Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2008, 07:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Thermalright T-Rad 2 Worklog

So, I decided that I wanted to change the cooler on my 4870 card and the review here inspired me to try the T-Rad. There are better coolers, it seems, but the lower profile meant that I didn't have to move things around in my case.

First, the parts:

The dis-assembly went well. I found I needed a very small philips to remove the backplate screws though.:

Placing the chip heatsinks. I tried to make sure I covered the VRM chips well, but when I ran my tests I found out that more work is needed in that area, somehow.

Heatsink and fan installed:

Card installed back in the computer:

A nice picture showing the blue leds off:

The machined at idle using GPUZ, ignore the fan setting as this fan is plugged into the MB and is not controllable in that configuration.

The card under load with the T-Rad, note the VRM temps... hot!

The stock fan under load, see the fan speed and VRM temps. At 45% the fan was very loud though.

Overall I am pretty happy with the HS and Fan. The GPU idle temps are way down, the fan is very quiet, in fact the case fans now are louder than the GPU cooler, and my only concern is the high VRM temps. I am trying to follow different threads on this and I believe that most discussions point to the fact that the VRM chips are rated for very high temperatures. Since my load test was Folding at 100% GPU I don't think that I will worry too much as the gaming temps will probably be less as the GPU usage cycles up and down with the graphics load.

Thanks for reading!
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop

Last edited by Dwayne; November 4, 2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Getting the name of the product correct!
Old November 4, 2008, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent pics and glad to see that you finally found a quieter solution to the stock setup. I am patiently waiting for the HR-03 GTX for nVidia to be released and I will also have my alternative to the rather loud stock heatsink fan solutions, although for comparative purposes it will be interesting to see the difference between the stock which forces air out and the HR-03 GTX pushing it around and how that might affect case temps and surrounding components.

EE
Old November 4, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm jellous,

I wish there was a good cooler for the 280...grrrr

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old November 4, 2008, 08:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Excellent pics and glad to see that you finally found a quieter solution to the stock setup. I am patiently waiting for the HR-03 GTX for nVidia to be released and I will also have my alternative to the rather loud stock heatsink fan solutions, although for comparative purposes it will be interesting to see the difference between the stock which forces air out and the HR-03 GTX pushing it around and how that might affect case temps and surrounding components.

EE
I have found, so far, that my case temp is down a little since I change over. It hovered around 29 before and all evening it has been pretty solid on 26. Ambient in the room has been 20-21. I have the fan attached so that it is blowing air over the HS instead of trying to draw air off the card, it seemed like the right way to do it to me.

I really thought about the massive HR-03 but the space between my vid card and the sound card would have been very tight, and I didn't want to move the sound card down closer to the power supply. Time will tell though, but so far, so good.
Old November 4, 2008, 08:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Very good cooler when installed properly, just a little pricy. Also it's made by Thermalright...not Thermaltake.
Old November 4, 2008, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

You're tempting me, I screwed up first time by WC, don't want it to happen again.

Dwayne, if you don't mind me asking, did you get this cooler b4 or after the prices jacked up. How much did it cost you ?

And 39C.. wow impressive.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 4, 2008, 09:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchutch View Post
Very good cooler when installed properly, just a little pricy. Also it's made by Thermalright...not Thermaltake.
That's what I get for trying to do everything by memory. I have this box right beside me with the name on it and everything too! Ouch.
Old November 4, 2008, 09:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
You're tempting me, I screwed up first time by WC, don't want it to happen again.

Dwayne, if you don't mind me asking, did you get this cooler b4 or after the prices jacked up. How much did it cost you ?

And 39C.. wow impressive.
The price from NCIX was $52.00, I think DC had it for $50 but I didn't feel like price matching for the $2.00... Not that I am independently wealthy though, some days I think I should have gone with the Accelero S1 but I really liked the look and reviews the T-Rad has earned so far.
Old November 4, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah its hard to pass up thermalright we grit our teeth when buying their products but as the old rule of thumb goes "You get what you pay for" Thermalright never seems to dissappoint and they are an extremely well made product.

EE