Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2009, 07:56 AM
Fallen HWCer

Lol there is more concern about finger loss than there is about power draw... it's nothing that a dedicated Meanwell 12V PSU can't handle should I come to need it.

As for hearing... this is a SHOW computer; hearing wasn't part of the design criteria. Hahaha.

I'm am slightly concerned about the capability of the fan controller I've read varying stories about it's performance. Some people get clicking and squealing when loading it.

Worst case scenario I'll build a circuit to ramp up the wattage output of my zalman controller.
Old March 13, 2009, 09:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

you are crazy :)
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old March 16, 2009, 10:53 PM
Fallen HWCer

@arekieh - True - but would you have it any other way?

I made a 'few' revisions to the part designs over the past week.
I've settled on the -absolute- FINAL design for this project.

I'll give you a taste below in the form of my Concept drawings, but you'll have to visualize the bends yourself... As for where these parts are going to be installed - you'll just have to wait and see if you can't already.

Black Lines = Cuts.
Dotted Lines = Bends.
Grey Lines = Rastering.

48" x 48" = 2mm copper plate
*click for big ~3000px*

36"x 36" = 1mm 'Rigid' Aerospace Milspec Carbon
*click for big ~3000px*

36"x 48" = 1.58mm 'Ultra Rigid' Aerospace Milspec Carbon
*click for big ~3000px*

Illustration showing how Carbon and Copper come together - minus the raster etchings.
*click for big ~3000px*

Comments are welcome as always. Pictures follow Wednesday.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:15 PM
Allstar
F@H

hell no :)
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old March 17, 2009, 10:58 AM
MVP

epic build re-nearing completion..warning, warning, hold onto your underwear, and keep fresh supplies handy
Old March 17, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

^^Yeah, what he said and all that.. >.>

I've been watching this for a bit (although I missed a good portion, but I caught up) and this is Absolutely.Frigging.Amazing. I'm no good at keeping time, but have you an idea as to how long this project's been going on? I admire your tenacity as well =D
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 17, 2009, 08:43 PM
Fallen HWCer

@Dragoon - Sooner than you think mate... I'm putting this project on a expedited time scale... I'll be working overtime until it's done.

@ImmaPC - Thanks for that man. I stared planning this project in November of 2007. I began ordering parts in March/April of 2008. Construction of PROMETHEUSCU began June 08. The case stood 'stock' for few months - images. However it is the cumulation of a lifetiem of research experice, trials, and many many errors.

I watched for years what people have built and designed in this scene, and I've assembled a lengthy mental list of all the neat techniques and applications that I've seen - topped off with things I would like to see.
I then decided to accumulate as many of these ideas that I've been gestating on for years into 1 project. An easy enough task in principle, however I've been humbled many times trying to apply it - many unforeseen variables and roadblocks. That's the fun part of it all - I like to add new challenges, slowly I've been incorporating more and more into the project and it's slowly getting more and more exciting.

I'm still sticking to a very strict guideline for the project overall, but as I've learned new things over the past year I've felt it fit to expand along with the overwhelmingly enthusiastic community supporting it. The more posts, suggestions, advice, support that I'm faced with the more I want to incorporate that advice.
Where I'm going with this rambling is this:
I've watched and learned so much from this and other modding communities over the years, it only seems fit to repay that with what ever small advice or inspiration I can offer. It's the heartwarming comments of support that really drive the progress of many mods it seems, and it's amazing to be a part of

Update

The cutting is going extremely well.

The freshly tuned CNC router is running like new and the cuts are perfect.
I should have most if not all of the carbon fiber parts ready tomorrow evening.

The only drawback is that CF eats through carbide like butter - hence the reason why I was hoping for water or later cutting. I'm using 1/16" high grade 2 flute cutters - every 100inches or so I have to adjust the height to use a fresh sharp spot on the cutter.

I'll go though a few cutters before the day is done methinks. =)

Stay tuned! Exciting sexy CF bling, and perhaps some "quality" blackberry videos of the router in action coming soon =).

I know I'm excited... it's been too long in the making.
Old March 17, 2009, 10:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

the only thing not fitting with my head is how ur gonna fit everything into it. That case is tiny. i had the same one just not the special edition
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old March 17, 2009, 10:07 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The part that doesn't fit in my head is that the computer is going to be obsolete and slow by the time it is done.
Old March 18, 2009, 07:49 AM
Fallen HWCer

Now that I have a day-today machine (and a few more in the works). This machine will probably only ever run a total of about 50hrs... it's a example of design and application more than it is a computer.
I plan on pursuing a career in product design, this project is in a way nothing more than a glorified resume.

After it's made the tours to all the BYOC conventions of interest, Prometheus will simply sit on a desk looking pretty envious of my next build.