Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2008, 10:24 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default 1st Build - Fast and Silent

I am looking for some feedback on what I am planning for my first build. Been doing lots of research and this is what I came up with.

Requirements:
Fast PC for Video Editing, Rendering, Photo Editing. Hopefully able to leverage CUDA in Adobe CS4 and other future products.
Silent. Less than 24 DB at 1m.
Spend less than $1600 if possible.

What I am thinking of:
Mobo: Asus P5Q-E
CPU: Intel Quad 9550
GPU: BFG 9600 GT OCX
RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Disk1 (already have) : 3 x 500 GB Seagate RAID 0
o Windows
o Video editing/Rendering Projects, backed up to eSata drive to work on projects while on the road.
Disk2: Samsung 1GB
o Photos, user files, finished video projects backed up a NAS
Cooling
o XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
o Remove the Antec fans
o All airflow to flow from front to back
o Block the top Fan Grill
o Scythe KAMA BAY SCKB-1000SL 120mm 120mm Fan for 5.25" System Cooling
o Remove slots for airflow out from around the GPU
o 4 x Noctua NF-S12-800
 Replace the rear Antec
 Replace the Kama Bay Fan
 Add Fan where upper HD Case is
 Add Fan in lower compartment
o 1 x Nexus Real Silent Case Fan D12SL-12
 Replace Fan on the HeatSink
AcoustiPak if there are funds left over for silencing the case
Old October 9, 2008, 10:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry, Cat, you've mentioned removing and replacing fans, but in which case?
Old October 9, 2008, 10:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

Just about to ask what case as well.
Also, i would splurge on the GPU and get a gtx 260, espcially if you want to do alot of rendering and using CUDA
Other than that all your choices look solid IMO
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old October 10, 2008, 07:17 AM
Rookie
F@H

Oops. The Case would be the Antec P182.

I was looking at the gtx 260 but didn't see any reviews of specific cards indicating they would be quiet enough. If I went to the gtx260 I think I would have to replace stock cooling. My preferred choice for VGA cooling was Arctic Cooling Accelero + fans but its not compatible with the gtx260.

Then there is that budget aspect. jumping to a gtx260 and adding vga cooler adds an additional $150+ likely pushing me over the budget.
Old October 10, 2008, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I got an EVGA 9800 in special for 99 $ last week at ncix, and let me tell you, that thing is silent with stock cooling. I also used to own a accelero and plugged a yate loon on it = nice temp + silent.

also, good call on replacing the antec Fan, they are more than noisy. I would still try to get a fan controller, this way, you could tweak the voltage to really fine tune the noise level. Also, you could buy cheaper fan, like the Zalman or Loons and under volt them this way you get more control at a lesser price whitout making a real impact or your cooling power.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old October 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Rookie
F@H

found some reviews on the loons and it appears as though its the same as Nexus but slower rpm and a lot cheaper. Can't find any reviews on zalman fans and I want to be certain they are quit.

The asus board can control 3 chassis fans, 1 power fan and 1 cpu fan. So I may be able to use those instead of a fan controller. The problem I have with a fan controller is where to put it. I have used up all my 5.25 bays (1 dvd, 3 bay fan) leaving me with only a 3.5 bay.

As for the GPU, I am seeing the evga 9800 on sale at tiger but no wheres else at that price. That card looks like it will fill my needs. Thanks for the feedback!
Old October 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
Allstar
F@H

I have a P182 already, and its already so quiet. I dont know why you would want it any quieter. In the middle of the night when everyone is asleep, i can barely barely hear it.
I wouldnt replace anything in it
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old October 27, 2008, 03:23 PM
Rookie
F@H

Well, I finally pulled the trigger. Noticing the prices start to increase due to our dollar, I thought I better get a move on.

In my hurry, I think I made a bad pick on the video card. I ended up getting a EVGA 9800GT Superclocked edition. Now that I received it, I am sure its not going to be nearly as quiet as I wanted. Its a single slot card and I can't imaging how that tiny fan is going to cool the card without a bunch of noise. To add further salt in the wound, I ordered it on special from NCIX and it appears to have been returned as the metal is bent on the slot tooth and screw hole.

Still waiting on the case and PSU to be delivered before giving it a go.
Old October 27, 2008, 03:30 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnhat View Post
Well, I finally pulled the trigger. Noticing the prices start to increase due to our dollar, I thought I better get a move on.

In my hurry, I think I made a bad pick on the video card. I ended up getting a EVGA 9800GT Superclocked edition. Now that I received it, I am sure its not going to be nearly as quiet as I wanted. Its a single slot card and I can't imaging how that tiny fan is going to cool the card without a bunch of noise. To add further salt in the wound, I ordered it on special from NCIX and it appears to have been returned as the metal is bent on the slot tooth and screw hole.

Still waiting on the case and PSU to be delivered before giving it a go.
Turn the fan down to 30% it will cool it fine, as long as you dont overclock.
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old October 27, 2008, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to HWC, catnhat! Looking forward to seeing the build log. You can always go to an Accelero GPU cooler if you want cool and quiet.

Also, are you an Oiler's fan?

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!