Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2008, 04:30 AM
MVP

Default Apologies for the delay...

Hi everyone, it's been a while, I'm sorry. I got my new build all done...it's been done for a while, but I've had other things going on (one of them being gaming and some more personal things as well) so I haven't been able to get a build log up here.
I will be working on it now, sorry it won't be the same as posting it while building it but I'll put it up anyways!
I have been back to the site a few times lately reading over a lot of posts, so don't think I've forgotten about this place! Hopefully I'll start posting it this evening.

Thanks again to everyone that helped me with the build, I really appreciate it!
Old November 6, 2008, 05:35 AM
MVP
F@H

Brian, you're back! How's that rig doing?

Patiently waiting for pics.

Ok, waiting but not patiently.
Old November 10, 2008, 04:34 AM
MVP

Alright here we go, time to post how it all went together.
First let me mention that I do have pics, but I'm not entirely sure if I have all of them. I will include as many as I can.

All images are smaller versions, click to view full size.
*Warning* they are large (2592x1944) images full size

First, I got the 5 boxes (including one printer box) that had all the parts and extras in the late afternoon, opened them up and took a picture of the parts and their packaging:

Final specs were:
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Processor: Intel Q9550 2.83GHz Quad
CPU Cooler: OCZ Vendetta 2 with Scythe S-Flex 1600RPM 120mm fan and Artic Cool MX2 Thermal Paste
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000w
Video Card: HIS HD4870x2
RAM: Mushkin XP PC2-8500 Dual Channel 1066MHz 4GB (2x2GB)
HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB
DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S223F
Fan Controller: Sunbeam Rhoebus Extreme 6 channel
Monitor: Samsung 2443BW-HAS 24inch
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
Extra Fans: 2x Noctua P12
Mouse Surface: Razer Exactmat dual side (speed, control) 265x330mm + Wrist Rest
Printer: Lexmark X2470 All in One (Free with $40 MIR) Got it for my mother

Next, the inside of the case: the starting point.

First thing we did was put the CPU in the motherboard and get the heatsink ready:

Then mounted the board inside the case, or as I like to call it (in this case) the dwarfboard :

Next was the installation of the heatsink, hard drive and the fan controller (sorry this one I don't have a better picture of) The heatsink made us nervous, we were using the pushpins at first, didn't like pushing them down so hard like that, but eventually got them in, explained more in the notes at the end:

Next, in went the power supply (the cables were just put in there like that to start, were rerouted later):

Here's a look at the front, on it's side. I left an empty slot there because I might put something in the middle later, and it would look better to have 2 disc drives together than 1 drive, a fan controller, and another drive. That's my mother in the picture:

Now here's a picture of the cables we put through the holes in the motherboard tray. We weren't sure how to wire all the fans, ie. we didn't know weather you could piggy back them or not. After doing some research and asking some people I know through gaming as well as posting at NCIX we put them 2 to a connector (of the Antec stock fans). The rail cords (I think that's what they are) that come with the PSU were handy in wiring the fans. I will post a quick diagram I made earlier once I get back on my other PC showing the way the fans are wired up.

From the minute we took the motherboard out of the box we noticed 2 things.
First, there were a large number of bent capacitors, including one that was bent so much that it seems to be touching the one beside it, but after doing research and consulting opinions (again posted at NCIX hehe) it seemed not to be a worry.
Second, one of the RAM slots is bent...or twisted in some way. Picture below shows it better. It's only bent at that one end, and I'm not using that slot anyway so again just went with it.
What we did next was rearrange some cables and install the middle Noctua P-12 fan on the middle HD cage:

Put the RAM, video card, and last Noctua P12 on the side panel, screw it on and it was time to boot!

Alright, the moment of truth...the first boot. Double checked all the wires and made sure everything was tight on the motherboard and pushed the power button. Nothing. Then my mother said oh wait, forgot to turn the switch on on PSU on. Pushed it again and it booted up first try!

Notes:
First thing was very important, the heatsink with pushpin configuration kept popping off, therefore we ordered the Thermalright LGA775 bolt thru kit and put that on.

Second, (in the same order as the bolt thru kit) was an Antec spot cool fan for northbridge cooling, seeing as how the chipset fan didn't fit with the Vendetta 2. Still haven't been able to get that fan blowing directly on the northbridge as the video card takes up a lot of the much needed room.
With that spot cool I had to use an splitter 3 pin extension wire, I was hesitant as I didn't know if it would work with it or not, and it worked great. I spent almost 2 hours trying to route the splitter around, there was nowhere for it to go. Finally I tried to tie wrap it to the side of the rear fans, eventually succeeded. Stuck the unused end of the splitter through one of the water cooling tube holes to get it out of the way and hold it there

Third, we ended up mounting the heatsink so it blew air up rather than to the rear of the case because
A) The second HD cage fan + the middle Noctua P-12 are blowing slightly on the video card but a lot of air is just being taken in and then not used and immediately exiting through the PCI slots.
B) The 200mm fan at the top of the case works well to take the air directly out from the heatsink nice and quick, so there's no warm air lingering.

Ok so now here are some pictures of it set up.
Right now I'm cleaning my room to get ready for a redesign. It's going to get pained Tony Stewart's colors, have a TON of posters, and some shelves, the whole works. We've got the paint and just need to clear the room out before we paint, I'll definitely post pictures on here somewhere when it's all finished! So for now please excuse the spirratic posters...and yes, I am Canadian and that is an Obama Biden sign on my wall. GO OBAMA!

First picture is of the desk with all the lights on, including the ones above the desk with the computer off:

This is complete with the Logitech G5 mouse I ordered last week to complete (so far) the setup. I switched from an MX510.
3 of those 5 speakers are useless right now as I can't find the other cables (grey and gold) for the rear and left I think connections, I've only got the green one right now haha.

Here is a picture with the lights off, computer on (Forgot to turn the top 200mm LED on, oops!) I've only got 2 fans hooked up to the controller right now so I cranked the other 4 switches up just for the picture :

Here are some pictures of the tower itself, inside and out:
Some of them are shaky, I was under the desk so there wasn't much room and the camera settings were weird

High speed setting on the camera caught the blades of the side panel Noctua P12 while they were spinning, except it looks like they aren't...how cool is that?!?!

There's the build! I will update and post again later today when I have more time. I'm having a LOT of issues with the system, including one that requires me to run memtest as we speak.
Thanks again to everyone that helped out!
Old November 10, 2008, 05:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice build

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old November 10, 2008, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well done Brian (and your Mom). Nice rig.

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!

Last edited by misterlarry; November 10, 2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: forgot Mom
Old November 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
MVP
F@H

Sweet! Did you set the correct voltage and timings on the ram in BIOS? (sorry if this is obvious to you but have to check that first if you are having issues)
Old November 10, 2008, 08:39 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Shouldn't your heatsink be mounted so it pushes the air towards the fans at the back, not upwards?
Old November 10, 2008, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Shouldn't your heatsink be mounted so it pushes the air towards the fans at the back, not upwards?
The 1200 has a 200mm fan right above there like the 900's. It doesn't hold heat in.
Old November 10, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i can confirm this as i have alot of heat generating stuff crammed into a 300 and runs nice a cool :)

Old November 10, 2008, 11:17 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

My P5K premium manual says not to do this as the cross flow will disrupt the heatsink push fan.