Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2009, 12:05 AM
MVP

its a platform/base (see like the voodoo envy desktop PCs...but more agressive looking)
platform to get the bottom mounted 320 rad some chance to get air
Old April 19, 2009, 12:38 AM
Fallen HWCer

@ImmaPCDude... I even included pictures of exactly what it's for. *face palm* Also I had two or three entire posts dedicated to these pcs a few weeks ago.

Furthermore... I KNOW neither of you read that last post. Otherwise you would likely have commented on the first sentence.

{edit}
If you aren't going to at least take the time to read what's written - don't bother posting
{/edit}

Here are some detail shots showing the pain in the ass that was.

Here's the making-of the spacers:

First up some dimensions:

Here are the tools involved:

The stages of construction - because I used a displacement style cutter I'm left with a large burr on the edge. I used a countersink bit to ream out the inner edge.

Note the funky looking tool on the right.

I made this little device using some plastic washers, some old hardware, a micro nut driver, and a broken dremel bit. (The nut driver was replaced with a drill for most of the sanding). When you tighten the screw the rubber expands ans holds the spacer nice and firmly to make sanding easier:

Repeat process 144 times... and as my joints stiffened and as the blisters grew in number I soon learned to loathe these items:
Old April 19, 2009, 01:04 PM
HaDeS

Lotta work in this build.. only one question tho. If you planned on polishing all the copper wouldn't it have been easier to do before cutting? :-)
Old April 19, 2009, 01:54 PM
Fallen HWCer

I tired that at first but the cutter scars the surface.
Old April 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langer View Post
@ImmaPCDude... I even included pictures of exactly what it's for. *face palm* Also I had two or three entire posts dedicated to these pcs a few weeks ago.

Furthermore... I KNOW neither of you read that last post. Otherwise you would likely have commented on the first sentence.

{edit}
If you aren't going to at least take the time to read what's written - don't bother posting
{/edit}
Well it was a few weeks ago...I must've forgot...sorry!

And you said it was a teaser too... I dunno
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 19, 2009, 05:33 PM
MVP

I read it, no real words to put the amount of insane effort/cash put into the system, and as far as my base/platform..that's going back from when you were still DECIDING on how you were going to do it back in XS (and the voodoo envy PC came up)
Old April 19, 2009, 05:56 PM
Fallen HWCer

Lol sorry guys. Apparently I was a little moody at 4am after crippling my hands with cuts, blisters, and muscle cramping - haha...

You just reminded me... goddamn I want an Omen! but they won't sell me one, current VooDoo owners only (for now anyway).
I even asked if buying an Evny would qualify me for an Omen... *shot down*

I want to mod that work of art! It's an incredible machine and one of the only radical takes in design to come about in recent times. Words do not describe how much I want one (maybe they'll sponsor me a chassis for a mod? lol).
Old April 19, 2009, 07:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

omg the omen is beatiful

have u seen the envy 133?
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old April 19, 2009, 11:02 PM
MVP

riight, thats what it was, the omen, not envy...
I had a customer who had a voodoo laptop once (looked identical to the one in CoD4, right down to the tribal tat)...he was..less than pleased when HP took over and he wanted to do a mobo upgrade (he was assured when he bought his that the chassis itself would accept any new mobo that came out) and was told that he had to buy a new laptop
no offence taken man, I know I can get pretty crabby after 2am, lol
Old April 20, 2009, 08:24 AM
Fallen HWCer

Arekieh - Ya man, like I said. I asked them if buying an Envy would qualify me to buy an Omen - they said no.

Dragoon - Returns are not an issue for me; I make a habit of voiding warranties in the pursuit of moddery (usually in the first week of ownership). The Omen would be no different.