator compatible Mips RAM Freezer 4 has arrived as well. This this is BEAUTIFUL, a fantastic peice of engineering. The build quality is top notch.
Here they are installed:
I have several more updates to share, but I've been really busy the past week and I've not had a chance to take pictures. I'll post more stuff this evening - with that will be pics of some more Corsair goodies.
Small update. I wanted to upload these pics last night but Photobucket had other ideas.
I've started ordering my hardware for this project. In the form of Brighton Socket Cap Allen Bolts, and Coutersunk Allen Bolts.
I still havent got my hands on the smaller bolts as they were special order, but here's the big stuff.
The below sizing ranges from 4-40, to 1/4-20 - I've ordered a couple hundred in each size.
I got 100 carbide rods, the purpose of these will be revealed much later.
With those come six 36"x1/2"x1/16" copper flat bars. I will be bending these to fabricate cable ties and wire harness brackets.
Also, 15' of 3/8" split loom tubing - this will be used on the Pico watercooling tubes, and on a couple wires that wont be seen.
I also started bending my prototypes, and as expected I don't have the tools to do this to the level that I desire.
In light of this I've taken the liberty of sending the whole fabrication of these parts to China.
I will have a Chinese company fabricate these things to perfection from copper plate in the near future.
The parts that I have will work perfectly for what I intended them to do - these aluminum bits will be installed to allow me to continue fabrication of other parts. Also I've already made a couple of design changes that will be applied to the final copper bits.
Since I want to minimize the airflow resistance on the main radiator mounted on the bottom of the unit I'll need to construct some feet that are 2.5-3" tall.
Aesthetically this is no easy task, and not something that I've addressed to date.
I've spent the past few hours in Illustrator trying to solve this large dilemma.
I've come up with the image below.
The intent here is to use a bunch of carbon fiber panels spaced ~0.5" apart to make a sort of skeletal base structure.
*click for big*
I've come up with a few extra surprises to go with this base design.
However...I'd like to ask what you all think of the concept first.
I've already devised a way of incorporating the PROMETHEUSCU logo into the mix - it was simply too complicated for me to be bothered drawing in perspective (at this time).
My intent is to put and LED in between every layer to allow crazy lighting effects
The flat part seen at the very bottom of the illustration acting as a flat base will be the uber carbon panel, shown earlier.
I'd love to hear your opinions and suggestions on how to add feet to this rig.
Rest assured that I still have a few tricks up my sleeve with the case feet design, and a few ideas to better integrate the fins along with the rest of the case... but I'm going to leave you all guessing what they are.
I've gotten quite a few questions asking me what software and technique I used to produce my concept Illustrations.
As with my earlier "prototype part illustrations" the case feet concepts were drawn Adobe Illustrator. The images above are not 3D models - like you'd get with Sketchup - they are only 2D perspective illustrations. In fact it would have been easier and faster for me to do these perspective drawings by hand... but everything is just so much cleaner on screen.
I'll post a couple of images tonight showing how the drawings are done. Essentially they are just drawn using the line tool - one line at a time, doing my best to eyeball the proportions while staying true to the perspective.
I do it this way because of two major reasons:
1: I like to do perspective drawings, and I like to leave a certain degree of the design to my own internal vision. When I use 3D apps I find myself letting the program dictate my design, often this happens when trying to conform to the limitations of the tools available in the software.
2:Illustrations like the above depend less on exact dimensions and allow more flexibility (at the cost of time).
The only major disadvantages to 2D illustrations is that when you want another view, or even a subtle camera shift you need to do the drawing over again. Also... drawing curves - like the ones in my first foot revision - is a real pain in the ass, and takes a fair bit of understanding perspective principles.
One minor change... I don't like to add things that don't serve purpose, so in adding fins to the top I had to create purpose.
This is what I came up with - there's a bit more to the whole process, but this should give you the idea:
*click for big*
I haven't shown this feature yetm because it would be a **** to draw the inlays in perspective, but I'll do my best to explain.
My plan is to cut the PR[/B]OMETHEUS[sup]CU[/sup] logo lettering out - leaving me 3-4" tall solid 1/8" thick copper letters.
Then I want to cut an 1/8" slots into the cross section of the fins. Letting me inlay the lettering perpendicular to the fins.
Ok I got half way though that last bit and figured I could just make a pic in less time:
forgot to add:
here is how the drawings are made... more or less:
*click for big*