Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2007, 07:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Hmmmm, looks like i might have to go with vista afterall.... How are the SLI drivers right now(for vista)? My current system is an ATI so i havent checked up on the NVIDIA stuff as much recenty.
Old May 11, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure, I know that in the last three weeks, they've introduced two news sets of drivers, but the first didn't include 8800 SLI vista support- not sure if the most recent one did or not. Personally, I'm still debating on whether to instal Vista 32, but I really don't think I would install 64, as there's very little developement for that platform- maybe someone esle could throw in their two cents on this.

I would at least try it with MCE, if that's what you have, and see how it works- might be just fine. (other than only 2.6-3.2 Gigs of RAM being used)
Old May 11, 2007, 09:03 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I just double-checked the nvidia drivers page and according to them, their current vista 64 driver supports dx10 for single cards and dx9 for SLI. Yay! They also go on to say that DX10 SLI will be available in a future update. Booyeah again!

From NVIDIA.com:
"
This driver supports the following 3D features:
  • Single GPU support
    • DirectX 9 support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
    • DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8 series GPUs
    • OpenGL support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
  • NVIDIA SLI support
    • DirectX 9 support for 6/7/8 series GPUs
    • OpenGL support for 6/7/8 series GPUs
DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8 series GPUs will be available in a future driver"
Link: Windows Vista 64-bit (Scroll down)

Last edited by CMetaphor; May 11, 2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old May 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Cool, that is good to know as I'm picking up a copy of vista 64 next week as well.
Old May 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually- I've been reading up on Vista today to try to figure out where I stand on it- I've always thought that people were over-enthusiastic with their Vista-Bashing (I have engaged in some low-grade bashing myself). After today, I think that I will install Vista when I get it in the next couple of weeks (free upgrade pckge)- I think that while not perfect, it is probably better and more stable than XP, and will only get better over the next few months as drivers and games are better optimized for it. I guess I'll just have to try it for myself and decide, but at least now I know that I WANT to try it.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; May 11, 2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 11, 2007, 10:23 AM

Yeah the only motivation to get vista for me is to utilize 4+ gb of ram. I know it is slower than xp in all benchmarks so my only use at this time will be memory reviews. At least it is pretty cheap, $109 for vista 64bit basic, donít need premium or ultimate that just gives more services and programs I have to remove/disable. Should become faster soon when people figure out how to optimize and drivers get better hopefully. :)
Old May 11, 2007, 10:48 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

If you have an Athlon64 you should at least consider getting the 64 bit version of vista Eldonko. More and more programs are offering greater compatibility with 64 bit processors, so its work the few extra bucks. As of this moment, i think that for my own system ill be getting Vista Home Premium 64bit (for the media center prettyness/recording) and be happy that my new system running Vista will still be much much faster than my old one running MCE'05.

Now I just need my motherboard to get going..... C'mon NCIX!! Dont let me down! (Or else im going on local trips to find a damn crosshair, lol).
Old May 11, 2007, 11:47 AM
JayDee

Grats CMetaphor

That should rock!

What PSU did you get? I see in pic it is Silverstone but doesn't say model # in you sig.
Old May 11, 2007, 12:13 PM

@ CMetaphor - Im off AMD until they come out with something that can compete. ;) Sorry for the OT..
Old May 11, 2007, 12:53 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
Grats CMetaphor

That should rock!

What PSU did you get? I see in pic it is Silverstone but doesn't say model # in you sig.
Just updated my sig, lol. Can't believe with all the stuff listed in it that i missed something, hehe. The PSU is a Silverstone Strider 1000w Modular Power supply (ST1000) with 135mm ultra silent fan and support for Quad SLI, etc. Its overkill at the moment, i know, but I plan on keeping this as my psu for years to come. Maybe it'll get more usage whyen i have 8+ cores and quad sli, lol.