Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2008, 12:48 PM
Allstar

Default So, I got bored this week.

I sold one car, and the other one was in the shop. My PC broke down while I was watching a TV show. Turns out it was the PSU (which took a stick of RAM with it as well). I had another PSU, but that one also turned out to be flaky. My notebook was sent in for RMA to Dell.

So, for the past week, I have had no system with which I could do any work. No work and no car means I pretty much have nothing to do.

On Tuesday, I had to push my car for 2 km back home, after it died. Probably because it hadn't been driven in about 3 months, since I had a much better car.

On Wednesday, I actually had to bus it to Lachine and walk back and forth between the bus stop, UPS' hub, and Canada Border Services -- something around 18 km of walking. It was worth it, though, finally got my Ergohuman LE9ERG.

On Thursday, I assembled the aforementioned chair. Then, I took apart my Rocketfish case. Cut up the mobo tray to add some cable routes. Sanded it down. Then, I started to paint it, but quickly realized I forgot the primer. Sanded down the new paint again, started the first layer of primer. Ran out of primer and paint. Biked it up to Canadian Tire, got more primer and paint.

Blah blah blah, long story short, I finally put everything together yesterday. I really hate this PSU (OCZ ModXStream 600W), because it didn't let me use any of my freshly cut cable holes. The PSU's cables are way too short to route them anywhere.

So, what time-wasting stuff have you done in your absolute boredom?

Edit: This is the Rocketfish case before (not my pic, though):
Attached Images

Old September 21, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damn, you're really out of luck :P ..Personnally, I don't have time to get bored with university, gf, cs:s, computers, friends

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old September 21, 2008, 02:11 PM
Allstar

Friends? What are those?
Old September 21, 2008, 02:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Damn those short cables! heh nice custom hole for your MB power, to bad the damn thing won't reach. Thats such a beautiful case dude I'm so jealous. Ewe is that a IDE hard drive there ick..lol well at least you have a rounded IDE cable for it...You even painted the retention brackets very pimp, nice attention to detail S_G
Old September 21, 2008, 06:57 PM
Allstar

Attention to detail... not really. I was so frustrated after having to sand down the first painting job and making three runs to Canadian Tire just to paint the damn thing, I didn't even give it the third coat it desperately needed. Primer is still visible on some spots, underneath the bottom 5.25" cage wasn't painted at all, the edges of the HDD rack aren't colored completely (this one you can see in the pics), and I accidentally slipped with the screwdriver while trying to jam in the HDD cage (I put on thick foam tape to eliminate HDD cage rattling, and this made screwing in the cages damn near impossible). Granted, that scratch isn't visible with the PSU installed.

Eventually, I'll do a quick cleaning to add on a third, proper coat. I will most likely do this when I upgrade to Nehalem.

Oh, and in case you were wondering what those two rectangular holes are on the back of the case, I cut those to mount a 240mm rad on the back. Yeah, it looks ugly without a rad on there, unfortunately. Again, waiting for Nehalem, so that I can get a new CPU block that'll actually fit on the larger heatspreader.
Old September 21, 2008, 07:10 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You are aware that this Rocketfish case is actually a Lian-Li case? Where did you find it?
Old September 21, 2008, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You are aware that this Rocketfish case is actually a Lian-Li case? Where did you find it?
They aren't available in Canada.

You have to ship them up from the states and because they are no longer made they are few and far apart to be found.

You can find them for sale on hardforum on occasion or ebay.. but not that often.
Old September 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
They aren't available in Canada.

You have to ship them up from the states and because they are no longer made they are few and far apart to be found.

You can find them for sale on hardforum on occasion or ebay.. but not that often.
I know all that... I was asking the OP (whom is from MTL) where he found his.
Old September 21, 2008, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I know all that... I was asking the OP (whom is from MTL) where he found his.
oh well sorry mr.smart pants not everyone does
Old September 21, 2008, 08:17 PM
Allstar

enaberif's got it. I bought mine off a Hardforum member for the cost of the case and shipping, so about $100 (or $110, I forget). At the time, I was considering the $100 shipped Rocketfish (by Lian Li), and the ~$260 shipped Tagan Black Pearl (also by Lian Li). When it came to the cost, it was really a no-brainer. I figured I'd eventually find myself cutting up the case, and it was a lot easier to bear that thought on a $50 case than a $220 one.

I'm actually considering finding another one, and ripping out one of the HDD cages from mine into the new one. That way, I'd have 9 internal HDD racks, 11 if you include the 3.5" floppy cage, 19 if I get some 4-in-3 5.25" cages; great little gem for a storage server.

Hmm... Then again, maybe I'll just swap out this case as the storage unit, and then I'll finally grab myself a Black Pearl, or maybe even a PC-A7110 if I can find one.