Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2008, 12:08 PM
Fallen HWCer

Thanks a lot! I appreciate all the very kind words of support.

My Grandpa is still kicking, even the doctors say he should be in the Guinness book.

About 15yrs ago he was diagnosed with a severe form of Alzheimer's called Picks(sp?). At this point in time he is all but completely brain dead.

He's been in intensive care at a psychiatric hospital for the past few years.
Last year before Christmas we decided not to replace his pace-maker battery - and we were told that once the battery dies so would he... that battery died a year ago now and he's still fighting.

Seeing him now was heartbreaking to say the least. He is on a morphine drip to stay off the pain, he's on oxygen because his lungs are dieing, and he's bed ridden with a 24hr nurse.

He has an average heartbeat of about ~20BPM!!! and is still kicking.

He's always been one of the toughest SOB's I've ever met, and even in the final moments of his life that stands true.

I'm very happy to have seen him one last time - as it's only a matter of time now.
By all medical definitions he should have passed over a year ago, recently he took a turn for the worse and was given only a few days... and now it's nothing short of miraculous that he's still with us.
Old December 31, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

You know some might not believe, but I think he might have done something very good or helped someone that God is giving him a long life, it is God's grace that he's still with you.

Well.. If he passes away, sorry to hear and may his soul R.I.P.. Sometimes believing doctors, I dunno... I hope you get to see him even longer now..

Belated Merry Christmas wishes to both of ya and family, and happy new year to you..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old December 31, 2008, 11:35 AM
Allstar

Awesome project, love the look. That sleeving is very cool.

Shame about your grandpa, mine passed recently, so I know the feeling all too well. Yours sounds like one helluva tough SOB, though, so that's something to be proud of!
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old December 31, 2008, 06:07 PM
Top Prospect

Holy cow...that's intense...I don't know what's more scary...the situation he's in or the fact that he's still alive after all that...holy cow...

My buddies grandma is kinda like that, but in a different way...

Mudslide stopped at her feet, literally, when she was like six
She was in Hiroshima when THE bomb landed (and still doesn't have cancer)
Survived 2 (?) one for sure heartattack.
other shit I can't even remember

Some people hunh...

And I still complain when I have to shovel the driveway lol

Soon up and running:
Thunder
ASUS Rampage II Gene \\ Intel i7 920 \\ EVGA GTX 275 \\ Corsair 6GB 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 \\ WD Caviar Black 640GB \\ Blu Ray Drive \\ Corsair HX620W \\ NZXT Rogue
Old January 1, 2009, 03:45 PM
Fallen HWCer

The human spirit is a powerful thing. Thanks for the kind words mates.

I came back from by brief 'holiday' to have this baby waiting for me:

A custom PrometheusCU edition Watercool Heatkiller rev3.0... and DAMN!!! this block is a work of art - the internals alone are dead nuts perfect.

More soon, I'm just getting back into the groove of things on my end.
Old January 1, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nice block !!!

wow do i want access to my own CNC machine...

Very awesome.

----

Head up about the other thing too mang.

-----

Old January 7, 2009, 09:01 AM
Fallen HWCer

I've been swamped with real-life the past weeks.

however:
I spent the past few days building myself a reflex still for making -among other things- potato vodka.

The irony here is that I don't even drink.

I just decided to try something new to keep my fresh. I'm constantly doing things like this - I have an insatiable desire to learn new things.

For example: About a month ago I built some Ham radios for myself and a friend. My goal was to be able to chat from a laptop -> through a Morse code oscillator -> across the air -> back into another oscillator -> into another laptop. I saw it as a sort of post apocalyptic/zombie invasion communication plan. It worked by-the way, and before long we had our own AM radio station... before almost getting fined - did you know these things need licenses?

I haven't yet taken and pictures of the completed still but I'm gong to start with some teasers for you all. The entire still was built for about ~$150.00 and the construction assumes that you care capable of soldering copper pipe and have very basic DIY knowledge.

I plan on distilling for the first time on Friday/Saturday - I'll then post a log of the parts/construction/process/recipe/and the dangers.

For now here are some teaser shots:

The 90% complete article - before cleaning:

Eventually I'd like to make an automated Laptop controlled still with computer controlled valves, heaters, and a PC radiator with fan control.

Hahahahaha
Old January 7, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
For example: About a month ago I built some Ham radios for myself and a friend. My goal was to be able to chat from a laptop -> through a Morse code oscillator -> across the air -> back into another oscillator -> into another laptop. I saw it as a sort of post apocalyptic/zombie invasion communication plan. It worked by-the way, and before long we had our own AM radio station... before almost getting fined - did you know these things need licenses?
Hahahaha

man I wished that I had the room and money to do that and this project sort of thing my mind gets bored so I try to learn new things but living in a small place and lack of funds puts a huge damper on things.
by the way Great project and what are the Marbles for?
Old January 7, 2009, 12:27 PM
MVP

This is a great project! Done right, proper, so it works the best and most importantly done the way you want it! That's the best way to do things. I'm sure a lot of pride resides in this project, and for good reason!
It's very nice to see people doing this sort of thing and presenting it because it not only inspires others but also sheds some light on the "you can do it if you try" concept. I wish you luck with the rest of your modding and hope to hear more here on HWC!
Thanks for sharing.
Old January 8, 2009, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nice Job !!

I assume a thermometer goes in the top....

---

I should get a pic of my distillation rig....same kinda pot , diff condenser.