Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 13, 2009, 11:08 AM
MVP

is that the custom ribbon cable you were having made?
Old April 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
Fallen HWCer

It is - it was about 50% cheaper to get grey. I have a 'tub' of black rubber coating here - it'll get the treatment soon enough.

Here are some better images of the ATX wire - still without a black rubber coating. I tried to get pics of the solder joints but it'll have to wait until I next remove the motherboard.

This wire probally took me 5-6hours to fabricate... and another 45mins or so to solder it in place.

The sun was out, so I did a fit test today. I'm pleased, I hope you will be as well:

Here's the Pico-ITX w/ it's 40mm rad hanging below via VHB tape:

Power source for the 40mm fans on the rear chassis wall, and the LED on the rear of the RAID card:

Note the SATA port location... right smack in the way of the watercooling ports - I'll have to flip this block 180degrees

I'll leave you with this for now:

More proper updates later. I'm going to do a little experimenting with the Ethernet port -among other things- this evening
Old April 13, 2009, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That's amazing. Sorry for not acknowledging that you did say that this was only for experimentation and not upgrading, totally slipped my mind =D

It looks almost done! How much more/what percentage would would you say you have to do/you are at?

Forgot to ask, does the thing turn on with the ATX cable soldered on? That's cool!
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 14, 2009, 08:12 AM
HaDeS

Pretty sweet build mate... i've been lurking on this build for a while. :)

Did you win the lottery or something... jesus...

Old April 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
Fallen HWCer

I've got sponsored support already to the next project - I've worked the price down to under 5K USD tax/shipping included.

So I FINALLY received by two Copper AquaComputer AquaTube reservoirs today...

These are MAGNIFICENT - they weight a tonne but they are so sexy. Lots of respect for AquaComputer!

Old April 14, 2009, 11:03 AM
MVP

is your next project going to be in your custom built cases? and...holy *explicit deleted* both are going to be a few stages above epic
Old April 15, 2009, 07:27 PM
Fallen HWCer

The next one will be a completely scratch built case. I will have cases available in limited quantity soon enough.

This is far from the prettiest thing I ever put together - but it gets the point across and I did it very quickly.
I crudely added in some of the parts. Including a very rough idea of the final reservoir locations:

Here are the latest iteration of the reservoir mounts - it took about 5hours of measuring and remeasuring to be certain that they are level with one another. I don't want 2kilos of copper throwing off the visual balance.

The "right" res will hang from the PSU area in the front and the back will mount to the fan - it's mounted so that it flows straight into the mosfet block. I'll need 4 spacers at the back to keep the reservoir fronts flush with one another.

The "left res fits into the slots on the hdd bay cover plate.

More soon.
Old April 15, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The W/C loop looks to be pretty complicated, but it's well worth it for this project. I LOVE those res's, they look sweet.

I know they're already made (although not 150% sure), but I wouldn't put those copper plates on the back of the GTX 280's, I dunno it makes too much glare and makes it look a bit...overwhelmingly shiny? Just an opinion! =D
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 15, 2009, 10:13 PM
Fallen HWCer

There's another later of carbon going on top of the copper gfx plates. lol

(I've thought of everything. I've literally spent entire weekends observing, measuring and visualizing)
Old April 15, 2009, 10:57 PM
Top Prospect

all I have to say is 0.0

U R GOD. no seriously.