Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2008, 08:28 PM
Fallen HWCer

The CoolerMaster Aquagate Duo generously donated by xtreme0915 of the SliZone forums has arrived today!

I will be using the Aquagate's clever little waterblock/pump assembly to cool the pico board.

Here is how the waterblock will be mounted to the Pico-ITX board. Note that I've yet to construct a proper bracket for mounting.

Here is a pic of the board next to the rad that will be cooling it.

Here's a quick glimpse of my desk right now, it's been sitting like this for about a month... I really need to pick up the pace.
Fallen HWCer

@crazedmodder - Thank you very much, hopefully you wont be waiting too long.

My machinist (who is doing all my work for free BTW) called me today declaring that he will work though the night if necessary, I'll have the prototype parts cut tomorrow. It's been a crazy time for him and I can't really hold anything against him considering the predicament, also he just moved his shop to a new building at the beginning of Sept.

I have a new dilemma however.

Corsair has been kind enough to provide 8GB(4x2gb) of Dominator 1066mhz RAM with no heat spreaders attached, only they've expressed a little caveat which has me thinking.

With these MIPS Computer GmbH has been very kind and has sponsored me with a RAM Freezer 4 memory waterblock:

However since Dominator ram has additional PCB height to aid in heat dissipation:

I'm concerned that the Dominator RAM may not work with the RAM Freezer 4.

Of course I could ask Corsair to provide a RAM from the XPS series that does not have the extra height, but I'm waiting for MIPS Computer to get back to me with measurement specifications.

I've also taken delivery of a couple other aesthetic items this week, I'll have pics up tomorrow or early weekend.

Thanks for reading... and waiting... see you all soon.
Fallen HWCer

Sorry for the delays folks, but my metal is still not cut (don't get me started... I'm pissed) and until it's installed I cant really do a whole lot else.

I decided to try my hand at fabricating panels from my fabric. These were soaked in resin and pressed at an obesene pressure of several thousand tonnes.

You don't get this look from carbon decal!

The next one is the closest thing to a definition of "indestructible" as you'll ever find. I don't know how many layers there are in this - but it's about a 1/2" thick. It will be used for a few structural components.

I've also got a few yards of copper mesh, I have a few plans for this stuff it looks really cool when wrapped tightly around wires and cables.

Another generous donated product courtesy of Mach over at TheBestCaseScanario's forums. Some braided copper sleeve.

Lastly we've got 100' of 18gage copper flat wire to be wrapped around the black tubing for aesthetic reasons.

Also the metallic copper paint I ordered on July 27th is still not even shipped yet which is holding up some of my smaller mods.

I'm just playing the waiting game from now until when my metal is cut. I've done a few little things like lapping my GPU's and CPU, other than that noting big.
Old December 3, 2008, 08:29 PM
Fallen HWCer

SOME RELEVANT NEWS!

I've got Watercool Germany on-board now. They've generously offered to provide some waterblocks from their new 'Heatkiller' V3.0 lineup coming at the end of October. With this addition I'll be removing the D-Tek Fuzion and perhaps cooling the motherboard as well.... which calls for another Aquastream XT pump IMO.

I'm very very excited about this - I have to give some credit to ModSquad as I've never heard of the Watercool Heatkiller before he posted the image of one of their blocks in his CopperHead mod. Suffice to say I fell in love and had to have them.

For those of you not familiar with the HeatKiller blocks, here's a tase:

More to come, thanks for reading.
Allstar

My System Specs

Seen the log over at xsf, I can't wait to see the finished product.
Fallen HWCer

I HAVE UPDATES.

I spent two days learning Rhino/Visual Mill/ToolPath then I spent the last day cutting (actually I'd call it 'watching the machine cut').

I admittedly went though a couple of 1/8 bits but I expected to break a few. The machine took just over 10hrs to cut the parts out (damn grills!). I've not yet started cleaning the edges of these prototypes but I'm doing that soon.

I'll let these teaser pics speak for themselves.

HERE are the aluminum prototypes that once filed/bent/installed will be replaced with finely machined copper.

I started with some 1/2ply wood and a scrap 40"x40"x1/8" hunk of aluminum.

I then booted up rhino and prepared the parts for cutting.

Holes were drilled for screws to hold the aluminum down.

10 long boring hours later:
rad grill:

MatrixOrbital Typhoon enclosure/PSU mount/and Right side drive bay enclosure.

Left side drive bay enclosure:

Bottom rad housing - lower tray.

Top fan grill:

Front face plate:

Some of the cuts look a little wonky in the pics but all the cuts are straight and clean - they just have quite a bit of burrs that need filing down - which I should be done by this weekend.

Here is the keyboard - pre-modding:

Thanks for reading - tune in soon.
Fallen HWCer

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the support.

The CASE

The MESS! (parts everywhere - on an under the desk)
Old December 3, 2008, 08:30 PM
Fallen HWCer

Update time.

Today I decided to finally fabricate the mount for the Pico-ITX waterblock/pump.

First I made a prototype from cardstock at 1:1 scale.

The I busted out the dremel and attacked a scrap piece of aluminum - left over from an old Lian-Li mod.

After an hour or so of hand filing, a couple quick bends, and a few holes drilled we get this:

It's then mounted to the pump/waterblock:

If you'll recall I did some modification to the stock Pico heatsink. I've now finished off these mods with a few counterbored holes:

The waterblock is installed onto the stock heatsink

Finally this entire assembly is mounted to the Pico-ITX board - which is already mounted onto a bracket holding its PSU/IO/HDD. The entire thing can now be mounted into a standard 5 1/4" drive bay.

The whole thing still needs some final edge cleaning and most likely a coat of black paint - other than that she's all done.

Thanks for reading - more to come soon.
Allstar

Langer you are one Talented young man dude! Very nice & keep us fellow Canucks updated on this to Eh! heh
Fallen HWCer

A simple question to Corsair has led to a some new developments which I will elaborate upon once the parcel arrives. This mystery parcel will be shipped tomorrow (hopefully).

I have to give a HUGE shout out to Robert from Corsair... who has been a massive help - even after that time I accidentally called his cell and woke him up (time zones are a pain). THANKS ROB!

Also some news from Mips

That RAM Freezer 4 has been reengineered and now supports Dominator class RAM. This new trinket was shipped out yesterday and is on it's way here from Germany as we speak. As an added bonus this item will soon be available from Mips if anyone else is interested.