Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 25, 2008, 05:36 PM
MVP

Default Iamcanadian7's water build

Well my parts finally arrived today and just finished unpacking them. Unfortunatly NCIX was short on 2 of my fans, so push/pull will have to wait till next week.

Pics of the gear:

Opened up my MCP655 and saw that the dial was at 2 out of the box so I got a flathead to adjust it to 5. SNAP!.......oh shit. Luckily thanks to needles and the power of google I managed to take the back off and adjust it wth a phillips.

So as of now I'm trying to decide where to mount my rad/pump/res. I've decided on the front of my case but am still wondering how everything will work where it is. I've heard that the res should be the highest thing in the loop. I've also heard it only needs to be higher than the pump. Whice one is it?

As of now im going to start tearing down my tower, I'll be updating this as I go from my laptop. Stay tuned!
Old September 25, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Woot Fun!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old September 25, 2008, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

As long as the reservoir is the only opening the in the loop, it only has to be higher than the pump. Which reminds me - I can't remember if Feser rads have a bleeder screw, but if they do, give yours a little tightening before filling the system.
Old September 25, 2008, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great to see another watercooling build.

You should post some pics of the case too for any ideas. Just put the Res above the pump and thats it, also the pump intake needs to above the outlet if you mount it onto the side of the case.

One thing though, those Bitspower barbs are very shiny, almost too shiny, they don't have any Aluminum on the outer surface do they? I ordered some myself and I dont want any galvanisation in my loop!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

The BP fittings aren't Al, I know that much. Can't remember if they're plated with SS, chrome, or nickel, but they're safe. Would've been reamed ten times over on XS if they weren't.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Good to know MPG

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:46 PM
MVP

Alright good to know about the whole pump thing. That seemed to be the most logical but I wanted to make sure.

Yes the Feser rads do have a drain port on the bottom, I'll give that a good tighten before I fill her up. I'm pretty sure NCIX listed the Bitspower barbs as stainless steel, altough I'm positive they're not aluminum.

So far I have modified my case a bit with the dremel I bought last night (50 bucks at crappy tire, can't beat that). I cut out a square from my motherboard tray for easy block swapping and removed the aluminum trays that enclose the hard drives.

Hole in the mobo tray

Middle hard drive cover removed (3 drives will be in the bottom, hence why I left that one)

Aluminum really eats my cut off wheels!

OK, so this is what I've planned as to how I will mount my rad. Red is rad, blue is fan controller and green is cd drive.

For the res/pump, this is what I'm thinking. Red is pump area and blue is res area.

Any other suggestions on how I could run this would be nice. Some input from you experts on how this loop should function when it's all together would be great. I plan on using some packing foam I'll grab from work to keep the rad in place. I don't really feel like fabing up some brackets.

I'm off to mount the cpu block and toss back a few more Keith's.

Oh, almost forgot, Pump>Rad>Cpu>Res>Pump correcto?

Last edited by Iamcanadian7; September 25, 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old September 26, 2008, 04:49 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Your loop sequence is fine, but not securing the rad is not. You'd better take the time to properly attach it to the case - full of liquid, it is rather heavy and I wouldn't want a rad moving around inside my case.
Old September 26, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Your loop sequence is fine, but not securing the rad is not. You'd better take the time to properly attach it to the case - full of liquid, it is rather heavy and I wouldn't want a rad moving around inside my case.

I second that,

a rad is heavy, and if it falls you have chances of doing major damages.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old September 26, 2008, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

I third Charlie's suggestions, getting the rad to be properly mounted is one of "MUST DO" steps in water cooling, it can ruin somethings... The front also looks quite huge, if you can get it to mount in the front, probably that also works.

I believe that pure water cooling is done internally, you can mount anything externally, but internal is where the phun is!!..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution