Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Finally! Some pictures!

Haha, man it's not easy modding a case in a 2 bedroom apartment with cold weather like this, I literally have to paint outside and then bring this stuff into my living room on the floor to dry! got all my windows open and PHEW it stinks in here today! hahaha

Here is the new front panel primed; although the case is missing all of it's shrouding you can get a very rough idea of how it'll look later. The front magnetic latches come right up to the sides of it and the space at the top is for the DVD drive. The space at the bottom is covered by the outer cladding as well.

Here is the PSU vent at the bottom of the case. This part has been a pain in the ass to be honest hahaha. There was this really terrible foam "gasket" thing placed on the bracket in this spot that was annoying to remove. Eventually I had to drill out the rivets and remove the riser (shown further down) and soak it in goo gone to finally shed it of that stupid foam. I intead to use a clear rubber gasket of higher quality here later.

Here's the riser that had the stupid gasket; Cosmos S users will know what I'm talking about. Not only was it uselessly thing it wasn't put on right and hung over the edges and looked terrible.

This is only the first coat of primer. It's now drying with it's second.

Here are the cross latches that house the mechanism to unlock the side side panels. At first I wasn't sure how I'd handle painting these because I obviously didn't want to paint them while attached to the case - I didn't want to gum up the internals and make the opening/closing of the door less fluid. I ended up drilling the rivets out of where it was attached and deciding to paint it. I removed all the internal latch components and will only be painting this outer piece. I've chosen to do some VERY minor accent pieces with a black/sparkle look - it's VERY subtle in person, here the light shines a lot but in person it will only be a slightly noticeable versus the satin black on the rest of the case. I plan to make the HDD/front fan part this colour and also the PSU Riser as well. That's it! The rest will be a satin black.

Nut's N' Bolts, Batteries, Dremel bits, razor blade's and a drill but with stupid rivets stuck on it now hahaha.. I've probably punched out 20 rivets on this thing already and replaced them with new ones.

These are chrome plated cross brackets that go in the top and bottom at the front and back of the case. Obviously I didn't want to paint them; but they were hell to remove - I had to drill out rivets and cut the case with the dremel to get them out. Once the case is painted i'll put them back and and re-rivet the thing together. Should look snazzzzzy!

Well that's it for today; I've got to do some other things with my day off haha...

Hopefully tomorrow I can get to priming and painting the actual chassis and so on. next up I need to order my cable managment crap and a few more fans etc.. :)
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 13, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking good Cam one day at a time, the finished product should look great. Fans? that must mean more Noctua's don't you have enough already.

EE

Who's the chic in the avatar, new girlfriend?
Old December 13, 2008, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Looking good Cam one day at a time, the finished product should look great. Fans? that must mean more Noctua's don't you have enough already.

EE

Who's the chic in the avatar, new girlfriend?
Haha, yeah well I want to get 8 in there not including two on cpu cooler.

That's the same girl as before btw hahah
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good news and bad news!

Good:
Got everything painted over the holidays!

Bad:
My camera went missing when my little sister had a party here. This is the only picture I have of the chassis, it's from my webcam and looks terrible.

The paint job went extremely well, you get a bit of an idea of the two tone going on with satin black and metalic black on mainly the panel bracket/latch. also note the back panel was kept aluminum so it dosn't get scratched. I'll get a new camera fixed up soon and take some real pics.

Also the best part ever, my 965 had a lose IHS!!! LOL sent it back to intel and they sent me a new one, of course cause it was free it took awhile to get it worked out as it was an off the shelf item not bought anywhere.

Ordering up my mobo/psu/vid card/memory very soon!!!
Old January 12, 2009, 08:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That sucks, but it sure looks good!
Old January 12, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Cam I'd let you borrow mine but I still haven't got back my PSU hint hint I'd like to RMA it before 2011 when the warranty expires but its no real hurry

Missing huh...sure it wasn't stolen?

Let me be the second to say those phone pics are just awful as soon as you get a camera take a replacement shot.

Adam

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 12, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha yeah, hey I'm off tomorrow should I come by and drop that thing off, maybe have a beer or two?

Camera was definitely stolen; sucks but nothin I can do now. Funny cause it's the one I just bought a month or so ago to replace the one I dropped the month before that!
Old January 12, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Keep up the good work. I wanna see what else you come up with... wanna do more to my case.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old January 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
Top Prospect

Did you sand your case before painting it? is there a specific type of spray paint you used? just asking since I've been thinking of painting my case.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't sand, I do a lot of painting on metal and there are two schools of thought around it. I don't like to sand because it damages the thin aluminum in my mind. If it's a steal case I may sand; but that depends on if it's got a coating on it or not. I use Dupli-color paint; although Krylon is equally good. I like Duplicolour for the acrylic enamels they have and their self etching primer.

I paint very slowly and do MANY coats. On this case I used three cans of self etching primer for the base, then went through 16 cans of acrylic enamel satin black for the top coats lol. very thin coat after coat coat. It hardened like a rock and looks great.

Anyways I need a new camera to show it better lol.