Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
HaDeS

When langer is done he's gonna make love to my case :P
Old April 20, 2009, 11:19 AM
MVP

yeah, didnt think they would
every day I look at this build it reminds me that I still need to get the receipt from my sister for the table she bought me to get it swapped (its cracked)
Old April 21, 2009, 12:36 AM
Fallen HWCer

==== Morning ====

No breaks...I can honestly barely move my left wrist and my joints on my right hand are all but seized but there's work to be done.

There are 25fins along each side of the case, 50 total.
Each fin has 3 holes for support rods.
Each hole had to be drilled larger...
If not enough I had to step my hole size 3x to ensure they remained centered...
That which makes for a total of 450 holes.
Then -oh yes there's a 'then'- to clean the edges of each hole I had to go at them with a countersink bit (on both sides of the fin no less) which makes for another 300 'holes'.

To wrap it up - last night I made a whopping 750 'drills' and needed to cycle my 12v DeWalt battery 6xtimes.

For now I'm going to soak my hands. I've been working at it all night. More progress later I'm going to rest for a couple hours.

==== Afternoon ====

I ordered another sheet of copper this morning as well.
The weight of the pieces would be far too great if I went ahead and cut them from the 1/8" plate I have now.

You'll note that my latest part revisions focused on copper layered over carbon fiber... well there's method to this madness.

I'm going to now use 1/16th inch copper plate (48"x48") to fabricate my parts - and it'll be reinforced from behind with carbon fiber where necessary. This works two ways structurally and most definitely aesthetically as well. This will also half the weight of those parts.

==== Evening ====

Spacers are all complete now - they have been given a coat of Varathane and are currently drying. Pics will follow tomorrow - or soon after.

I ordered a special gauge of threaded rod. 1/32" larger than the ID of my spacers.
I put the rods in my drill and filed them to the exact size of the spacer ID.

The size of the holes I drilled in the carbon fiber fins is 1/32" under the ID of the spacers.
This means that I actually have the "thread" the rod into the fins and the copper spacers fit between.

I did a test fit before I cleaned and painted the spacers - the fit is so perfect that it becomes quite a pain in the ass to assemble. 0 tolerance. =)

I estimate 4-5solid days on this fin assembly (from cutouts, to cleanup) but I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks for reading... much more to come. Copper arrives Wednesday. ;)
Old April 21, 2009, 10:24 AM
MVP

.......just...
dunno what else I can say
Old April 21, 2009, 06:20 PM
Fallen HWCer

Today I did some polishing.

First up... I NEED to share today's discovery:
I went to Canadian Tire today looking for some more Tremclad anti-oxidation clear cloat.
While looking I found a product called Tarn-X... and this stuff is unreal!
It's only 8.99 for LOTS, it has the consistency of rubbing alcohol and it smells like death.
{edit}"That lovely stink is thiourea. This is probably what your piss would smell like if you were a sulfur-based organism and not a carbon-based one." -Rubidium{/edit}

Here's my little demo.
BEFORE:

AFTER: (elapsed time... 1second)

Unreal, eh? I know you wont believe it until you see it, so I took a video with my berry:
VIMEO.COM VIDEO LINK

===
note: I'm not finished polishing yet, but I wanted to get the pics in before the sun went down.

Here are some incomplete results:

and before I forget, here are the fin spacers drying:

Thanks for reading, tune in soon for more.

Last edited by Langer; April 21, 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:07 PM
Fallen HWCer

Jeeeze... this stuff is unreal.

150years of rust and grime... gone in 5 mins.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing that works better, is a Aluminum Foil Pan, with Baking Soda in it, and a light 12v current run through.
That will take care of any conductive metal with 100% efficency.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 22, 2009, 04:02 PM
Fallen HWCer

Parts ready for a coat of anti-oxidization clear enamel. Permanent bling anyone?

A great deal more copper pron coming tomorrow. Tomorrow is a new day with new parts to share. =)
Old April 22, 2009, 11:56 PM
MVP

permashiny? man...just...wow
Old April 25, 2009, 07:33 PM
Fallen HWCer

....MUCH PROGRESS TO SHARE.... after I've rested.

I've been awake and up since Thursday!
At 12:30 Thursday I went to the shop to finish the fabrication on the parts needed to assemble Prometheus.
It's 9:22PM on Saturday now... I got home about 8mins ago.
For the last 3 days I've had more problems and setbacks than I thought to be conceivably possible.
Countless frustrating hours of MASSIVE problems later I'm done (but an LCD monitor took one for the team during my fits of rage, Hahaha)
I haven't slept more than 4hrs (becuase I passed out when I sat down... lol), and all I've eaten is a dry unsatisfying plain bagel.

I'M EXHAUSTED AND ABSOLUTELY STARVING (I'm about 10mins away from having a distended stomach methinks) ALL THE COPPER AND CARBON PARTS ARE CUT.

Here's the low-down now:
I am 100% complete all the Carbon components.
All that needs be done now is to debur and file the copper, then have it bent to shape.
The next couple days I'll take care of that... then I'll pack everything up and have it shipped to BC.
If you're wondering why I'd do that; it's because I'll be moving to Vancouver this week (I'm located in Toronto currently).
That means fabrication will be done this week - FINAL assembly happens next week.
THAT MEANS.... PROMETHEUS WILL BE RUNNING IN A FEW SHORT WEEKS.

I was supposed to be complete before moving to BC... but a couple people and many 'things' prevented that.

AFTER TWEAKING AND SOFTWARE ADJUSTMENTS - 100% COMPLETION IS SCHEDULED FOR MAY 31ST. (this time the date is absolute).