Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 04:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I would love to play with that cpu!

I'm in the same boat as you RE motherboards-I think I'm going for the Gigabyte UD5 this week, been looking at the high end DFI offering as well- but I'm not so sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post

So this project is back on the rails...

I need a new camera before I can make it interesting for you guys though. The Cosmos S is finished and the interior turned out amazingly well....

I'm still up in the air over the GB Ud5 or EVGA X58..

For Graphics I'll be getting an EVGA 295 next week.. and I may go water cooling if I can afford it after this haah

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old March 12, 2009, 05:19 AM
MVP
F@H

Dang, get the camera 1st.

I can't take it anymore. NEED PICS....
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old March 12, 2009, 08:46 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

the evga looks way better than the gigabyte. I have the evga and it's been great.
Old March 12, 2009, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
the evga looks way better than the gigabyte. I have the evga and it's been great.

The EVGA is the one I want the most but can I fit a soundcard in if I populate the top PCIe with a video card?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've got my Xonar DX in the bottom PCI-E 16 slot. Works fine.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:41 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
The EVGA is the one I want the most but can I fit a soundcard in if I populate the top PCIe with a video card?
nope, not a double slot gpu. But you can move your gpu to the second slot, it's still 16 lanes.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah hes right, if you populate the top you wont be able to use the 1x, but like Sugarj pointed out the x16 in the middle will work just fine if your SLIing with a card in the bottom or any of the 2 will work too. Can you move your main GPU to the 2nd slot on these boards? I thought you had to use slot 1 for the main card? I thought you where SLIing akimbos with this rig?
Old March 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Yeah hes right, if you populate the top you wont be able to use the 1x, but like Sugarj pointed out the x16 in the middle will work just fine if your SLIing with a card in the bottom or any of the 2 will work too. Can you move your main GPU to the 2nd slot on these boards? I thought you had to use slot 1 for the main card? I thought you where SLIing akimbos with this rig?

I was; I sold one of the cards and will be getting either a 295 or a 285 for this rig sometime next week. I know it's confusing; I have a lot of parts laying around for this right now. Two cases (soon to be three!); two PSU's (soon to be three too!, an i7 965, a i7 920, about 15 Noctua's plus about 100 bottles of spray paint hahaha

Once I decide on exactly what parts I'm using I'll update my first post and start posting pictures of the case work. My Cosmos S is done however I also have a Lian Li X500 (bought on sale; not sure I want to use it) and am considering the CM Sniper (which I'm picking one up this weekend haha).

I'm actually considering selling the Noctua's (I bought them to fill the Cosmos S, and going with the sniper.. even though I put upwards of 200 dollars worth of paint work into the Cosmos S.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 12, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Damn thats alot of paint work man, only time ive painted a case it took me a day and like 2 cans of primer and 2 cans of paint lol, probubly spent $40 on the entire deal, must be a damn nice job =D I wish I had a 965 just laying around =(
Old March 12, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
Damn thats alot of paint work man, only time ive painted a case it took me a day and like 2 cans of primer and 2 cans of paint lol, probubly spent $40 on the entire deal, must be a damn nice job =D I wish I had a 965 just laying around =(

Yeah I took the entire case apart; took out every last rivet. then a coat of self etching primer with a coat of regular primer on top followed by countless coats of satin black until finished; then I put it all back together with aluminum rivets. It took me almost 6 weeks from start to finish because I could only paint on my balcony which was dead in the middle of winter and as such I could only do super fine coats before things got too cold to work with so I had to take it super slow. Not to mention things like the door latch on the Cosmos S had moving mechanical parts and I had to paint that very carefully so as not to ruin the function of it; plus I painted accents in metallic black to give it cool look.

Ugh; I'll get a camera ASAP and post it.